Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-19-2009, 09:08 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
someone should copy and paste the link.
Nick Thompson: Hughes by decision.

Jeff Monson: [Itís a] tough call, but I think Hughes [wins] by close decision.

Roland Sarria: Serra by submission.

Pete Sell:
Iím in Vegas with Serra now. He is looking better than Iíve seen him in years. His ground game is sick and has some new tools, so it will be a problem for Hughes.

Rory Markham: I believe Hughes is back on his game as far as strength and confidence goes. I like Serra, but Hughes is my boy, and I think he is going to be too strong on the ground-and-pound for Serra.

Randy Couture: With Matt Serraís newly mastered striking abilities and his already phenomenal jiu-jitsu and wrestling skill sets, I think he has the potential to be very difficult for Hughes. This could be a pivotal fight for Hughes, considering [this might be] his last outing. Heís a tough, experienced fighter that you can never count out, but I believe Serra will win the fight. [There] could be some interesting fireworks along the way with their personalities, as well. It should be fun.

Marvin Eastman: Serra by submission, second round.

Guy Mezger: I will take Hughes. He outworks Serra but plays it safe, and [it could be] potentially boring.

Stav Economou: Iím really confident that Serra will win this long overdue fight, but the only thing that makes me a little unsure about Serra is his inactivity in the cage, having fought once a year for the last four years. Still, Iím predicting Matt Serra winning via TKO in the second round.

Michael Guymon:
I see Hughes going back to his brutal ground-and-pound style and wearing Serra down. [Hughes wins by] ref stoppage, middle of the third.

Scott Epstein: Serra may pull off another haymaker KO, but I doubt it. Yes, Serra does have a better BJJ game than Hughes, and I canít tell whose hands are better. Hughes might have to pull out his trump card, which is to control Serra with superior wrestling and just throw rabbit punches till the bell rings. I really donít see Serra pulling off a sub on Hughes. Iím thinking Hughes. May the best Matt win.

Jonathan Goulet: I will pick for Serra. He will have his chance. I think it will be a nice fight.

Patrick Cote: Iíll go with my buddy Matt Serra. I just canít stand Matt Hughes.

Stephane Vigneault: I think Hughes [is] gonna outmuscle Serra and win a decision or a TKO in round three. I think Serra is not in the good weight class, but, anyway, I think they both [are] gonna retire soon.

Elvis Sinosic: Hughes vs. Serra is an exciting match because it is a grudge match. Both guys donít like each other and will bring that to the cage. Both have victories over GSP. Serra is the grappler; Hughes is the wrestler. Can Serra out-strike Hughes before getting taken down? Can Hughes avoid the submission when he gets the takedown? My prediction is that Serra wonít land that big punch, though it is possible. Hughes will take Serra down. Serra is a good scrambler, but Hughes has great control. Serra has the ability to sub Hughes, and I wouldnít be surprised if he did. Saying that, I think Hughes will be able to avoid the submissions. Serra is better on the top rather than off his back. Hughes will be on top. Serra hasnít subbed a top fighter in a while, and I donít think Hughes will be the next. Hughes will ground-and-pound and grind out a decision.

Thomas Denny: I am not really exited for the fight. I will go with Serra [by] sub.

Ben Saunders: Serra by Tiger Uppercut, round two.

Robin Black:
Matt Serra seems like a funny Italian guy, and Matt Hughes seems kinda crusty. Iím gonna go with the pudgy Italian guy. Maybe heíll submit Mr. Crusty. I do know this is going to be an exciting fight -- canít wait.

Pros that picked Hughes: 8
Pros that picked Serra: 10
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Crisco
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 16
Randy Couture: With Matt Serraís newly mastered striking abilities and his already phenomenal jiu-jitsu and wrestling skill sets, I think he has the potential to be very difficult for Hughes. This could be a pivotal fight for Hughes, considering [this might be] his last outing. Heís a tough, experienced fighter that you can never count out, but I believe Serra will win the fight. [There] could be some interesting fireworks along the way with their personalities, as well. It should be fun.
Randy Couture has lost his fing mind.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-19-2009, 09:26 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
Randy Couture has lost his fing mind.
yes, i don't think that is randy .. he knows better ..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-19-2009, 09:26 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,324
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
well, to be fair, fighters most of the time know just about as much as noobs .. more fighters thought the following chuck would beat rua, shamrock would beat diaz, griffin over evans, chuck over evans and silva over rampage .. i wouldn't put too much stock into what these guys said .. on another note, most of those idiots are barely pros anyway .. what about what Cote said, he probably has never even met matt ... what a gimp
He was The Tiara's teammate on TUF 4.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-19-2009, 09:27 PM
ufcfan2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Well I would'nt call them idiots everyones entitled to their opinions. Its gonna be a good fight for sure and it could go both ways. It boils down to who can force their gameplan on the other and who makes the fewest mistakes.
I have'nt seen enough of Serra's fights to know how good his standup is I just know hes heavy handed. I know hes also got good jitts and I'm sure he's gonna be comfortable on the ground.
I'm rooting for Hughes,but its gonna be a rough fight for him for sure. I don't think neither has great striking compared to other fighters,but you can't dismiss the KO power Serra has.
Has Hughes ever KO'd anyone if not I think it would be a nice parting gift to get a KO.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

To all the hater fighters that made dumb comments about Matt. Wrong move. Miss Foxy will find a way to get ya back . See if they would have picked stupid Serra and have been polite about it I wouldnt be getting loca. However people like Cote really made the wrong move.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-19-2009, 09:30 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Cote's just upset because Vaseline is no longer allowed to be applied to the chest and back.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 4,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
well, to be fair, fighters most of the time know just about as much as noobs .. more fighters thought the following chuck would beat rua, shamrock would beat diaz, griffin over evans, chuck over evans and silva over rampage .. i wouldn't put too much stock into what these guys said .. on another note, most of those idiots are barely pros anyway .. what about what Cote said, he probably has never even met matt ... what a gimp
Exactly. those PROS pick 'em are usually wrong anyways. I'm glad Serra got 2 more votes. it seals it that he's going to lose...badly!
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 4,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Cote's just upset because Vaseline is no longer allowed to be applied to the chest and back.
Cote's pissed because of Matt's criticism of his fight with Anderson and his criticisms of GSP. Cote is a dick
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Crisco
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcfan2
Well I would'nt call them idiots everyones entitled to their opinions. Its gonna be a good fight for sure and it could go both ways. It boils down to who can force their gameplan on the other and who makes the fewest mistakes.
I have'nt seen enough of Serra's fights to know how good his standup is I just know hes heavy handed. I know hes also got good jitts and I'm sure he's gonna be comfortable on the ground.
I'm rooting for Hughes,but its gonna be a rough fight for him for sure. I don't think neither has great striking compared to other fighters,but you can't dismiss the KO power Serra has.
Has Hughes ever KO'd anyone if not I think it would be a nice parting gift to get a KO.
I'd like to point out that serra has only 1 TKO/KO and it was a fluke shot. Every other fight he has won save 5 of them have been submission wins. He has never finished anyone of value aside from GSP and all of his other wins come by way of decision.

Serra has **** standup and that GSP fight put the wrong image in a lot of peoples minds.

Matt Hughes has finished 14 TKO/KO's and 19 submissions in his career he has won 9 fights by decision and only lost 7 fights in his career the only loses being unavenged being GSP and Thiago Alves the current #1 and #2 WW and Dennis Hallman and Pele who are no longer relevant.


Serra is grossly overrated and Hughes is going to close this chapter once and for all.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.