Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 05-17-2009, 08:23 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Default Click it or Ticket

I keep seeing more of these annoying Click it or Ticket commercials latey, and I was just curious what everybody's thoughts and opinions on the subject are.

Personally I see it as nothing more than a tool that states use to generate revenue, but of course they say it's to save lives. If seatbelts are so important, why are motorcycles legal? Our politicians have no problem giving women a right to choose if they want to kill their unborn children, but heaven forbid human beings have the right to decide if they strap themselves into the seat of their car.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Stump Rules!

I do believe that seatbelts save lives and I'm sure it SUCKS to go scrape someone off the pavement but with that being said...I feel that if your 18 or older you should be able to make that choice for yourself ( not for children) and if it's your job to scrape people off the pavement and you can't then find another job.That's what my tax dollars pay you fools for

I personanlly always wear one because I don't want to be a scrapee.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 05-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Black Mamba

Yes the commercials are annoying, but I do think it's a good idea. I'll come back after I'm done with finals to fully respond to this since I have to study, but I'm going to leave you with these points to ponder:

A seatbelt saved my Mom's life. If she wasn't strapped in, she wouldn't be here now. She used to be the type that never really worn her seatbelt because it felt weird. Luckily, on that particular rainy day she was strapped in.

Do you know anyone who's survived a car crash that had been ejected from their car? Everyday my Mom and I drive past a turn where 3 young lives were lost because they weren't wearing their seatbelt. Yes, they were drunk and yes they were going to fast, but a seatbelt could have saved their life. Ironically enough, one person did survived that crash and it was the person wearing the seatbelt.

Would you rather pay the fines of a ticket or pay with your life? I rather be alive and take the ticket, then 6 feet under with worms eating my flesh. And then think about the cost of the ticket and traffic school verses the cost to put bury or cremate your loved one. Yes, I agree the ticket is another way for the state to make money off you, but I prefer giving the state $100 then paying up burial costs.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:55 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
I do believe that seatbelts save lives and I'm sure it SUCKS to go scrape someone off the pavement but with that being said...I feel that if your 18 or older you should be able to make that choice for yourself ( not for children) and if it's your job to scrape people off the pavement and you can't then find another job.That's what my tax dollars pay you fools for

I personanlly always wear one because I don't want to be a scrapee.
I had a close friend who died in a car accident in 2002, after he hit an electrical poll. The truck went up the guide-wire that anchored the poll to the ground and the truck flipped back over front before hitting the poll. He was thrown from the truck about 100 feet and the power lines came down on top of him. The investigators told his parents later that if he had been wearing his seatbelt he would have been impaled inside the truck. Either way, whats done is done, but at least they were able to keep him alive long enough for us to say goodbye.

I don't bring that up as some sort of argument against seat-belts, because I am sure that they do save lives in many cases. I don't wear my seat-belt all the time, but sometimes I do. I just think it's a personal choice, and what really irks me is that government acts like the reason they do this IS to save lives, but we all know it's really about money. I will say that I agree with having kids buckle up, but if you are old enough to drive, you are old enough to make the choice also.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:32 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mamba
Would you rather pay the fines of a ticket or pay with your life? I rather be alive and take the ticket, then 6 feet under with worms eating my flesh. And then think about the cost of the ticket and traffic school verses the cost to put bury or cremate your loved one. Yes, I agree the ticket is another way for the state to make money off you, but I prefer giving the state $100 then paying up burial costs.
Well, if you are wearing the seat-belt you won't have to cough up the $100.

Still, if you look at the statistics, it's not like the increased seat-belt use has really put a huge dent in the number auto deaths either. I am sure it has helped somewhat, but it's also worth noting that the people who release the statistics are also the same ones pushing the click it or ticket campaign.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811124.PDF
These stats show that the numbers have been hovering in the same area for 25 years, even with the increased number of people using seat-belts. If I had to take a guess at why their stats showing the fatality rate being so low in 2008, I would attribute it to less people driving due to high fuel costs.

Again, I am not anti-seat belt, just anti government bull-crap. If they wanna save lives, their are a lot of other ways to do it. Why do they need the money? Why not just suspend somebody's drivers license?
Old 05-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

In England, its against the law not to buckle up. would you ride a bike without a helmet??? no...well you shouldnt be in a car without a saftey belt Its also against the law to be chatting away on your mobile whilst driving. Handsfree set...or dont take the call. You know I was crossing the road the other day and this woman was chatting away, so I stopped infront of her. She had the audacity to beep so I came to her side and told her I'd report her liscense plate. She didnt like that.

Women drivers....LOL
Old 05-17-2009, 10:02 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
In England, its against the law not to buckle up. would you ride a bike without a helmet??? no...well you shouldnt be in a car without a saftey belt
Do you mean a motorcycle? Because you can still be thrown off the motorcycle even while wearing a helmet. If you mean a bicycle, then YES I would most definitely ride a bike without a helmet.

The argument here is not about the validity of seat-belts. It is understood what purpose they serve. The issue is with government having the right to take that choice away from you, and then doing it for reasons that are not very honest.

Last edited by J.B.; 05-17-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:13 PM
matthughesfan21

we've had fatal car accidents around here that the person has died because they WERE wearing there seatbelts and there passenger was thrown from the car, hurt severly, but still survived...this can go both ways, and I always wear my seatbelt, so it doesn't matter much to me....what i found ironic here in illinois is you must wear a seatbelt in the car, but if you decide to hop on a motorcycle, it is not required to wear a helmet...are you freaking kidding me? geesh....and what I found ironic is, police will drive by 3 meth houses just to pull someone over for a seatbelt, get your priorities straight, I know its easier to be a meter maid and make money without doing any real policework, but do your job for goodness sakes
Old 05-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
Do you mean a motorcycle? Because you can still be thrown off the motorcycle even while wearing a helmet. If you mean a bicycle, then YES I would most definitely ride a bike without a helmet.

The argument here is not about the validity of seat-belts. It is understood what purpose they serve. The issue is with government having the right to take that choice away from you, and then doing it for reasons that are not very honest.
you should be wearing a helmet one ANY BIKE...just like you should be wearing a safety belt in any car

Your free to do whatever you want on a train, or a bus mindue
Old 05-17-2009, 11:22 PM
logrus

JB I was just going to write about this same topic tomorrow after I was done with my last exam. I am with you 100%, its nothing more then a cheap ploy by our state to collect an easy revenue every few months. Its like you said, theres no seatbelts on motorcycles and they don't even wear helmets. The buses don't have them and neither do the trains.

Really it should be my right to if I want to wear one or not,