Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 05-21-2009, 02:23 AM
Stump Rules!

I saw the minivan coming to!

I think that's why I got so hurt. I tensed up like crazy ( as one would when you see a freakin' minivan coming up behind you at 50 ) and I just hurt all over, the seat had no head rest so my head whipped back and broke out the back window...the hair clip I was wearing ended up in the street behind the truck I was driving..I still get a second of panic if i look in the rear view mirror at a stop light Stitches and phsyical therepy was what I got

It was many years ago and I can still see that bitch coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake

Yikes, rear-end accidents are no-fun. I got rear-ended by a semi while sitting a red-light once. He wast going that fast but I kept seeing him get closer in the mirror and right before he hit us I knew it was gonna happen. That sucked, but we were fine. We were in a big ol' Cadillac.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 05-21-2009, 02:43 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
The source is fine, but its still only providing an ESTIMATE. Not actual statistics.

If you bothered to read the thread, you would see that I already debunked the theory that we are actually cutting down the death toll from the seatbelt law. The fatality stats have been hovering in the same general area for almost 20 YEARS
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811124.PDF

We can go back and forth, but it's pointless. My point has been made, and it still stands firm. The law is designed and in place to generate revenue. Nothing more, nothing less.
You can't go by that info. You have no way to factor in other information like how much driver population increased in relation to fatalities. And you don't know how many were wearing a seat belt.

This is from the SAME people

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811036.PDF
Old 05-21-2009, 02:48 AM
medic92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
If i roll my truck over and the thing catches fire , the last damn place i want to be is strapped inside of it .

If God says its my time then its my time , no 2 inch wide piece of nylon will stop his decision.
That's an interesting contradiction Mac. If you roll your truck over and it catches fire, won't you just sit there and say "if it's my time then it's my time" and wait to see if it's your time? After all, if it's your time no crawling to get out of the truck is going to stop His decision either.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:52 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
You can't go by that info. You have no way to factor in other information like how much driver population increased in relation to fatalities. And you don't know how many were wearing a seat belt.

This is from the SAME people

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811036.PDF
My point was the OVERALL fatality rates have hovered in the same area, for a LONG time and that is what my first link shows. People are still getting in car crashes and dying with seat-belts on or not. The people providing the statistics are also the same people pushing Click it or Ticket, that was another part of my point.

They don't factor in a LOT of things, which in my opinion makes it too hard to gauge. They tout that 2008 has the lowest rate in years, but they don't mention that many people were not driving as much when gas was $4 a gallon. I am not denying that seat-belts can save a life or serious injury, not at all. The point is that the law is in place to generate revenue and not to save lives. They merely say that they are trying to save lives, but if that were the case they could go about enforcing the law in different ways rather than petty tickets that people pay by mail and go on with their lives.

Like Mac said, he only puts his on when cops are around. If they really felt that the belts were absolutely needed, wouldn't they crack down hard, all the time, maybe suspend people's license? In the, end I think it's a personal choice, but I am glad that the topic has sparked such a good discussion. We can go back to critiquing Obama now,
Old 05-21-2009, 03:53 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
It was many years ago and I can still see that bitch coming

I hear ya there, sometimes I feel the same way. I even let off the break and roll forward sometimes.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:00 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
My point was the OVERALL fatality rates have hovered in the same area, for a LONG time and that is what my first link shows. People are still getting in car crashes and dying with seat-belts on or not. The people providing the statistics are also the same people pushing Click it or Ticket, that was another part of my point.

The point is that the law is in place to generate revenue and not to save lives. They merely say that they are trying to save lives, but if that were the case they could go about enforcing the law in different ways rather than petty tickets that people pay by mail and go on with their lives.
I understood your point. And I agree that if safety was the first concern then their efforts could be better used elsewhere.

But as far as saving lives, they say that in the areas where they are enforcing the seat belt laws that more people are wearing their belts thus they are saving more lives. They say it's working. But as you pointed out, it is the same people who are pushing Click it or Ticket. I would like to see the actual data of fatalities and see the percent wearing/not wearing their seat belt. I think only about half (52%) of the fatalities weren't wearing a seat belt. And I saw were something said that a seat belt would have saved 65% of those people. I have a hard time buying that because how could you really know? Unless, of course the victim was thrown from the car. In the case of being thrown, I see no argument. Clearly a seat belt would benefit in that case. However, I was surprised to see that only 52% of fatalities didn't have a seat belt on! I was really expecting a higher number. (note: I got the 52% from an article and not from statistics - couldn't find them.) I think the seat belt prevents more injuries than it does saving lives. I think if you crash bad enough you will die regardless of a belt.

I will go on record and say that anyone in my vehicle will wear the belt or find another ride. Sorry, I feel that strongly about it. However, I can't see me or the government telling you (adults only here) not to wear your seat belt in your own car.

Random stuff sorta-related here:

When we work a MVA trauma we only ask if the person was wearing a seat belt to look for 'seat belt caused' trauma (i.e. look for trauma where the selt belt was at shoulder, abdomen, hip etc.).

Seat belt in pregnant women are very important. It can be very dangerous. If you can't keep that belt across the hips and not sliding up then it could be a bad day.

Also, in a trauma if the person was ejected from the vehicle then that automatically upgrades it to a LEVEL 1. You expect the worst. And just Not wearing a seat belt isn't considered in the priority.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:43 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
I will go on record and say that anyone in my vehicle will wear the belt or find another ride. Sorry, I feel that strongly about it.
That just made me think of another interesting point.

I have a 2005 extended cab GMC Canyon pickup truck, and it has two seats that fold up right behind the driver and passenger seats, but those seats did NOT come equipped with seatbelts. I wonder why that is?

I thought it was a law that all seats in all cars had to have a seatbelt unless the car was built before seatbelts were standard?
Old 05-22-2009, 02:53 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

While I believe it's a good thing to wear a seat belt... I did it before it became a law...

In America, you should follow the law back to being a bill. See who was backing the bill and who the major forces are that were behind it. You know the people that push/bribe and convince the senate and local government...

Lobbyists.... Slugs.. roaches... something like that...
Old 05-23-2009, 04:01 AM
Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic92
That's an interesting contradiction Mac. If you roll your truck over and it catches fire, won't you just sit there and say "if it's my time then it's my time" and wait to see if it's your time? After all, if it's your time no crawling to get out of the truck is going to stop His decision either.

No , your missing the point , and its not a contradiction. I might die of a heart attack right here sitting in this chair . Does that mean i should have a set of paddles plugged in to try and thump myself back ? no dont think so .

I once had a lady in about a 78 ford ltd cut me off one day and slam on her brakes . I was in a ****box 94 ford ranger runnin about 40 , no seat belt and i rear ended her. I bent the steering wheel backwards when my chest hit it , the steering wheel itself was about 3 inches BEHIND the horn button in the center lol . blew the windshield out when my head smacked it . And i walked out of it without so much as a scratch. Not even a bruise.

My mom had an old caddy once , she had taken my sister and one of her friends to town to go shopping once , when they got to the mall they could not get my sisters friends seat belt undone . Finally had to drive to the dealership and they cut it for her . Piss on that , no thanks , big brother can keep his meddling little hands out of my life.