Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 05-20-2009, 11:18 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
Please show your research that backs up the claim that people not wearing seatbelts and getting in accidents costs the US or Canadian health care system significantly more money than it would if we did not have the laws... I would love to see it, because it don't exist.

I don't see what is the big deal in understanding that letting the government run every aspect of your life is NOT acceptable.

You have already admitted that the law is a "cash grab". So please explain how handing out tiny little fines is actually making people buckle-up.... Can you? I doubt it, because people who don't want to buckle up are not going to do it out of fear of a small fine. Making up false facts to give reasoning to a law, after the fact, is beyond dishonest. Don't tell us it is to save money on health care, or to save lives. Because it's neither. It's about MAKING MONEY.
there are many articles out there that say seat belt laws reduce health care costs, but when i post them, you will say they are biased, flawed or doctored ...
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 05-20-2009, 11:19 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
I will NOT wear my seatbelt . I hook it over my arm to keep from getting hassled but i wont run it across in front of me or hook it up .

If i roll my truck over and the thing catches fire , the last damn place i want to be is strapped inside of it .

Just states trying to collect money . Ill go to jail before i sign a seatbelt ticket. The govt wont tell me i HAVE to listen to the radio , or run the heater , and they wont tell me i have to wear my seatbelt either .

If God says its my time then its my time , no 2 inch wide piece of nylon will stop his decision.
well, by your logic, if you roll over in your car and you are wearing your seat belt, if it isn't your time, the seat belt will come unlocked or snap ...

so wear your seatbelt and save yourself some potential cash ...
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 05-20-2009, 11:21 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
so...why are we so furious about it twenty five years later...I thought it was a new law...
Read the thread.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 05-20-2009, 11:30 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
there are many articles out there that say seat belt laws reduce health care costs, but when i post them, you will say they are biased, flawed or doctored ...
What, I might actually have an argument against them? If they are solid, then I am not gonna argue it. That's just silly. If you have something that is relative to the discussion, I would read it and give an honest opinion on it.

If you can show some real evidence that seat-belt laws are saving us a significant amount of money in health care costs, then I would say OK RNC, you are correct. However, it's gotta be some REAL evidence based on factual statistics. Not some knee-jerk opinion from a random blogger.

It would not matter, anyway. The only way your argument about health-care costs really holds water is under a nationalized system, like Canada. Here in America, we are each responsible for our own health care. So those costs are only being incurred by the people who chose not to wear a seat-belt. Even if, you are getting into a SMALL amount in relation to the overall amount of costs due to car accidents.

The bottom line that you have no real answer for is that it is NOT something our governments should be worrying about. It is only about money, period.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 05-20-2009, 11:55 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
What, I might actually have an argument against them? If they are solid, then I am not gonna argue it. That's just silly. If you have something that is relative to the discussion, I would read it and give an honest opinion on it.

If you can show some real evidence that seat-belt laws are saving us a significant amount of money in health care costs, then I would say OK RNC, you are correct. However, it's gotta be some REAL evidence based on factual statistics. Not some knee-jerk opinion from a random blogger.

It would not matter, anyway. The only way your argument about health-care costs really holds water is under a nationalized system, like Canada. Here in America, we are each responsible for our own health care. So those costs are only being incurred by the people who chose not to wear a seat-belt. Even if, you are getting into a SMALL amount in relation to the overall amount of costs due to car accidents.

The bottom line that you have no real answer for is that it is NOT something our governments should be worrying about. It is only about money, period.
so what happens when people are injured, treated and can't pay the bills? you think they disappear? do you think that every single dollar is paid for?
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 05-20-2009, 11:57 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

here is the first

http://www.policyalmanac.org/economi...eatbelts.shtml

but i am sure it is not a suitable source ....
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 05-21-2009, 12:03 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
so what happens when people are injured, treated and can't pay the bills? you think they disappear? do you think that every single dollar is paid for?
So what? That happens in ALL aspects of life ALL THE TIME. It still does not justify the actual intention of the law.

If you bothered to actually read what I am saying about the law, you would see that I am not arguing what the law does, but rather it's real intentions. It is ultimately a choice.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 05-21-2009, 12:09 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
here is the first

http://www.policyalmanac.org/economi...eatbelts.shtml

but i am sure it is not a suitable source ....
The source is fine, but its still only providing an ESTIMATE. Not actual statistics.

If you bothered to read the thread, you would see that I already debunked the theory that we are actually cutting down the death toll from the seatbelt law. The fatality stats have been hovering in the same general area for almost 20 YEARS
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811124.PDF

We can go back and forth, but it's pointless. My point has been made, and it still stands firm. The law is designed and in place to generate revenue. Nothing more, nothing less.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 05-21-2009, 12:16 AM
MattHughesRocks's Avatar
MattHughesRocks MattHughesRocks is offline
Stump Rules!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 9,778
Default

I remember many many years ago it being the law in California but then they took that law off the books ( I don't know why)then brought it back.
Just before they brought it back for some reason I started wearing mine again but just sometimes.Then one day, I had just stopped at a red light and the minivan behind me hit me at about 50.I got hurt pretty bad but at least I stayed in my seat.Otherwise I'd have gone out the windshield for sure


Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
No no no no no....

They just get stiffer with enforcement during holiday seasons when more people are out on the road.

And they are not making the law, it's already there. It's state by state, and it's largely been in place for 25 years.
__________________


http://stumpdotcom.com/
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 05-21-2009, 12:19 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
I remember many many years ago it being the law in California but then they took that law off the books ( I don't know why)then brought it back.
Just before they brought it back for some reason I started wearing mine again but just sometimes.Then one day, I had just stopped at a red light and the minivan behind me hit me at about 50.I got hurt pretty bad but at least I stayed in my seat.Otherwise I'd have gone out the windshield for sure


Yikes, rear-end accidents are no-fun. I got rear-ended by a semi while sitting a red-light once. He wast going that fast but I kept seeing him get closer in the mirror and right before he hit us I knew it was gonna happen. That sucked, but we were fine. We were in a big ol' Cadillac.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.