Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 05-20-2009, 05:03 AM

I agree that NOW they are probably using it as as way to get revenue, just like speed traps. However, I do think their original intent was to save lives especially children who weren't buckled up and went through the windshield. It may only cause physical harm/death to the person not wearing the belt, but I imagine it's pretty tramatic for the emergency people who have to literally pick up the pieces.

I know of a couple of instances (family members of friends) where someone went through the windshield and they were decapitated. I saw this actor's face after he went through his windshield. You know how they make ice or glass look as it's cracking, branching out every which way, well, that's how that guy's face looked. I don't think there was much they could do for him (plastic surgery), the cuts had been too deep. It was really sad.

If an adult chooses not to wear their belt, so be it, but I definitely think children (all ages) should be properly secured. I can't imagine how I would handle coming upon an accident where a child went through the windshield because they weren't buckled in.

Btw, I noticed the big electronic signs on the side of the freeway today had the "Click It or Ticket - $200.00 fine" on them.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:58 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
I forgot about all the mass hysteria and chaos caused by all the non-seatbelt wearers of the world.

This is not about smoking in cars with children, or drinkinig and driving. Those things can obviously cause HARM TO OTHERS. This is about wearing a seatbelt, and the government issuing fines. Not wearing a seatbelt does not cause harm or danger to anybody except the person who chooses not to wear it.

Your logic is that because Canada has nationalized health care, the government has a good reason to institute such a law. My argument is that having such a system only leaves your country open to be controlled by your government in every single facet of your life.

So, NO, having a law that is designed and based on lies is not "better than having nothing at all". There is no need for the law, it's only there as a form of control and a way to generate revenue.
you have the right to your opinion .. but i don't agree ... there are already strains on healthcare systems .. go to any emergency room and just see how busy it is on any given nite, now increase that by saying you don't have to wear seatbelts and all the yahoos who will un click and end up getting injured and further straining the healthcare system ...
Old 05-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Administrator

I don't like the idea that they can stop you and give you a ticket just because you're not wearing a seatbelt. The way the law used to work back in New Mexico was that if you got stopped for speeding, running a red light or some other traffic violation, and the police officer noticed that you weren't wearing a seatbelt, then he could write you a ticket for it. However, you couldn't be stopped just for the seatbelt.

Personally, I do think it's just a stupid way to boost revenue. I grew up not wearing a seatbelt and when I was in Junior High, they passed the seatbelt laws. A few years after that, my dad got seriously injured by his seatbelt when he got rear ended by a truck. The belt ripped open an old surgery scar. So, I've always been a little skeptical of how much they actually help.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:20 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
you have the right to your opinion .. but i don't agree ... there are already strains on healthcare systems .. go to any emergency room and just see how busy it is on any given nite, now increase that by saying you don't have to wear seatbelts and all the yahoos who will un click and end up getting injured and further straining the healthcare system ...
I guess the bigger point is just going over your head.

See, MOST people still wear their seat-belts regardless of the law. They don't need a LAW in place to tell them to do so. Sure, there are those people who would probably un-click just because they could, but what happens to them when they get in a car accident anyway, seatbelt or not? You are still paying for their health-care because of your socialized system in Canada.

So, I ask the question, what is it really about? Money, or people lives? If it's a strain on the health-care system that bothers you, would it not be better if they just died in the car crash? Then they wouldn't be clogging up your ER's, just your morgues. If it's about saving lives, then why not institute laws that actually force people to wear them?
Old 05-20-2009, 07:35 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
I guess the bigger point is just going over your head.

See, MOST people still wear their seat-belts regardless of the law. They don't need a LAW in place to tell them to do so. Sure, there are those people who would probably un-click just because they could, but what happens to them when they get in a car accident anyway, seatbelt or not? You are still paying for their health-care because of your socialized system in Canada.

So, I ask the question, what is it really about? Money, or people lives? If it's a strain on the health-care system that bothers you, would it not be better if they just died in the car crash? Then they wouldn't be clogging up your ER's, just your morgues. If it's about saving lives, then why not institute laws that actually force people to wear them?
in the end, it is the gov't roads .. yeah yeah, say they are yours, but they are not ... so they can make the rules ... if people are dead set against wearing seatbelts because they think it is actually less harmful (not saying you are one of them), well then, i guess the world is better off without them around ... something like natural selection .. LOL
Old 05-20-2009, 07:39 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
in the end, it is the gov't roads .. yeah yeah, say they are yours, but they are not ... so they can make the rules ... if people are dead set against wearing seatbelts because they think it is actually less harmful (not saying you are one of them), well then, i guess the world is better off without them around ... something like natural selection .. LOL
I will let that nonsense speak for itself.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

JB, I'm with you. It's about money, not safety. If it were about safety, motorcyles would be outlawed, and at the very least, helmets would be mandated by law too, but it's not in many states.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:29 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
JB, I'm with you. It's about money, not safety. If it were about safety, motorcyles would be outlawed, and at the very least, helmets would be mandated by law too, but it's not in many states.
Right, it may be a cash grab, but it is a cash saver also .. there has to be costs to everyone when there are traffic accidents and injuries .. it doesn't matter if in the US there is not universal health care. therefore, people who don't wear seatbelts are more likely to get injured, which these injuries end up costing money .. therefore the need for seatbelt laws .. i don't see what the big deal in understanding that is ...
Old 05-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Mac

I will NOT wear my seatbelt . I hook it over my arm to keep from getting hassled but i wont run it across in front of me or hook it up .

If i roll my truck over and the thing catches fire , the last damn place i want to be is strapped inside of it .

Just states trying to collect money . Ill go to jail before i sign a seatbelt ticket. The govt wont tell me i HAVE to listen to the radio , or run the heater , and they wont tell me i have to wear my seatbelt either .

If God says its my time then its my time , no 2 inch wide piece of nylon will stop his decision.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Blmfighter

I don't think it should be a law. Each person should be able to make up their mind if they want to wear it or not. You can pick either side and have proof on why your side is right.

I wear mine sometimes but not all the time. I would be more worried about the seat belt coming up and hitting my neck before I would worry about it getting stuck.

If they are so worried for my safety then why don't the a 5 point harness like race cars have in my car.

It gets me how everyone talks about how safe our cars are however you can die in a 40 mile an hour crash. We have race cars that are going 300 miles an hour and crash and the people will get up and walk away.