Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 05-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
Because at the end of the day...isnt that their job?
No, it's not. The government's job is to make sure that we don't get invaded & make sure that our basic liberties are protected. It's not their job to give people money, it's not their job to give everyone medicine, it's not their job to control the privatge sector.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
Government is just a neccesery evil to an American. We have it because we know it needs to exist but we will fight like hell to keep it out of everything we can.

Our cultures are very different that is why you get different asnwers.

As an American I bow to no one but God. We have no king or queen and we have no need of big brother cameras on every street corner.

Our government has very few jobs that they need to do and even those they screw up on the regular. So we like to keep them out of as many things as possible.
see we dont think like that...half of the British wouldnt bow to ANYTHING...not even GOD...thats sad I suppose...I actually noticed in the speaker martin thread that I posted the statement read out by Oliver Cromwell after the Civil War...and when he accused and closed parliament...he spoke JUST like an American, in terms of his emphasis on Moral leadership being part of the Government. let me go copy and paste and I'll highlight in bold what I mean...and you'll see in 300 years how quickly GOD has dissapeared.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

"It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in the place, which you have dishonoured by your contempt of virtue, and defiled by your practise of every vice. Ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government, ye are a pack of mercenary wretches and would, like Esau, seel your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas, betray you GOD for a few piece of money. Is there a single virtue now remaining amoungst you? Is there one vice you do not possess? Ye have no more religion then my horse, Gold is your God which of you have not bartered your conscience for bribes? Is there a man amoungst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth? Ye sordid prostitutes, have you not defiled this sacred place and turned the Lords Temple into a den of theives by your immoral principles and wicked practise? Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation, you were deputed here by the people to get grievances redressed and are yourselves become the greatest grivance. Your country therefore calls upon me to cleanse this augean stable, by putting a final period to your iniquitous proceedings in this House, and which, by GODs help, and the strength he hath given me, I am now come to do. I command ye therefore upon the peril of your lives to depart immediately, out of this place, go, get you out, make haste, ye venal slaves be gone, so, take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors. In the Name of GOD...GO"

Saying that to the Parliament at the time was deeply hurtful. If you said that to Parliament now...it would have no effect...because it relies upon the Parliament claiming to be religious in the first place!! Even the Church/State thing is institutionalized, between the Queen and the Church...NOT the Government and the Church...like it was supposed to be.

AND to answer Ben...I've highlighted in RED what the job of the Government is supposed to be from the English perspective. I'd Ask Ben if that be the purpose of His Government, as he stated rather then as I stated...what is his Military there for? Isnt it the Militaries role to protect from invasion, and fight to ensure liberties...thats Military...not Governmental..surely?
Old 05-19-2009, 08:19 PM
rearnakedchoke

the percentage of seatbelts being the reason for worse injuries are low compared to no seatbelt being worn ... i believe that it is the same thing as speed limits and helmets being worn ... they should all be mandatory and strictly enforced .. being in canada with universal health care, i think the goverment should also make it mandatory for people riding bicycles to wear helmets ... it is good practice .. and since the costs of dealing with these injuries comes out of the tax dollars set aside for it, then the gov't would be well in their rights to tell you you have to wear them ...

in the US it is a different story ...
Old 05-19-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

No doubt that seatbelts save more lives than they end. However, if a state is going to allow motorcycles or even motorcyclists without helmets, then click or ticket is BS!
Old 05-19-2009, 08:42 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
the percentage of seatbelts being the reason for worse injuries are low compared to no seatbelt being worn ... i believe that it is the same thing as speed limits and helmets being worn ... they should all be mandatory and strictly enforced .. being in canada with universal health care, i think the goverment should also make it mandatory for people riding bicycles to wear helmets ... it is good practice .. and since the costs of dealing with these injuries comes out of the tax dollars set aside for it, then the gov't would be well in their rights to tell you you have to wear them ...

Is it legal to smoke cigarettes in Canada? Do you have ANY idea how much medical costs are related to smoking?

Oh wait, does the gov't make money off cigarette sales in Canada like they do in the US?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:00 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
Is it legal to smoke cigarettes in Canada? Do you have ANY idea how much medical costs are related to smoking?

Oh wait, does the gov't make money off cigarette sales in Canada like they do in the US?
Or how about all that high-quality pot they are smoking in Canada and shipping down to America?

Do Canadian pot-heads lose their right to health-care when they get busted?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
Or how about all that high-quality pot they are smoking in Canada and shipping down to America?

Do Canadian pot-heads lose their right to health-care when they get busted?
Nope they get a small fine.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:49 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar

well they make more money than anyone of smokes, ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ahlcohol than anyone, so it off-sets it .... LOL
Old 05-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke

But you are Commonwealth. You dont belong to the American Culture anymore then I do. Infact...our Cultures should be the same. I hope you dont take offense at this, but my general view of Canadians is "British with an American Accent" where as my general view of Americans is "Something altogether different"