Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 05-07-2009, 02:58 AM
Administrator

Default The thread for comic book geeks to talk about their funny books...

We don't have a dedicated thread for comic book collectors so I thought I would start one.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:06 AM
Administrator

I'm an X-Men guy first and foremost. I've always liked the original team of Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Beast, Angel and Iceman the best; but I do also like the "Uncanny X-Men" team from the 70s.

Favorite Characters:
1. The Beast (Hank McCoy) - I like his human form the best, but I also like his blue & furry form. I really hate his current lion form, though.
2. Phoenix (Jean Grey) - I also like her as Marvel Girl
3. Hulk
4. Captain America
5. Ben Grimm, the Thing

Most recent comic book bought: X-Men First Class Finals #4 - in fact, this is the only current series that I collect now. Everything else that I buy is reprints of the classic 1960s and 1970s X-Men, Avengers, and Fantastic Four stories.

Greatest comic book story in the history of comics: The Dark Phoenix Saga
Old 05-07-2009, 03:20 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

I'm not a collector, but I love the fact that America now has an on-going, still evolving mythology being developed through this medium. My top five would be:

1) Beast (blue form) - as a nerd I love the idea of a smart guy whose powers make him insanely athletic
2) Wolverine - Do I need to explain
3) Deadpool - I love his humor & pop culture references, not to mention he's the only character who consistently breaks the 4th wall
4) Ironman - Again, smart guy who's got money & an awesome suit. Plus Gwenyth Paltrow was hot as Pepper Potts & I wish she was my sexre - I mean - secretary.
5) Dr. Strange - I like magic. Sue me.

My favorite power has always been time manipulation, however. I think it all started in Middle School when I would have papers & exams due (kinda like now) andI would wish I could just stop/slow down time enough for me to be able to get some sleep & then finish studying. That's why my favorite Hero is Hiro Nakamroa (are we allow the TV Show Heroes into the discussion? I mean, they got graphic novels, too).
Old 05-07-2009, 03:23 AM
logrus

I tried to name a top 5 but it was next to impossible. Then I tried to go back and see what I have winning in collections, but I have a lot of series from start to finish. All I have is 1 top dog.

Wolverine has always been my favorite, smallest dog in the fight 1 oppanent or 100 it didn't matter to him. He was gonna go until you were out or he was out. Used aznd abused by the system and left memory less always made for intriguing story archs. If you ask me by the way Wolverine Orgins was nicely written, but to be honest it was not fit for him.

Best Marvel Story Lines, Onslaught, Age of Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix Saga.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:30 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

My Grandfather got me into comics when I was young. He would always take me to the comic book store right here in town and buy me new comics, and he would always buy one for himself to hold on to in case I ruined the other one

I still have many of the comics, but they are at my moms house and I have not been through them in years.

I have a lot of Superman comics, including some very old ones. I have the entire Doomsday series, plus all the different collector versions of the issue when he died, and "Funeral for a Friend" series where all the other heroes from DC comics bury Superman. Then of course he came back and have that issue too, lol.

I have not been through the collection in years and my memory ain't the best but others that I have collected various issues of are

Spider-Man
Punisher
Ghost Rider
X-Men
Fantastic Four
Luke Cage

I have a bunch. Next time I am at my moms I will dig them out and bring them home. I got a bunch of old and rare novelty comics too.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
That's why my favorite Hero is Hiro Nakamroa (are we allow the TV Show Heroes into the discussion? I mean, they got graphic novels, too).
That's kind of touchy, I would think that comic book adaptions of TV shows, movies, classic novels, etc. would be in a different category. Because everything from Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter to The Care Bears have been adapted into comic book form.

I'm thinking this thread could focus primarily on original comic books stories within the superhero genre. But that's not set in stone.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:41 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
That's kind of touchy, I would think that comic book adaptions of TV shows, movies, classic novels, etc. would be in a different category. Because everything from Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter to The Care Bears have been adapted into comic book form.

I'm thinking this thread could focus primarily on original comic books stories within the superhero genre. But that's not set in stone.
Hey, you're the admin, it's your call!

Just a point of clarification, though: the graphic novels are not adaptations of the show. They're entirely new content that tells stories barely even alluded to in the show. Like, a character in the show will make a comment that you would never realize was a reference unless you'd actually been reading the novels.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus
I tried to name a top 5 but it was next to impossible. Then I tried to go back and see what I have winning in collections, but I have a lot of series from start to finish. All I have is 1 top dog.

Wolverine has always been my favorite, smallest dog in the fight 1 oppanent or 100 it didn't matter to him. He was gonna go until you were out or he was out. Used aznd abused by the system and left memory less always made for intriguing story archs. If you ask me by the way Wolverine Orgins was nicely written, but to be honest it was not fit for him.

Best Marvel Story Lines, Onslaught, Age of Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix Saga.
I always liked Wolverine, too, but I'm feeling that he's a little overexposed right now. The movie is pretty cool, but what irks me is that new "Wolverine and the X-Men" cartoon. I just don't like that everyone else is playing second fiddle to him. If he's that popular then just give him his own cartoon series (like they do with Batman) and let the X-Men have their own share of the spotlight.

Age of Apocalypse was about the time that I quit collecting, so I don't really remember that much of it. I've just recently started to get back into comics, but it's nearly impossible to catch up with all the stories now.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:50 AM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
My Grandfather got me into comics when I was young. He would always take me to the comic book store right here in town and buy me new comics, and he would always buy one for himself to hold on to in case I ruined the other one

I still have many of the comics, but they are at my moms house and I have not been through them in years.

I have a lot of Superman comics, including some very old ones. I have the entire Doomsday series, plus all the different collector versions of the issue when he died, and "Funeral for a Friend" series where all the other heroes from DC comics bury Superman. Then of course he came back and have that issue too, lol.

I have not been through the collection in years and my memory ain't the best but others that I have collected various issues of are

Spider-Man
Punisher
Ghost Rider
X-Men
Fantastic Four
Luke Cage

I have a bunch. Next time I am at my moms I will dig them out and bring them home. I got a bunch of old and rare novelty comics too.
Punisher was a good series, I always believed he was the Marvels version of Batman with edge. I pretty much have all his series, war Zone, War Journal and the Original. I also have his first appearance.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:01 AM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
I always liked Wolverine, too, but I'm feeling that he's a little overexposed right now. The movie is pretty cool, but what irks me is that new "Wolverine and the X-Men" cartoon. I just don't like that everyone else is playing second fiddle to him. If he's that popular then just give him his own cartoon series (like they do with Batman) and let the X-Men have their own share of the spotlight.

Age of Apocalypse was about the time that I quit collecting, so I don't really remember that much of it. I've just recently started to get back into comics, but it's nearly impossible to catch up with all the stories now.
I can't agree with you more and to be honest I am baffled by how much over exposed he has become. He was popular, but he lost out to Phoenix, Cable and Gambit. Then again he did have a slew of comic books. He was in Uncanny XMen, his own series, guest appeared everywhere, and even have a huge run in Marvel comics presents, but still ask kids back then who they liked and it was Gambit lol.

AoA was a pretty cool storyline, Charles son tried to go back and kill MAgneto but instead killc Charles, and thus everything in the MArvel Universe went nuts, Cyclops was bad, Rogue was married to MAgneto, Wolverine and JEan were a thing and he had no hand lol. Best part of that series was the char named X-Man,

You could laways nab the trade paperbacks which pretty much cover the whole story arch. I bought those so I could read them at my leaser without dragging out the books lol