Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 05-06-2009, 06:38 PM
atomdanger

Default Silva and Jones Jr. agree to MMA contest, UFC not interested

http://mmajunkie.com/news/14793/repo...interested.mma

Quote:
First on the list: UFC President Dana White.

"I could do it, make it huge, make money, but I could have done a fight like this when we were bleeding money [in the early 2000s]," White told CBS Sports.com. "The fight would make some money, but it hurts MMA in the long term. We don't do that because we love the sport. That's a PRIDE or K-1 matchup. It's not what we do."

While both Silva and his manager, Ed Soares, have expressed their interest in meeting Jones Jr. under boxing rules, White made it very clear he simply couldn't allow his champion to compete outside of the organization.

This time, it was Jones Jr. who said who would step outside of his own comfort zone and into the UFC's octagon. While a boxing bout would certainly allow room for debate on who would emerge victorious, an MMA rules contest would certainly seem to favor Silva, the Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt.

Nevertheless, White told CBSSports.com the fight would never happen while "The Spider" was under contract with the UFC.

With just four fights remaining on his UFC contract, including an August showdown with light heavyweight Forrest Griffin, it's currently unknown what Silva's intentions are after his commitment to the world's largest mixed martial arts organization ends.
Wow.... RJJ had better learn some take down defense if this fight ever materializes.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
http://mmajunkie.com/news/14793/repo...interested.mma

Wow.... RJJ had better learn some take down defense if this fight ever materializes.
That would be a terrible idea for RJJ. What does he know about elbows knees & kicks?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:57 PM
rearnakedchoke

Sounds like RJJ needs some money .. I can't see how he would spend all he had, but i have seen worse ... Dana is right though, it is not about the money, it is bad for the sport
Old 05-06-2009, 07:06 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

OH, TheBigD is rubbing it in. This adds to my suspicions that Dana and Silva are in a power struggle of wills!

Quote:
First on the list: UFC President Dana White.

"I could do it, make it huge, make money, but I could have done a fight like this when we were bleeding money [in the early 2000s]," White told CBS Sports.com. "The fight would make some money, but it hurts MMA in the long term. We don't do that because we love the sport. That's a PRIDE or K-1 matchup. It's not what we do."

While both Silva and his manager, Ed Soares, have expressed their interest in meeting Jones Jr. under boxing rules, White made it very clear he simply couldn't allow his champion to compete outside of the organization.

This time, it was Jones Jr. who said who would step outside of his own comfort zone and into the UFC's octagon. While a boxing bout would certainly allow room for debate on who would emerge victorious, an MMA rules contest would certainly seem to favor Silva, the Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt.

Nevertheless, White told CBSSports.com the fight would never happen while "The Spider" was under contract with the UFC.

With just four fights remaining on his UFC contract, including an August showdown with light heavyweight Forrest Griffin, it's currently unknown what Silva's intentions are after his commitment to the world's largest mixed martial arts organization ends.

And as far as RJJ goes, I would be willing to bet that Silva and he would have a private agreement on the side to keep the match to boxing.

A Silva will continue his antics. Anyone have his number?! Silva should procede to the octagon for his next fight with a ball and chain around his neck!
Old 05-06-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
OH, TheBigD is rubbing it in. This adds to my suspicions that Dana and Silva are in a power struggle of wills!

And as far as RJJ goes, I would be willing to bet that Silva and he would have a private agreement on the side to keep the match to boxing.

A Silva will continue his antics. Anyone have his number?! Silva should procede to the octagon for his next fight with a ball and chain around his neck!
Thsis EXACTLY whatI was thinking. Dana will never allow it regardless, so I guess it doesn't matter.

[
Old 05-06-2009, 08:02 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
Thsis EXACTLY whatI was thinking. Dana will never allow it regardless, so I guess it doesn't matter.
Me too.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:13 PM

If I were to fight Silva I'd secretly make a deal with him that there would not be any hitting or grappling...you know...the same deal Thales made! HI OH!

[
Old 05-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
That would be a terrible idea for RJJ. What does he know about elbows knees & kicks?
He will learn how to eat them.. that's for sure.

Hope he comes hungry
Old 05-06-2009, 08:52 PM

I could see them meeting for an MMA match up and then only doing standup/punches heh. Wouldn't be boxing necessarily but would be rather close.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Crisco

This is a stupid move on Dana's part.

He was trying to get Mayweather into the UFC why not take RJJ? Maybe the price tag is too big.