Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 05-06-2009, 01:08 AM
Chris F

Default Military destroys Bibles

U.S. military destroys soldier's Bibles
Fred Jackson - OneNewsNow - 5/5/2009 10:40:00 AM

The U.S. military is confirming that it has destroyed some Bibles belonging to an American soldier serving in Afghanistan.

Reuters News says the Bibles were confiscated and destroyed after Qatar-based Al Jazeer television showed soldiers at a Bible class on a base with a stack of Bibles translated into the local Pashto and Dari languages. The U.S. military forbids its members on active duty -- including those based in places like Afghanistan -- from trying to convert people to another religion.

Reuters quotes Maj. Jennifer Willis at the Bagram Air Base, north of Kabul, who said "I can now confirm that the Bibles shown on Al Jazeera's clip were, in fact, collected by the chaplains and later destroyed. They were never distributed."

According to the military officials, the Bibles were sent through private mail to an evangelical Christian soldier by his church back home. Reuters says the soldier brought them to the Bible study class where they were filmed.

The Chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Mike Mullen, told a Pentagon briefing Monday that the military's position is that it will never "push any specific religion."
Old 05-06-2009, 01:27 AM
Administrator

They should have handed them out and never recorded their existence on film.

I'd hate to be those chaplains when they have to answer to GOD for putting US Army policies before His Word.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:31 AM
Chris F

Most Chaplins theses days are hamstrung by the Cheif of staff and all their rules. They can;t pray in Jesus name they can;t hand out bible, what next? Why bother having them at all then.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F
U.S. military destroys soldier's Bibles
Fred Jackson - OneNewsNow - 5/5/2009 10:40:00 AM

The U.S. military is confirming that it has destroyed some Bibles belonging to an American soldier serving in Afghanistan.

Reuters News says the Bibles were confiscated and destroyed after Qatar-based Al Jazeer television showed soldiers at a Bible class on a base with a stack of Bibles translated into the local Pashto and Dari languages. The U.S. military forbids its members on active duty -- including those based in places like Afghanistan -- from trying to convert people to another religion.

Reuters quotes Maj. Jennifer Willis at the Bagram Air Base, north of Kabul, who said "I can now confirm that the Bibles shown on Al Jazeera's clip were, in fact, collected by the chaplains and later destroyed. They were never distributed."

According to the military officials, the Bibles were sent through private mail to an evangelical Christian soldier by his church back home. Reuters says the soldier brought them to the Bible study class where they were filmed.

The Chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Mike Mullen, told a Pentagon briefing Monday that the military's position is that it will never "push any specific religion."
The US forces tells US Troops they cant do The Great Comission???

I understand impartiality...but I'm sorry to tell you, the United States isnt impartial in the secular sense...it has a Faith

Even if those Bibles appeared...Conviscate them if you have to be such an arse...but you dont need to distroy them...give them to a local church thats already Christian (therefore no conversion is involved)

Give me an email address and I'll write to a Military Official myself. I've done it before
Old 05-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
They should have handed them out and never recorded their existence on film.

I'd hate to be those chaplains when they have to answer to GOD for putting US Army policies before His Word.
I'd hate to be one of the policy making Officers...I think they have far more to answer for

Are they trying to kid themselves, that they arent at war with Islam? Are they really thinking that the Terrorists wouldnt spread their Faith in a heartbeat? How do they think Afghanistan became islamic in the first place??? Honnestly, I bet its some crappy guy whose never even BEEN to afghanistan. Monkeys and Guns, I sware.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:05 PM
rearnakedchoke

I blame all this on Obama ..........
Old 05-06-2009, 03:15 PM
logrus

Who says they were trying to convert anyone anyways. Maybe they were there for anyone including Afi's to take and use as they saw fit. Maybe there were written in that laungrage so our men and woman who need to know the AFL laungrage could practice with the word of God.

Damn miliatry.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
I blame all this on Obama ..........

I think that was his first order of business: to go back in time and change that old military doctrine.

[
Old 05-06-2009, 03:42 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter

I think that was his first order of business: to go back in time and change that old military doctrine.
Doesn't the oath already have an "optional" "So help me God" at the end. I know this is not supposed to be optional, but I have heard there are exceptions in I think it was the Army.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
Doesn't the oath already have an "optional" "So help me God" at the end. I know this is not supposed to be optional, but I have heard there are exceptions in I think it was the Army.
not sure...

[