Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 05-05-2009, 08:11 PM
warriorlion

Default x-men origins: Wolverine

has anyone seen this yet???

what did you think???
Old 05-05-2009, 08:28 PM

I thought it was decent. Had some good points and not so good points. I thought Liev Schreiber as Saber Tooth was awesome.

[
Old 05-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Administrator

It was decent. Nothing great like Iron Man or Spider Man, in fact i don't even think it was as good as either one of the Incredible Hulk movies. As far as the X-Men movies go, it's probably the best of the four, but that's not saying much.

Here's how I'd rate it against the recent crop of comic book movies that I've seen:

Iron Man: A+
Spider-Man 2: A+
300: A+
Watchmen: A
Spider-Man: A
The Incredible Hulk: B+
The Hulk: B
X-Men Origins: Wolverine: C+
X-Men 2: C
X-Men: C-
Spider-Man 3: D
X-Men 3: D- (Beast being in the film and Cyclops getting killed are the only reasons why it doesn't get an F)
Old 05-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
It was decent. Nothing great like Iron Man or Spider Man, in fact i don't even think it was as good as either one of the Incredible Hulk movies. As far as the X-Men movies go, it's probably the best of the four, but that's not saying much.

Here's how I'd rate it against the recent crop of comic book movies that I've seen:

X-Men 3: D- (Beast being in the film and Cyclops getting killed are the only reasons why it doesn't get an F)
You didn't like spider-man 3? I thought the story was great and very touching.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:41 PM
ufcfan2

Quote:

I'd give X-men 3 a C;Dark Phoenix was about the only thing that saved it for me.
Spider-Man 3 I'd give it maybe a C- as they couldn't get a cohesive story going and the dance sequences were a joke(only good thing was Sandman imo).
Now to add a couple more:
Batman Begins: B
The Dark Knight:A(what can ya say Heath Ledger was great as the Joker)
Superman Returns: B-(visually it was good,just lack of action hurt this movie)
Old 05-05-2009, 09:45 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:

Hahaha.

I pretty much agree with the rest of your grades. How come Watchmen only got an "A", though?
Old 05-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
You didn't like spider-man 3? I thought the story was great and very touching.
There was just too much going on with too many different villains. Venom really needed an entire movie to tell his story. Also those dance sequences with "dark Peter Parker" where just awful. Although I probably should watch it again on DVD. I find that I'm more forgiving of movies when I'm watching them at home.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcfan2
I'd give X-men 3 a C;Dark Phoenix was about the only thing that saved it for me.
Spider-Man 3 I'd give it maybe a C- as they couldn't get a cohesive story going and the dance sequences were a joke(only good thing was Sandman imo).
Now to add a couple more:
Batman Begins: B
The Dark Knight:A(what can ya say Heath Ledger was great as the Joker)
Superman Returns: B-(visually it was good,just lack of action hurt this movie)
Honestly, I forgot all about the Batman movies, but I've never been a big fan of the character.

Superman Returns would get an F from me. I really hated that movie, but I've been a huge Superman fan my entire life and they just got his character wrong on every possible level.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
I pretty much agree with the rest of your grades. How come Watchmen only got an "A", though?
The sex scenes were really annoying and unnecessary. Other than that it was nearly perfect.

Iron Man gets the top spot for me because I'd never been an Iron Man fan until seeing this movie. I was always aware of the character in the comic books but was just never really interested in him. The movie made me into an Iron Man fan and isn't that the whole point?

I've watched comic book movies about other characters who I wasn't really interested in and the movies failed to "convert" me: every Batman film, the Punisher movies, Ghost Rider, Daredevil, Elektra, etc. So, Iron Man accomplished something pretty unique for me.

I was always a big fan of Spider-Man, Hulk, X-Men and the Fantastic Four, so in some ways those movies were always going to be let downs in one way or another. Iron Man exceeded my expectations in every way.

Speaking of the Fantastic Four films, but both of those would get C's from me. Maybe as high as a B- for Rise of the Silver Surfer.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:05 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
The sex scenes were really annoying and unnecessary. Other than that it was nearly perfect.
While agree that I could have done without, they were only included because they were part of the graphic novel. In my book, adherence to the source text is of utmost importance when you're converting a novel/comic book/short story/etc. to film.

It's a minor difference, I suppose, but I would have unequivocally given it an "A+".