Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 05-04-2009, 11:13 PM

Default An unlucky Matt Hughes and his legacy.....

I was just thinking about this after reading Irish Pride's post.

And it got me thinking that Matt as been unlucky i perhaps become undisputed greatest ever Champion across divisions.

First of, the TUF 2. Now just imagine if Tanner had dispached of Franklin, it coulda happened!!!!!! Now then a dominant Matt Hughes with few challengers left would of gone up against Evan Tanner. With all credit and respect to Evan (and its nice to spare a thought for him at this moment) i truly think Matt Hughes would of beaten him.

That would of mean Hughes owning the WW and MW belt. Who cares how it went down after that, the fact is Matt would have held both at consecuative times. Randy and the rest of them would be below Matt completly!

Then the second part is that Hughes has the opportunity to fight Serra for the WW title which i have no doubt of the outcome. That would only of gone to further enshrine Matt as the greatest ever. It would have been sweet!

Well anyways we'll just have to make do with a Serra beatdown on the 18th and Matt takign a slightly longer route to the WW title but just thought this was worth musing.

Good luck Matt, hope training is going well.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:06 AM
Tattoo Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion

And it got me thinking that Matt as been unlucky i perhaps become undisputed greatest ever Champion across divisions.

First of, the TUF 2. Now just imagine if Tanner had dispached of Franklin, it coulda happened!!!!!! Now then a dominant Matt Hughes with few challengers left would of gone up against Evan Tanner. With all credit and respect to Evan (and its nice to spare a thought for him at this moment) i truly think Matt Hughes would of beaten him.

That would of mean Hughes owning the WW and MW belt. Who cares how it went down after that, the fact is Matt would have held both at consecuative times. Randy and the rest of them would be below Matt completly!

Then the second part is that Hughes has the opportunity to fight Serra for the WW title which i have no doubt of the outcome. That would only of gone to further enshrine Matt as the greatest ever. It would have been sweet!

Well anyways we'll just have to make do with a Serra beatdown on the 18th and Matt takign a slightly longer route to the WW title but just thought this was worth musing.

The fight is on the 23rd.........and WAR MATT!!!!!!!!!!! W000000000000000T!!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 12:23 AM
cheachea

It boggles my mind how anyone could doubt Matt in anyway. The guy has 42 FREAKIN WINS !!! He is A 9 TIME WW Champion !! He has beat bj penn and GSP also. It is just really strange to see people doubt him and honestly it's really irritating. No one can take away all the accomplishments that he has achieved.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:07 AM
Mac

It always got to me , the fact the he should actually be the 11 time world champ , If Riggs wouldnt have been lazy and made weight then that would have made matt the 10 time champ , and if serra wouldnt have gotten hurt he would have been the 11 time champ.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:29 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
It always got to me , the fact the he should actually be the 11 time world champ , If Riggs wouldnt have been lazy and made weight then that would have made matt the 10 time champ , and if serra wouldnt have gotten hurt he would have been the 11 time champ.
Yeah, that's bugged me, too.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:48 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Don't forget that Gracie guy....But that an "agreed on catch weight" fight wasn't it?
Old 05-05-2009, 04:21 AM
lc87

ya but they should have scheduled it at 170 instead of the 177 i think it was. like that 7 pounds would have been hard for either athlete to make. so ill consider him 12 time champ in my book
Old 05-05-2009, 08:38 AM

Yeah I don't doubt Matt's legacy and status in the sport. Some idiots out there do!

However as Mac said, Riggs would of made it 10 time, Serra 11 time WW champion!

Whatever way that would have enhanced Hughes's record. More importantly some of the new fan;s without knowledge may of learnt more about the dominant Matt Hughes if he has got the fight against Serra when scheduled.

And like i say, Hughes V Tanner, we know the winner!!!!!!!!!!

That would of been awesome!
Old 05-05-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
No doubt he would have regained the title against Serra. I think we'll see Matt at least get #10 back. something tells me it will be a rematch with Thiago for the belt.

[
Old 05-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion

I think you're forgetting that Matt has a life outside of Fighting...Thats what makes his legacy so special. He's not one of these Fighters who does nothing but fight, and thinks of nothing but MMA. He's not one of the guys who will crumble when they can no longer compete because who they are is identified by what they do in the Octagon.

You have to remember, for Matt this is more of a Hobby then it is the Career of his Life. He also is a farmer, and he also runs his own gym...His legacy has surpassed so many...and yet he NEVER set out to create one in the first place...thats whats so ironic...with all the others focused on nothing but creating a legacy.

For Hughes is simply just happened that way, and whilst it lasts its brilliant, and once its over he can move on without a tear.

In many ways, I reckon lots of the Other Fighters who have recently been blathering about holding multiple belts are so desperate its...a little bit tragic. THAT is unlucky...unlucky that two guys, Georges Saint Pierre, and Baby Jay Penn, and Anderson Silva even...who dedicate their whole life to nothing but MMA...combined cant manage to create what Hughes did in a hobby almost by accident.

Besides...Whose counting Hughes out? I mean, after he has smushed Serra, he might yet go to fight GSP, or Thiago Alves for the title...and then would he not be in a position to challenge Anderson Silva? Just think...two more years, perhaps, six more fights...and He'd retire with Two belts, the first and only to hold two consecutive at the same time. Have Avenged Alves, Have Beaten Georges Saint Pierre for the Title, have maybe defended it after that also. Perhaps had a warm up fight in Middleweight, before smushing Silva, and then possibly defending...and so would have had THREE Reigns with defences in the Welterweight Division, and One further reign with defending in the Middleweight division.

We dont know what might happen after Serra gets smushed...or as this isnt probably that huge a deal...he may just retire on a win...people seem to think he has something to gain, or something to lose...Truth is he has neither...His Legacy stands no matter what now, perhaps it can be extended, perhaps he doesnt feel the need. who knows...but I wouldnt say its Unlucky