Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 05-05-2009, 02:02 PM
KevinD

That was a good article I agree. The first thing that stood out to me though was not so much what was written but rather the picture that accompanied the article. In it you see Matt taking a knee from Alves. Did anyone else see and go "Holy Crap" Alves looked HUGE. His shoulders, arms, traps, are unreal. He really made Hughes look small in that fight. I remember Rogan going on how Alves looked 2 weight classes higher than matt.

Is there something wrong with that picture?
Old 05-05-2009, 02:23 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConcretekid
After 2 losses to GSP and losing 2 in a row, he's floating around #5 WW in the world, somewhere between Fitch and Koscheck, so I think a fight with one of them would be more appropriate, with the winner getting a title shot
rankings in the UFC mean nothing .. Brock was 1-1 in the UFC and got a title shot .. Randy Couture had lost to Chuck then got the HW shot ... so i don't think there is any rhyme or reason for people getting shots ...
Old 05-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R
Um, I'm not sure if you are attacking me, or agreeing with me. I'm basically saying that the last time he faced someone that was being touted as a better jits player than Matt, it didn't do that person any favors at all. I am fully aware of Matt's victories lol.
I was agreeing with you & offering support for your point.

People seem to think that, just because Matt doesn't actually have a black belt in jits, his only ground game is wrestling.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
I was agreeing with you & offering support for your point.

People seem to think that, just because Matt doesn't actually have a black belt in jits, his only ground game is wrestling.
Matt is most definately BB level
Old 05-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
Matt is most definately BB level
Exactly. Just because he's never attended an official BJJ academy & been awarded a belt doesn't mean crap.

I wouldn't mind it, though, if he went up to sarah Jui-Jitsu after this fight & just pwned all of sarah's boys on the mat. That'd be awesome!
Old 05-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Exactly. Just because he's never attended an official BJJ academy & been awarded a belt doesn't mean crap.

I wouldn't mind it, though, if he went up to sarah Jui-Jitsu after this fight & just pwned all of sarah's boys on the mat. That'd be awesome!
Exactly! He's freakin strong people seem to forget that. His muscles have muscles!!!!! All these masters of JJ like Leites for example? WTF did he do? Dude, Matt would have put up a way better fight for him "just being a wrestler" like critics say!
Old 05-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krupp
I keep saying it, man...Hughes should throw out his boxing coach right now and get a new one. Obviously this one's not doing much for him; I think he should've been improving at this point and time....

I've also said that Hughes should do the unexpected against all opponents; this means the same thing it meant against GSP for me. He should fake a takedown, and then start throwing combos. No one, especially Serra, will be expecting that. If Hughes can catch him with that kind of mix-up, Serra will get frustrated, and eventually he'll start trying to light Hughes up, in which case, Hughes then shoots in and THEN takes him down.

If Hughes started to learn how to throw combos and not just the usual jab that he tries, he's be a lot more sucessful. It's just a thought, though, and I know no one cares exactly for my opinion, especially Matt who's actually the one doing the fighting...but it's a thought that he should maybe consider, I think.
I think he is doing fine with his "usual jabs." If you want boxing watch boxing. Seriously seems like your over analyzing his fighting style. I personally favor his takedowns and GnP!! Just my opinion.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:43 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
sarah's jits is crap. His last sub in MMA was back in March of '02. Matt's pulled off 3 back-to-back-to-back subs sine then (GSP armbar/Trigg RNC/Riggs Kimura). Matt's got 4.5 times as many submission victories as sarah does. Matt also has a wide variety of sub victories (Guillotine x2, RNC x3, Kimura x3, Armbar x3, Arm Triangle x2, Strikes x5) than sarah (Armbar x2, Guillotine & Triangle).

I think Matt'll be just fine on the ground, thanks.

I can see it now...

Hughes.. wanting to have a real fight.. goes in blindfolded.. .. the fight starts..

Serra shoots.. gets the take down and jumps to side control.. spins his right leg over.. and pops the arm bar..and SINKS IT..

Serra starts grinning... "easy win".. smiles at his corner...

Hughes.. being.. well.. Hughes... simply flexes his arm and Serra starts to rise with it....

"Oh.. crap".......is all Serra gets to think before Hughes then stacks and starts punching him in the face....
Old 05-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Crisco

I've said it before and I'll say it again Matt is a MUCH better striker then he gets credit for.

He is crisp, can kick and does know how to put a combo together.

Try watching Hughes footage instead of repeating what has been said over and over.

Matt is a good level striker but his bread and butter was the TD and GNP. He used his striking to further that goal.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:07 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
I've said it before and I'll say it again Matt is a MUCH better striker then he gets credit for.

He is crisp, can kick and does know how to put a combo together.

Try watching Hughes footage instead of repeating what has been said over and over.

Matt is a good level striker but his bread and butter was the TD and GNP. He used his striking to further that goal.
people think you have to KO everyone to be a good striker ... imo a good striker is someone who can mix it up and use his strikes to set up takedowns .... sure, matt has never KO'd anyone, but he is still able to use his strikes to set-up take downs ... it is like the people that call GSP a grappler now that he uses his wrestling, but if you watch his takedowns he sets them up with good strikes ...

the only way serra can win this is to get matt down and work from the top position, thing is, i don't see that happening ... matt, takedown gnp for a three rounds ..