Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 17,006
Exclamation A Law BEFORE the Law



I'm a little bit confused about what i'm reading in Chapter 24 of Exodus.

Firstly, in honour of the Law they have just received, they prepare sacrifice and offerings...and yet...GOD hasnt given them the rules for the Sacrifice and Offerings yet

The Scripture says that Moses reads from "The Book of The Covernant" Well...it doesnt sound like the book of Genesis. It sounds like some kinda Pre-Law.

Can someone clarify...prior to the Law being Given...what Law were the Jews living under? I assume its the same law that Guided Abraham-Joseph and was readopted during Exodus before THE Law was given.

What happened to "The Book of The Covernant" What was in "The Book of The Covernant"
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Crisco
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn


I'm a little bit confused about what i'm reading in Chapter 24 of Exodus.

Firstly, in honour of the Law they have just received, they prepare sacrifice and offerings...and yet...GOD hasnt given them the rules for the Sacrifice and Offerings yet

The Scripture says that Moses reads from "The Book of The Covernant" Well...it doesnt sound like the book of Genesis. It sounds like some kinda Pre-Law.

Can someone clarify...prior to the Law being Given...what Law were the Jews living under? I assume its the same law that Guided Abraham-Joseph and was readopted during Exodus before THE Law was given.

What happened to "The Book of The Covernant" What was in "The Book of The Covernant"
I'm not really sure. Perhaps tribal law? Under a general moral code passed down from the generations before?

Are you sure it's covernant? and not covenent?

WAs there not a covenent with god made before Moses' time? The covenant that was broken which later led the jews to destruction in the early years to begin with?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Where's Nathan today???? I am having separation anxiety!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Crisco
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy
Where's Nathan today???? I am having separation anxiety!!
I saw him lurking perhaps he is feeling anti-social
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
I saw him lurking perhaps he is feeling anti-social
LOL!! Your holding it down spiritually though!! Your a mix of Nathan/Mike!! haha!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Crisco
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy
LOL!! Your holding it down spiritually though!! Your a mix of Nathan/Mike!! haha!!
I'm not nearly as versed as Nate. I'm better with google then I am with my brain. Though some of it I have produced from memory =P I'm starting to remember things.

I don't like to be labed Nate/Mike I'm just Cri/sco
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-04-2009, 10:07 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
I'm not nearly as versed as Nate. I'm better with google then I am with my brain. Though some of it I have produced from memory =P I'm starting to remember things.

I don't like to be labed Nate/Mike I'm just Cri/sco
Dorkus!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 17,006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
I'm not really sure. Perhaps tribal law? Under a general moral code passed down from the generations before?

Are you sure it's covernant? and not covenent?

WAs there not a covenent with god made before Moses' time? The covenant that was broken which later led the jews to destruction in the early years to begin with?
No, that deal he made with Abraham was never broken.

Issac

Jacob...and then of the twelve, Joseph took the Tribes into Egypt and married into Egyptian blood.

Then a new king of Egypt arose and the Jews became persecuted because the elders like Joseph had already died. The Jews never broke anything to end up persecuted by Egypt....but I dont recall them ever being given any law niether...thats what im confused by
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-05-2009, 04:48 AM
Rackin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I just did a quick glance, but I believe this is when Moses comes back from the mountain after getting the law from God and writing down the covenant that God was making with the people. The book of the law would have been that covenant that God had just revieleed to Moses. I assume it would have been the moral and levitical laws.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-05-2009, 05:47 AM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn


I'm a little bit confused about what i'm reading in Chapter 24 of Exodus.

Firstly, in honour of the Law they have just received, they prepare sacrifice and offerings...and yet...GOD hasnt given them the rules for the Sacrifice and Offerings yet

The Scripture says that Moses reads from "The Book of The Covernant" Well...it doesnt sound like the book of Genesis. It sounds like some kinda Pre-Law.

Can someone clarify...prior to the Law being Given...what Law were the Jews living under? I assume its the same law that Guided Abraham-Joseph and was readopted during Exodus before THE Law was given.

What happened to "The Book of The Covernant" What was in "The Book of The Covernant"
There was a lot of oral tradition back in those days; but with people living over 900 years there wasn't as much distortion as we would have today. Just think if you had relatives who were alive back when King Arthur ruled England. How would their stories about those days differ from what we hear now?

Also, you'll occasionally see a reference to a staff in the Old Testament. In those days, a staff held your entire family history (probably carved in ancient Hebrew) and was passed down from generation to generation. So those staffs were the first written history of Israel and probably the first written law as well.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.