Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 05-04-2009, 01:00 AM

Default Hughes eyes rematch with Alves, St. Pierre...

Quote:
If getting knocked out and beat down is on his agenda, then Matt Hughes seems to be looking in the right places as he tells MMAFanhouse.com:

“Well, if I beat Serra -- and I obviously think I will -- and Thiago wins I'd love to get a rematch with Thiago. I think that fight could have gone differently if my knee hadn't gone out, so I'd love to rematch Thiago.”

“To be honest, I didn't like the way the last GSP fight went either, so I'd love to rematch GSP. But all I'm worrying about right now is Matt Serra. So where ever winning that fight puts me is fine, but I've just got Matt Serra on my mind right now.”
The intro is pretty ****ty, but I think Matt can win any of those fights.

[
Old 05-04-2009, 04:06 AM
Quell

got a link?
Old 05-04-2009, 04:20 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Once again, they cherry picked one response from an entire article to harp on. Here's the link:
http://mma.fanhouse.com/2009/05/01/m...98-fight/#cont

And here's the quote in context:
Quote:
You've talked about maybe moving up to middleweight. Do you think there's any chance we'll see you fight Anderson Silva?
I don't know. Right now fighting Serra is all that's on my mind. I'm not even thinking about fighting Anderson Silva. He's not who I'm thinking about. As of right now, no thoughts of moving up to face Anderson.

If you beat Serra, how close do you think you are to a shot at the welterweight title against the winner of the Georges St. Pierre-Thiago Alves fight at UFC 100?
Well, if I beat Serra -- and I obviously think I will -- and Thiago wins I'd love to get a rematch with Thiago. I think that fight could have gone differently if my knee hadn't gone out, so I'd love to rematch Thiago. To be honest, I didn't like the way the last GSP fight went either, so I'd love to rematch GSP. But all I'm worrying about right now is Matt Serra. So where ever winning that fight puts me is fine, but I've just got Matt Serra on my mind right now.

One of the reasons I think you'd have a pretty good case for another shot at Thiago is that he didn't make weight when you guys fought. Does it bug you that he came in over the 170-pound welterweight limit?
It's something that I'm not used to. I've wrestled probably 1,000 matches and I've never not made weight. That type of stuff bugs me, but there are people come in two or three or four pounds over -- I forget how much he was over --

He weighed in at 174.
He really wasn't even close. That might bug me a little bit, but that comes with the territory.

Having fought both Thiago and Georges, what's your opinion of their upcoming fight? Who has the advantage?
I think GSP has the advantage. I think the striking will be pretty competitive, maybe Thiago will have an edge there, I don't know. The wrestling I think goes to GSP. I think he'll be able to take Thiago down, and I think the ground work will go to GSP as well. I think it could be a close fight or it could be someone getting knocked out in the first round. The fight could go either way. Sometimes two guys like that could have a great fight or sometimes it could be a stalemate. Let's hope it's not like that and let's hope both guys try to finish, and it's an exciting fight.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:23 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

That's not the whole interview, though. It's a good one, I'd suggest reading it.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:00 AM
Quell

thanks!!
Old 05-04-2009, 08:33 AM

Again shows why Journalists can be absolute mugs!

I believe that when Matt gets back into the groove after pounding Serra then Thiago is a legitimate target again. This time he has to make weight, Hughes Knee is better and i think it could go differently.

Only after that would i want GSP again.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:59 AM
KevinD

Matt deserves to fight whoever he wants. He has earned that much and more. Once he smashes Serra then he should get a rematch with Alves. This time make Alves lose the weight and lets see how it goes..
Old 05-04-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quell
got a link?
http://www.mmanews.com/ufc/Hughes-Ey...t.-Pierre.html

Here's where the article I posted came from.
Ben, thanks for posting part fo the actual interview.

[
Old 05-04-2009, 12:41 PM
cubsfan47

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
That's not the whole interview, though. It's a good one, I'd suggest reading it.
What? You mean reporters quote out of context to push their own viewpoints? Shocking.

Thanks for the link.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Miss Foxy

Love the article! Matt is very focused on SERRA...