Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 05-03-2009, 04:12 PM
mscomc

Default Tips for bench press increase

Hey guys, sorry I havent posted in a while, school was kind of crazy this last little while. So, as some of you may remember, I was the one who posted all those nerdy science topics and stuff, but i do have another side of me that loves working out....but I have been hitting some trouble this last little while with the bench, and i was wondering if someone could gimme some tips

Ok so a little on my routine, Ill throw out a few stats out there, and maybe that can help guage where i need to work on to help my bench press along.
Keep in mind these arent my total workouts for that one muscle.

SHOULDERS

1 set of 15 reps at 70lbs in each hand
1 set of 8-10 reps at 85 lbs in each hand
1 set of 4-6 90lbs in each hand

Biceps

1 set of 15 reps at 35 lbs in each hand
1 set of 12 reps at 40 lbs in each hand
1 set of 8 reps at 45 lbs in each hand
1 set of 4-5 reps at 50 lbs in each hand

Back
***i guess some of this depends on the machine you use****

3 sets of 10 reps of 160lbs on the Row machine
3 sets of 10 reps of 150 on lat pull down machine

1 set of 15 reps of 135 deadlift
1 set of 10 reps of 225 deadlift
1 set of 8 reps of 310 deadlift
1 set of 5 repsof 350 deadlift

Triceps

3 sets of pull downs on a cable machine for 10 reps of 80 lbs

1 set of extensions (behind the head) for a set of 12 with a 60 lbs dumbell on an up right bench

1 set of extensions (behind the head) for a set of 8 with a 70 lbs dumbell on an up right bench

1 set of extensions (behind the head) for a set of 5 with a 80 lbs dumbell on an up right bench

****** A little about myself, Im about 6'3 at 250lbs. Im a little chunky by i been doing alot of cardio this last year.

NOW my bench HAS BEEN STUCK, at like 225lbs for 8 reps. THATS IT!!! i cant seem to go more then that. EVEN if i try like 235, it feels like the weight of the world just got dropped on me. I dont know what to do, its kind of embarassing really. Im starting to think that maybe genetically i dont have what it takes for a strong bench. Any ideas? THANK YOU....
Old 05-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Jason 16

I kinda feel off with my bench Iam 160-165 and I can get 185 5 to 6 times and I can barely get 225 once. I think my squat is good at 370 I realy dont have any one my size to compare my self I think the lightest guy on the foot ball team is 185 or so.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Hughes_GOAT

get the book called Brawn. it will teach you everything about getting strong. until then, take 2 weeks off preferably 4 and not workout at all. your body needs to recover in a major way.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:40 PM
logrus

Welcome to the WTF club. Everyones bench just kinda stalls no matter what everything else is doing. Usually changing things up, order, angles, reps, barbell to dumbbell, eating habits, cardio, traning time and partners could all get you over the plateau,.

Id probably start by fixing your routine since it has holes everywhere. Thats just me.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:45 PM
gymcoach97

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscomc
Hey guys, sorry I havent posted in a while, school was kind of crazy this last little while. So, as some of you may remember, I was the one who posted all those nerdy science topics and stuff, but i do have another side of me that loves working out....but I have been hitting some trouble this last little while with the bench, and i was wondering if someone could gimme some tips

Ok so a little on my routine, Ill throw out a few stats out there, and maybe that can help guage where i need to work on to help my bench press along.
Keep in mind these arent my total workouts for that one muscle.

SHOULDERS

1 set of 15 reps at 70lbs in each hand
1 set of 8-10 reps at 85 lbs in each hand
1 set of 4-6 90lbs in each hand

Biceps

1 set of 15 reps at 35 lbs in each hand
1 set of 12 reps at 40 lbs in each hand
1 set of 8 reps at 45 lbs in each hand
1 set of 4-5 reps at 50 lbs in each hand

Back
***i guess some of this depends on the machine you use****

3 sets of 10 reps of 160lbs on the Row machine
3 sets of 10 reps of 150 on lat pull down machine

1 set of 15 reps of 135 deadlift
1 set of 10 reps of 225 deadlift
1 set of 8 reps of 310 deadlift
1 set of 5 repsof 350 deadlift

Triceps

3 sets of pull downs on a cable machine for 10 reps of 80 lbs

1 set of extensions (behind the head) for a set of 12 with a 60 lbs dumbell on an up right bench

1 set of extensions (behind the head) for a set of 8 with a 70 lbs dumbell on an up right bench

1 set of extensions (behind the head) for a set of 5 with a 80 lbs dumbell on an up right bench

****** A little about myself, Im about 6'3 at 250lbs. Im a little chunky by i been doing alot of cardio this last year.

NOW my bench HAS BEEN STUCK, at like 225lbs for 8 reps. THATS IT!!! i cant seem to go more then that. EVEN if i try like 235, it feels like the weight of the world just got dropped on me. I dont know what to do, its kind of embarassing really. Im starting to think that maybe genetically i dont have what it takes for a strong bench. Any ideas? THANK YOU....

First of all, you have way too much volume. You're not going to see your weight increase much with all of that in your workouts. Secondly, you are not going to get stronger until you start doing heavier weight for less reps...so, include some 5's, 4's, and heavy triples, doubles, and singles. If you just keep doing the 225 for 8 reps, that's all your body is going to respond to.

Third, the deadlift is not a back exercise. It requires back stabilization, but the prime movers should be the glutes and hamstrings via a "hip hinge." The scapula should be retracted (pulled back and down) and the core should be stabilized, but the movement should occur by hinging at the hips.

Fourth, try to avoid machines. You'll get more out of free weights. Also, mix in some body weight exercises. I don't barbell bench anymore, but my dumbbell bench has gone up quite a bit and I only do an actual bench exercise once a week. Instead, I do a ton of push-ups and push-up variations (inclined, weighted, etc.). A lot of failed bench pressing is do to a poor set-up. The upper back must very strong and stable. So, do more pull-ups, inverted body weight rows, and upper back/scapular stabilizing work like face pulls, wall slides, and Y's, T's, I's, W's to work all of the little stabilizer muscles.

If you're looking to build pure strength, I'd suggest searching online and maybe following a Westside type of template. It encompasses a max effort day and also a speed day. The focus of speed work is to improve your rate of force development.

If you're working for strength, I would not do anything over about 10 reps at the most. I usually prescribe 6-8 reps in a set for my accessory work and if I want a little more volume, I just do extra sets. Doing 15 and then 12, etc. You're spent at the end of your warm-up sets. You should not need to warm-up that much if you're doing a good dynamic warm-up at the beginning of the workout. Your warm-up sets should not exceed 5 reps or so - otherwise you're done before you've even gotten into your work sets.

There are a lot of other tidbits of advice I could give...but, my suggestion is to look online for Westside stuff and then go check out some of the articles from these guys:

Eric Cressey (www.ericcressey.com)
Mike Robertson (www.robertsontrainingsystems.com)

And, there's information at T-nation (www.t-nation.com) if you sift through the muscle-head garbage, there's some good information there.

Also, go check out Dave Tate's site at www.elitefts.com
And, Joe DeFranco at www.defrancostraining.com there is a template called "Westside for Skinny Bastards." It's a little different from a traditional Westside, but you could modify it.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:35 PM
mscomc

Hey guys, thanks alot for the info, I guess i didnt realize that my "game" wasnt so good. I guess ill have to go make some adjustments. Thanks a lot everyone, its really appreciated.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:11 AM
mscomc

Hey guys.....so about 10 months later............

I took yall's advice, went back, and fixed my routine (gymcoach, special shout out to you).

Today I benched 315x3 reps (with a spot of course )

I know its not that much, but it was personal acheivement, i always have had a hard time with chest.

Well. thanks again.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:07 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscomc View Post
Hey guys.....so about 10 months later............

I took yall's advice, went back, and fixed my routine (gymcoach, special shout out to you).

Today I benched 315x3 reps (with a spot of course )

I know its not that much, but it was personal acheivement, i always have had a hard time with chest.

Well. thanks again.
pics or shens

Old 01-19-2010, 03:34 AM
Silverback

Thanks for the info, but thats sounds to much like work, I think I will try to call McQwire and see if he has some of that stuff left over and offer him some money, I AM ONLY KIDDING, I REPEAT I AM ONLY KIDDING.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:34 AM

i was gonna suggest cutting half his arm off, cause the guys with the shortest arms get the highest press the easiest