Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 05-03-2009, 06:09 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
I think it's funny that people say that crap every time we see an early KO in a boxing match, but when that happens in MMA they call it "exciting".

Okay, well I just watched the fight and that is hardly a fair way to look at it. Hatton looked like complete crap against Manny. He moved slow as hell and had no footwork or head movement. When he fought Floyd he was actually moving well in the beginning. Obviously training with Mayweather Sr. did not garner the pay-off he expected it would. Or he just didn't listen, which seems likely considering Floyd Sr was yelling at Ricky that he should have listened to him from day 1 in between rounds. Who the hell knows. Regardless, that was not the same Ricky Hatton who fought Floyd Jr, and it's no surprise that Manny knocked him out like that.

We don't know how Floyd is going to look after all the time off, and obviously Manny is on fire right now, but Floyd is the king of counter punchers and he won't play Pac-Man's game like Hatton did. I think it's fair to say that right now Manny would appear to have the edge, but Floyd has been there before and every time the non-believers have eaten crow. So, while I will definitely be pulling for Mayweather, I will reserve my judgment on the exact outcome until after I see PBF fight Marquez, and until closer to the actual fight.
Actually with MMA at least the other fights on the card could be just as good or even better then the main draw. We rarely ever say this when it comes to boxing. Who fought during the undercard (google it =P)Second, I don't pay for MMA fights either. I fI don't watch it over the net I just go to Heros or B.W.W.

I see Manny as an evolving fighter. The guy seems to get better with every fight. Not only that but he seems to change it up to the point where what your expecting isn't what hes planning on doing. He's out boxed the boxer, out slugged the slugger. Hes slugged the boxer, and boxed the slugger. Floyd, well he just counters.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:35 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus
Actually with MMA at least the other fights on the card could be just as good or even better then the main draw. We rarely ever say this when it comes to boxing. Who fought during the undercard (google it =P)Second, I don't pay for MMA fights either. I fI don't watch it over the net I just go to Heros or B.W.W.

I see Manny as an evolving fighter. The guy seems to get better with every fight. Not only that but he seems to change it up to the point where what your expecting isn't what hes planning on doing. He's out boxed the boxer, out slugged the slugger. Hes slugged the boxer, and boxed the slugger. Floyd, well he just counters.
That first point is a bit off the mark. We see plenty of less than stellar fights on MMA undercards all the time, and even less than stellar main events sometimes. There have been some great undercard fights with boxing, people just don't pay attention because they rarely know all the competition they are seeing fight. I don't follow Boxing as closely as used to say 5 years ago, and I admit, I only really knew things about 3 or 4 of the undercard fighters, like Soto, Jacobs, Omar Chavez, and Ricky Hatton's little brother Matt. I also did not to get to really see much of the undercard fights at all, but 2 of the 4 televised undercard fights ended in a TKO, one in the second round.

As for Manny, yes he does look great right now. Nobody can deny that. Still, lets not forget that in order to finish somebody off, you have to actually hit them. Floyd has made a career out of taking away the open areas to land shots on him with his superb reflexes and defensive skills. It's not fair to try and compare the Hatton of last night to the Hatton who fought Floyd. The Hatton who fought Floyd did not lead with his chin and forget to throw a single jab. It's no surprise at all the Manny did that to Ricky, it's like Hatton just tossed whatever game-plan he had right out the window as soon the bell rang, because I don't believe for one second that Floyd Sr. sent Ricky out there with THAT game-plan.

Floyd Jr. is somewhat of bad style match-up for Pac-Man. Marquez figured Manny out twice, both were very controversial decisions. Floyd can do anything Marquez can do but better, and we will get a chance to see that in action on July 18. So this is going to be a very interesting year for Boxing fans, and I can honestly say I am excited.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:36 PM
logrus

Quote:
That first point is a bit off the mark. We see plenty of less than stellar fights on MMA undercards all the time, and even less than stellar main events sometimes. There have been some great undercard fights with boxing, people just don't pay attention because they rarely know all the competition they are seeing fight. I don't follow Boxing as closely as used to say 5 years ago, and I admit, I only really knew things about 3 or 4 of the undercard fighters, like Soto, Jacobs, Omar Chavez, and Ricky Hatton's little brother Matt. I also did not to get to really see much of the undercard fights at all, but 2 of the 4 televised undercard fights ended in a TKO, one in the second round.

As for Manny, yes he does look great right now. Nobody can deny that. Still, lets not forget that in order to finish somebody off, you have to actually hit them. Floyd has made a career out of taking away the open areas to land shots on him with his superb reflexes and defensive skills. It's not fair to try and compare the Hatton of last night to the Hatton who fought Floyd. The Hatton who fought Floyd did not lead with his chin and forget to throw a single jab. It's no surprise at all the Manny did that to Ricky, it's like Hatton just tossed whatever game-plan he had right out the window as soon the bell rang, because I don't believe for one second that Floyd Sr. sent Ricky out there with THAT game-plan.

Floyd Jr. is somewhat of bad style match-up for Pac-Man. Marquez figured Manny out twice, both were very controversial decisions. Floyd can do anything Marquez can do but better, and we will get a chance to see that in action on July 18. So this is going to be a very interesting year for Boxing fans, and I can honestly say I am excited.
Yeah that Hatton looked a lot different then the one who went late into the fight with Floyd, and I don't see the point of Hattons game plan last nite. It looked like he went to slug it out and nothing more.

I think if there is one fighter to be a huge treat to PBF it would be Manny. He has the speed to counter Floyds speed. He has the power to hurt him when the time comes and the precision to land the shot on the elusive Floyd.

Pople say the Marquez fights were controversial only due to compu stats. The first meeting I really don't remember, prob drunk as a skunk. The second one had Marq with the better accuracy, Manny threw more, and had the only knockdown thus with the victory. Besides I thought Manny was more active in that fight.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:18 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Yeah that Hatton looked a lot different then the one who went late into the fight with Floyd, and I don't see the point of Hattons game plan last nite. It looked like he went to slug it out and nothing more.

I think if there is one fighter to be a huge treat to PBF it would be Manny. He has the speed to counter Floyds speed. He has the power to hurt him when the time comes and the precision to land the shot on the elusive Floyd.

Pople say the Marquez fights were controversial only due to compu stats. The first meeting I really don't remember, prob drunk as a skunk. The second one had Marq with the better accuracy, Manny threw more, and had the only knockdown thus with the victory. Besides I thought Manny was more active in that fight.
I will give you that, if there is one fighter I think could stop Floyd I would definitely say Manny, but at the same time I could see it going the other way. Floyd is naturally a bit bigger than Manny, and I would definitely give the slight edge in speed to PBF.

The first Marquez fight was a Draw. Pac-Man knocked Marquez down 3 times in the first round but then Juan came back and out boxed him the rest of the fight. The second fight was close, but the numbers don't lie, Marquez landed more better punches. Pacquiao is awesome, and I think it will be an awesome fight if it happens, but Manny can be figured out and with Floyd's reputation he could definitely do it.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:42 PM
atomdanger

I didn't order it, just watched online (because I dislike boxing, but was curious).
But damn... Pacman was fast... and what a KO.....
Nice nice....
Old 05-03-2009, 11:43 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
The first Marquez fight was a Draw. Pac-Man knocked Marquez down 3 times in the first round but then Juan came back and out boxed him the rest of the fight. The second fight was close, but the numbers don't lie, Marquez landed more better punches. Pacquiao is awesome, and I think it will be an awesome fight if it happens, but Manny can be figured out and with Floyd's reputation he could definitely do it.
Wait.. (forgive my boxing moron-ness)

isn't that a fight ender? If I knock you down 3 times in a round its a tko right?
Or am I off?
Old 05-04-2009, 12:34 AM
logrus

Quote:
I will give you that, if there is one fighter I think could stop Floyd I would definitely say Manny, but at the same time I could see it going the other way. Floyd is naturally a bit bigger than Manny, and I would definitely give the slight edge in speed to PBF.

I think what might be the deciding factor is Floyd doesn't have a kill switch. Most of his fights goes 2/3 of a fight.Those fights go later then I believe they should. This could prove to be the Xfator if they are to meet. I know I wouldn't want to keep Manny around.

Counters give Manny trouble, but people who match Floyds speed and deadly aim give him trouble. Zabs had a very good showing against him, even had a controversial knockdown that was ruled a slip.

Marq landed the better shots by compu standards, but Manny had the only knockdown in that second fight. Clearly the deciding facotr. Otherwise it could have possibly been another draw,
Old 05-04-2009, 01:06 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
Wait.. (forgive my boxing moron-ness)

isn't that a fight ender? If I knock you down 3 times in a round its a tko right?
Or am I off?
Only if the 3-knockdown rule is effect, or if you are playing Punch-Out

Not all fights have that clause.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:14 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
I think what might be the deciding factor is Floyd doesn't have a kill switch. Most of his fights goes 2/3 of a fight.Those fights go later then I believe they should. This could prove to be the Xfator if they are to meet. I know I wouldn't want to keep Manny around.

Counters give Manny trouble, but people who match Floyds speed and deadly aim give him trouble. Zabs had a very good showing against him, even had a controversial knockdown that was ruled a slip.

Marq landed the better shots by compu standards, but Manny had the only knockdown in that second fight. Clearly the deciding facotr. Otherwise it could have possibly been another draw,
Judah is a REAL punk, no class and no talent punk. Floyd is just flashy and has that boxing swagger that annoys people, but he ain't a piece a crap like Judah. Floyd beat the piss out of Zab, he broke his nose and Judah got mad and started fighting dirty. Floyd clearly owned him.

I know that the knockdown is what sealed the deal for Pac to win, and I am not even trying to make a case for Marquez being better than Pac or anything like that, I was really just eluding to the fact that Pacquiao can be figured out and taken the distance. I mean, Pac WAS TKO'd by what was basically a jab in his last fight at 112lbs. Not to mention, Floyd has been in there with the best and he has beaten them all; Arturo Gatti, Diego Corrales, Jose Luis Castillio, Genaro Hernandez, Zab Judah, and of course De La Hoya and Hatton.

Like I said before, this will be an interesting year for Boxing indeed.

Last edited by J.B.; 05-04-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:10 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Only if the 3-knockdown rule is effect, or if you are playing Punch-Out

Not all fights have that clause.

Oh really??? That isn't always a rule? Im so confused.