Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 05-01-2009, 09:19 PM
atomdanger

Default Dana White: Angel of Mercy or Hostage-Taker?

http://www.cagepotato.com/dana-white...-hostage-taker

Quote:
White announced that Chuck would absolutely be retiring from the sport, profits be damned. Later, he promised "a f**king war" if Liddell refused to hang up his gloves, ostensibly because he didn't want to see his longtime friend permanently injured.

Well, Chuck hasn't retired yet. And Dana might get that f**king war after all.

Here's what Liddell's longtime trainer John Hackleman told AroundtheOctagon this weekend:

"If it went to court you canít stop someone from their livelihood. If heís under contract with the UFC they have to give him a fight or if they donít they have to let him go. They just canít say you arenít going to fight. Chuck is still under contract and they have to give him a fight or let him go.Ē

Because he has one fight left on his UFC contract, Liddell is currently unable to compete for another MMA organization. If the UFC lets him fight one more time, then he's free to leave them and make money for one of the UFC's rivals. To prevent this situation, the UFC is simply choosing to not give him that last fight.
Interesting article...

Would seem sort of horrible of them to just not give Chuck his last fight,
I wonder how this will all really go down...
Old 05-01-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger

Interesting article...

This could get ugly. I didn't like the way that Dana was saying "he's done".

[
Old 05-01-2009, 09:28 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
This could get ugly. I didn't like the way that Dana was saying "he's done".
Yeah... me either...

I understand where Dana is coming from though,
I don't want to see Chuck, or anybody else go out like Shamrock did...
sad.... But on the other side... who are we to tell a fighter to retire?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Liddellfan

When was this article written??? I am at work and can't open the link.
Just last week Chuck and Dana seemed to be getting along fine in the V-Blog at the NASCAR race in Talladega.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:15 AM
David_Banner

I just can;t see Chuck taking his show on the road. I think it is very possible we'll see Chuck finish his contract but I just dont believe Chuck, at his age, will throw his relationship with the UFC/Dana out the window just to fight one or two more times. There again, I don't understand why Dana his talking so much crap about Chuck retiring so yeah, whatever..
Old 05-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger

Interesting article...

Huerta is complaining about the same thing in Fighters Only.

Seems he wants to do something else...and the UFC havent arranged for his last contractual fight.

One person they are trying to force to fight, the other they are trying to force not to fight
Old 05-04-2009, 09:41 AM

Chuck won't sever ties with UFC and Dana said the'll keep employed in some sort of job.

Besides Chuck and Dana have to talk and im sure this will get sorted if Chuck wants to fight.

There is a simple solution, DONT PUT CHUCK IN WITH THE ELITE 205 LHW for just ONE FIGHT. Is that too much too ask?

Even Randy got a warm up against Mike Van Arnsdale.

Matt got the tough but not elite Lytle. They gave Koscheck for GSP to build himself up again.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion
Chuck won't sever ties with UFC and Dana said the'll keep employed in some sort of job.

Besides Chuck and Dana have to talk and im sure this will get sorted if Chuck wants to fight.

There is a simple solution, DONT PUT CHUCK IN WITH THE ELITE 205 LHW for just ONE FIGHT. Is that too much too ask?

Even Randy got a warm up against Mike Van Arnsdale.

Matt got the tough but not elite Lytle. They gave Koscheck for GSP to build himself up again.
make Chuck smush a noob for old times sake you mean
Old 05-04-2009, 03:19 PM
ufcfan2

Interesting situation to say the least and I think it will get sortof ugly if both bump heads. I understand both sides motives and not sure how or what is best way to fix this.
If u give Chuck his last fight he can go fight for another organization if he wants and keep fighting. I'm sure Dana does'nt want that so refuse his last fight as long as possible.
I think Chuck is done,but /shrug hes a grown man and he can do what he wants I guess. I think I agree with ppl saying those KO's have already taken tolls on his body. I do hope his friends/trainer will be smart and suggest to Chuck what is best for his health and not just be 'YES MEN'....
Though I'm not a fan of Chucks I don't wanna see a guy who had it all pull a Shamrock and taint his legacy. I understand the competitive edge and its hard to give something you love doing up,but to end up mentally damaged for it is a huge risk.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Miss Foxy

Business is business and the media does not know what Chuck and Dana talk about behind closed doors. With that being said I don't want to point fingers at Dana nor feel too sorry for Chuck. Chuck had a beautiful career, and he will always have my respect as a fighter. He is a true pioneer of the sport.