Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 05-01-2009, 08:29 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

I figured I should keep track of what I'm eating, too.

I got up about 11/11:30 & made myself a shake:
  • 2 cups milk
    • Vitamin D Whole milk
  • 2 scoops protein
  • 1 spoonful peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup oatmeal
I warmed up a sweet potato & munched on that.

I'm about to play basketball with my brother again, so I'll probably make myself some "lunch" after that.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:10 PM
rearnakedchoke

nice ... i used to do one body part per day, but now in my old age i string together about three body parts and do them back to back to back ... plus i work out at work, so i gotta make most of the hour i spend in there
Old 05-04-2009, 05:02 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

I missed working out no Friday due to soreness. Yesterday & today I've have been swamped trying to write papers & study for my FINAL finals (Commencement in 12 days, 9hrs & 58mins!!!!), I but was sick of being cooped up, so I did a quick bicep workout today. I took it lighter than we previous two work-out (somewhere, xSub is giggling at my previous work-outs being considered heavy) but was OK with the results. Gotta start somewhere, right?I came to the realization on the Bb curls, and even more so on the Hammer curls, that my left bicep is much weaker than my right. I've developed some bad habits on my left side to compensate (shrugging my shoulder, popping my elbow out, etc.). I'll definitely need to go to lower weights, higher reps to get my form solid again so that I don't risk stupid injuries.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:06 AM
gymcoach97

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
I missed working out no Friday due to soreness. Yesterday & today I've have been swamped trying to write papers & study for my FINAL finals (Commencement in 12 days, 9hrs & 58mins!!!!), I but was sick of being cooped up, so I did a quick bicep workout today. I took it lighter than we previous two work-out (somewhere, xSub is giggling at my previous work-outs being considered heavy) but was OK with the results. Gotta start somewhere, right?I came to the realization on the Bb curls, and even more so on the Hammer curls, that my left bicep is much weaker than my right. I've developed some bad habits on my left side to compensate (shrugging my shoulder, popping my elbow out, etc.). I'll definitely need to go to lower weights, higher reps to get my form solid again so that I don't risk stupid injuries.
Ought oh...you were the infamous "Bicep Guy" today, eh? The guy that does a million (I'm exaggerating) variations of the bicep curl. Please tell me that you didn't tie up the rack to do your bicep curls? People who use the rack for its intended use - squatting, rack pulls, etc. get really pissed if you tie up the rack for bicep curls!

Well, I've got about 3.5 days to change your approach to training when we hang out in Vegas...I'm going to do my best.

Isolation is a thing of the past - integration is for the new generation!

Movements over muscles!

Old 05-04-2009, 06:11 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymcoach97
Ought oh...you were the infamous "Bicep Guy" today, eh? The guy that does a million (I'm exaggerating) variations of the bicep curl. Please tell me that you didn't tie up the rack to do your bicep curls? People who use the rack for its intended use - squatting, rack pulls, etc. get really pissed if you tie up the rack for bicep curls!

Well, I've got about 3.5 days to change your approach to training when we hang out in Vegas...I'm going to do my best.

Isolation is a thing of the past - integration is for the new generation!

Movements over muscles!

Why wouldn't I? I mean, I've always found that what work best for me is to grab the rack, put a curl bar on there, pull over the Smith machine so I can do some fore-arm curls, drag in a bench in case I want to do some supines, add the preacher curl seat for those & then, of course, incorporate the militray press rig so I can sit down in case I get tired. I've found that just hauling all of these into the same area realyl helps my workout, & that's what's important.

Why is that a bad thing?
Old 05-09-2009, 07:55 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

So between the papers due Tuesday, the surgery Wednesday & my Final yesterday, I've been swamped this week, but I was finally able to get back into the gym today to work shoulders & triceps. Unfortunately, it never occurred to me that they might close the student-staffed gym early on the last day of exams (who woulda thunk it?), so when I finished my 5min warm-up on the bike and my buddy told me I only had until 8pm (it was 7:22), I knew I had to kick it into high gear. 38min later, here's what I had accomplished:
  • Military Press (3x10)
    • 10 - 65lbs
    • 10 - 85lbs
    • 10 - 95lbs
  • Lateral Shoulder Raises (3x10)
    • 10 - 70lbs
    • 10 - 80lbs
    • 10 - 80lbs
  • Up-right Rows (3x10)
    • 10 - 45lbs
    • 10 - 55lbs
    • 8 - 65lbs
  • Bent-over lat. Raises (3x10)
    • 10 - 10lbs
    • 10 - 15lbs
    • 10 - 15lbs
  • Rope Abs
    • 10 - 100lbs
    • 10 - 100lbs
    • 10 - 100lbs
Old 05-09-2009, 01:41 PM
County Mike

70 and 80 pounds on the lateral shoulder raises? That's impressive. Are you talking about holding dumbbells down at your side, then raising your arms up like you're on a cross? Maybe I have the name of the workout wrong. I only do 35 pound dumbbells for those.

Keep hitting the gym! Will you have access to a gym now that you're finished school?
Old 05-09-2009, 02:50 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
70 and 80 pounds on the lateral shoulder raises? That's impressive. Are you talking about holding dumbbells down at your side, then raising your arms up like you're on a cross? Maybe I have the name of the workout wrong. I only do 35 pound dumbbells for those.

Keep hitting the gym! Will you have access to a gym now that you're finished school?
MY guess is hes talking something diff cause most I can do without tearing off my shoulders is 35 pounds, and Im a freak compared to him.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:47 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike

No, this was on a machine. When I used dumbbells, I'm usually only able to do about...15lbs, I think? I'm not really certain why Alex had me use the machine instead of the free weights (which I prefer), but whatever.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:24 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
No, this was on a machine. When I used dumbbells, I'm usually only able to do about...15lbs, I think? I'm not really certain why Alex had me use the machine instead of the free weights (which I prefer), but whatever.
I dunno about that still even with a triple cable pully system and both arms 80 for 10 is still hard to believe.