Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 05-01-2009, 05:54 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Workout Log - VCURamFan

My last thread got de-railed by a petulant boy, so I had the mods delete it & I'm starting fresh here. Below is all the pertinent data from that thread:

Quote:
Weighed-in at 205.8lbs When I started here.

Wed - Back:
  • Dumbbell Rows (3x8-10)
    • 10 (35)
    • 10 (45)
    • 10 (50)
  • Pull-Ups (to fail w/ 52lbs counter-balance...for now)
  • Dumbbell Pull-Overs (3x8-10)
    • 10 (30)
    • 10 (40)
    • 10 (45)
  • Hyper Extensions (3x8-10)
  • Rope Abs (3x8-10)
    • 10 (80)
    • 10 (100)
    • 10 (100)
  • Obliques (60 total)
Thurs - Chest
I played a lot of basketball with my brother this afternoon (mostly H-O-R-S-E, but also some tone-down 21), so that'll count as my "cardio" until my ankle heals up enough for me to actually run on it. Then I went to the gym & hit chest.
  • Bb flat bench (5x5)
    • 115*
  • Db incline press (5x5)
    • 25s
    • 35s
    • 35s`
    • 35s
    • 35s
  • Dips (3 sets to fail; 70lbs counter-balance**)
  • Rope Abs (3x10)
  • Obliquies (60 total)
    • 20``
* - I got the first three reps on my own, but needed my spotter for the last 2.
` - I tried moving up to 45s (and the 40s), but knew after a rep or two that I wouldn't be able to finish out all my sets, so I went back down.
** - Haha, I went to do body-weight dips & my tris were so dead from benching that when I took my feet off the supports, my arms gave out & I dropped straight to the ground.
`` - I got really light-headed, which was wierd. After last night's workout I had gotten a headahce & was dizzy & I think it's cause I was moving too quick on these. I use the hyper extension machine so I can go full range of motion & with my lanky frame, my head sticks out about 3ft from my hips. Tomorrow I'll just have to make sure to use a more moderate pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymcoach97
VCURamFan,

When we're in Vegas, let's go train together. I'll take you through one of my workouts. I'll see if I can convince you to abandon the "body part" approach and to focus on movements, not muscles.

The body does not recognize individual muscles - it knows how to move. And, I love the quote that I saw the other day from Nick Winkleman from Athletes Performance in Tempe, AZ -

"If you just train the muscles, you forget the movements...but, if you train the movements, you never forget the muscles."

The body does not function in isolation. It is an integrated kinetic chain, so why train in isolation unless your only goal is to be a bodybuilder and even then I'd still base my program around big movements that will give me "more bang for my buck" and a little supplementary work on specific muscles.

The invite goes out to anybody else that would like to come and train that'll be in Vegas for UFC 98!!
Smells like a plan to me. I'll make sure to bring my camera along so that the ladies on here can lust after us.
From here on out, please keep this training related. If you feel the need to mock, deride, "encourage", etc., go start another thread & do it there. Otherwise, I'd prefer to keep this a clean record of my owrkouts so I can look over it easily.

Logrus, I will allow you one "OMG, he made ANOTHER training thread!!!" post. Make it count!
Old 05-01-2009, 05:55 PM
logrus

see what I mean!!
Old 05-01-2009, 05:59 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus
see what I mean!!
Haha, that's your one.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:34 PM

Keep up the good work in the gym brother. I'll pass along any tips I pick up and please do the same!

[
Old 05-01-2009, 06:38 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
Keep up the good work in the gym brother. I'll pass along any tips I pick up and please do the same!
Yeah, definitely.

The one thing that Alex (my buddy who's putting this together for me) has really been harping on is to only take a 90sec break between sets. I dunno (because I haven't asked) what it's upposed to accomplish, but I can tell you this: I have never been this sore after a workout!
Old 05-01-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Yeah, definitely.

The one thing that Alex (my buddy who's putting this together for me) has really been harping on is to only take a 90sec break between sets. I dunno (because I haven't asked) what it's upposed to accomplish, but I can tell you this: I have never been this sore after a workout!
I'll give that a try! I've been staying away from big weight workouts mainly because the boxing and muay thai workouts get me sore enough, but now I'm realizing that I REALLY want have bigger arms, back, pecs, shoulders, etc...

[
Old 05-01-2009, 07:29 PM
County Mike

I got away from doing heavy weight in favor of lighter weight with more reps. It was cool for a while but now I'm back to heavy weights again. It's good to mix it up, but for size and strength you really have to push the strength limits.

I do recommend dumbbells instead of straight bar. Easier on your shoulders and forces you to use your stabilizing muscles. Also, if you don't have a spotter you can just drop them when you reach failure.

I just started adding in a rings workout (gymnastic rings). It's friggin' awesome! I'll try to make a video showing the different workouts and post it one day. The rings weren't cheap (about $78) but well worth it in my opinion if you have a place to hang and use them.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:34 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
I got away from doing heavy weight in favor of lighter weight with more reps. It was cool for a while but now I'm back to heavy weights again. It's good to mix it up, but for size and strength you really have to push the strength limits.

I do recommend dumbbells instead of straight bar. Easier on your shoulders and forces you to use your stabilizing muscles. Also, if you don't have a spotter you can just drop them when you reach failure.

I just started adding in a rings workout (gymnastic rings). It's friggin' awesome! I'll try to make a video showing the different workouts and post it one day. The rings weren't cheap (about $78) but well worth it in my opinion if you have a place to hang and use them.
I love Db exercises. Though I'm not certain, I think it's cause I enjoy engaging the stabilizer muscles more & I feel like I'm getting a more effective workout.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:47 PM
gymcoach97

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike

TRX bands are great as well. Similar to the rings, they are suspension training devices. I think their website is:

www.fitnessanywhere.com

With that said, I don't own TRX bands because they are $150. I bought a couple of $10.00 webbing slings from this place and they work pretty much the same. They aren't as adjustable and don't have fancy handles, but $150 vs. $20. I'm satisfied. Both ends have handles on them and I just loop one end through another around the top of a rack and it works fine.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...ord=Web+Slings
Old 05-01-2009, 07:53 PM
County Mike

Checked out the bands. Pretty cool but like you said, I think I could make my own for a fraction of the cost. Slide some basic webbing through a couple short pieces of PVC pipe and you've got flat handles.

Where did you get your webbing with handles on the ends? I'm just thinking of basic tie down straps that are also easily adjustable.