Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 6,004
Default Protecting the hands

I'm looking for some advice and unput about hands. I've been boxing for almost 5 years (off and on) and within the last year or so I've really focused in and feel like I'm finally getting good (got some new coaches that are technique monsters). The problem is that with getting better, I'm hitting a lot harder and am experiencing some hand fatigue and soreness. I wanted ot see if anyone has any tips for this. I typically double wrap on sparring days and single wrap on other days. Today while typing I noticed that my right index knuckle is pretty sore.
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Sugar Shane's Avatar
Sugar Shane Sugar Shane is offline
Tattoo Artist
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Who knows anymore??
Posts: 147
Default

You definitely need to keep wrapping up and make sure you are wrapping in a way that you are separating your knuckles. The most common fracture is a "boxers break" which affects all the little bones in the top of your hands. If you dont know for sure how to wrap up tp prevent this, ask around and someone will be more than happy to show you, I am sure.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-01-2009, 04:31 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
Allons-y
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,298
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Shane
You definitely need to keep wrapping up and make sure you are wrapping in a way that you are separating your knuckles. The most common fracture is a "boxers break" which affects all the little bones in the top of your hands. If you dont know for sure how to wrap up tp prevent this, ask around and someone will be more than happy to show you, I am sure.
You should wrap his hands for him & then go a few rounds in Vegas. Maybe Dana will put y'all on the undercard!!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

When you are getting sore fingers is it after sparring, speed bag, or punching bag??
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Sugar Shane's Avatar
Sugar Shane Sugar Shane is offline
Tattoo Artist
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Who knows anymore??
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
You should wrap his hands for him & then go a few rounds in Vegas. Maybe Dana will put y'all on the undercard!!!
Hey, why not!! But I think I may outweigh him by a little. LOL!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 6,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Shane
You definitely need to keep wrapping up and make sure you are wrapping in a way that you are separating your knuckles. The most common fracture is a "boxers break" which affects all the little bones in the top of your hands. If you dont know for sure how to wrap up tp prevent this, ask around and someone will be more than happy to show you, I am sure.
Yeah I got the wrap down. I think might be tendon soreness. It's the first time it started bothering me. I jsut wondered if after doing a lot of pads and bag work dod you do any sort of post workout treatment ot your hands (soak in epsom salt, ice, etc)

I saw Shane tap Todd out so I don't want any part of his ground game;)
I'll spar hands with anyone though (love to learn from people with more experience)

I weigh about 205 right now.
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-02-2009, 02:01 AM
Sugar Shane's Avatar
Sugar Shane Sugar Shane is offline
Tattoo Artist
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Who knows anymore??
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
Yeah I got the wrap down. I think might be tendon soreness. It's the first time it started bothering me. I jsut wondered if after doing a lot of pads and bag work dod you do any sort of post workout treatment ot your hands (soak in epsom salt, ice, etc)

I saw Shane tap Todd out so I don't want any part of his ground game;)
I'll spar hands with anyone though (love to learn from people with more experience)

I weigh about 205 right now.
I dont use ice post workout, but I do sometimes use cold water, just not ice cold. It helps to calm down those tendons and whatnot. Just about a 10 to 15 minute soak post bagwork. I dont have too much pain after hitting mits of thai pads, just the heavy bag. Let me know if this helps, so I can make sure I write it down and note that it actually helped someone besides myself. Thanks. Ohh, and me tapping Todd was more of a fluke I think, I think he was just uncomfortable. LOL!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-02-2009, 03:15 AM
atomdanger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Not sure....
I have never (unless hitting something bare knuckle) had sore hands from sparring boxing or MT.

Maybe look up better technique on hand wrapping?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-02-2009, 04:23 AM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 6,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
Not sure....
I have never (unless hitting something bare knuckle) had sore hands from sparring boxing or MT.

Maybe look up better technique on hand wrapping?
Wraps are good. I think it's just general hand fatigue. Going to try the cold water but made it through Thai tonight without any discomfort.
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-02-2009, 04:28 AM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
I'm looking for some advice and unput about hands. I've been boxing for almost 5 years (off and on) and within the last year or so I've really focused in and feel like I'm finally getting good (got some new coaches that are technique monsters). The problem is that with getting better, I'm hitting a lot harder and am experiencing some hand fatigue and soreness. I wanted ot see if anyone has any tips for this. I typically double wrap on sparring days and single wrap on other days. Today while typing I noticed that my right index knuckle is pretty sore.
You never responded to my ?....Anyways.. I strongly advise to stop double wrapping. Be sure when wrapping to have your hands relaxed. Many people have myths and legends on wrapping its plain n simple..I recommend using longer wraps personally.If the pain continues get it checked out could be calcium deposits very common amongest boxers. You also might want to try doing routine ergonomics for your wrists and hands...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.