Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 05-01-2009, 04:16 PM

Default Protecting the hands

I'm looking for some advice and unput about hands. I've been boxing for almost 5 years (off and on) and within the last year or so I've really focused in and feel like I'm finally getting good (got some new coaches that are technique monsters). The problem is that with getting better, I'm hitting a lot harder and am experiencing some hand fatigue and soreness. I wanted ot see if anyone has any tips for this. I typically double wrap on sparring days and single wrap on other days. Today while typing I noticed that my right index knuckle is pretty sore.

[
Old 05-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Tattoo Artist

You definitely need to keep wrapping up and make sure you are wrapping in a way that you are separating your knuckles. The most common fracture is a "boxers break" which affects all the little bones in the top of your hands. If you dont know for sure how to wrap up tp prevent this, ask around and someone will be more than happy to show you, I am sure.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Shane
You definitely need to keep wrapping up and make sure you are wrapping in a way that you are separating your knuckles. The most common fracture is a "boxers break" which affects all the little bones in the top of your hands. If you dont know for sure how to wrap up tp prevent this, ask around and someone will be more than happy to show you, I am sure.
You should wrap his hands for him & then go a few rounds in Vegas. Maybe Dana will put y'all on the undercard!!!
Old 05-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Miss Foxy

When you are getting sore fingers is it after sparring, speed bag, or punching bag??
Old 05-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Tattoo Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
You should wrap his hands for him & then go a few rounds in Vegas. Maybe Dana will put y'all on the undercard!!!
Hey, why not!! But I think I may outweigh him by a little. LOL!!!!
Old 05-01-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Shane
Yeah I got the wrap down. I think might be tendon soreness. It's the first time it started bothering me. I jsut wondered if after doing a lot of pads and bag work dod you do any sort of post workout treatment ot your hands (soak in epsom salt, ice, etc)

I saw Shane tap Todd out so I don't want any part of his ground game;)
I'll spar hands with anyone though (love to learn from people with more experience)

I weigh about 205 right now.

[
Old 05-02-2009, 02:01 AM
Tattoo Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
Yeah I got the wrap down. I think might be tendon soreness. It's the first time it started bothering me. I jsut wondered if after doing a lot of pads and bag work dod you do any sort of post workout treatment ot your hands (soak in epsom salt, ice, etc)

I saw Shane tap Todd out so I don't want any part of his ground game;)
I'll spar hands with anyone though (love to learn from people with more experience)

I weigh about 205 right now.
I dont use ice post workout, but I do sometimes use cold water, just not ice cold. It helps to calm down those tendons and whatnot. Just about a 10 to 15 minute soak post bagwork. I dont have too much pain after hitting mits of thai pads, just the heavy bag. Let me know if this helps, so I can make sure I write it down and note that it actually helped someone besides myself. Thanks. Ohh, and me tapping Todd was more of a fluke I think, I think he was just uncomfortable. LOL!!
Old 05-02-2009, 03:15 AM
atomdanger

Not sure....
I have never (unless hitting something bare knuckle) had sore hands from sparring boxing or MT.

Maybe look up better technique on hand wrapping?
Old 05-02-2009, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
Not sure....
I have never (unless hitting something bare knuckle) had sore hands from sparring boxing or MT.

Maybe look up better technique on hand wrapping?
Wraps are good. I think it's just general hand fatigue. Going to try the cold water but made it through Thai tonight without any discomfort.

[
Old 05-02-2009, 04:28 AM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
I'm looking for some advice and unput about hands. I've been boxing for almost 5 years (off and on) and within the last year or so I've really focused in and feel like I'm finally getting good (got some new coaches that are technique monsters). The problem is that with getting better, I'm hitting a lot harder and am experiencing some hand fatigue and soreness. I wanted ot see if anyone has any tips for this. I typically double wrap on sparring days and single wrap on other days. Today while typing I noticed that my right index knuckle is pretty sore.
You never responded to my ?....Anyways.. I strongly advise to stop double wrapping. Be sure when wrapping to have your hands relaxed. Many people have myths and legends on wrapping its plain n simple..I recommend using longer wraps personally.If the pain continues get it checked out could be calcium deposits very common amongest boxers. You also might want to try doing routine ergonomics for your wrists and hands...