Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 05-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Blmfighter

Default Trying again

I'm tried of being the Fat guy at work, home, gym and every where else. I have been tring to lose weight for years. I had lost about 20 pounds and on time. Now I really feel that I'm going to die if I don't lose weight. I have 3 little girls and a wife that I need to be here for. I do a good job watching what I eat for a while and then it is a free for all and I eat more food the ever.

I stepped on the scale last night for the first time in a month and it says that I weigh fat ass. This is the biggest i have ever been. Well today I will be changing that.

I will start to walk over my lunch time and then eat at my desk. I also will watch what I eat very closely.

I have been running for the last ten weeks and training. In the last ten weeks i went from only being able to run 30 seconds to running 40 minutes. Tomorrow I run the final day of the program which is a 4.37 mile race out at Lake Bloomington. The lake Run Club puts this race on every year and they think they will have 1300 people there this year. I will let everyone know how I do. I goal is just to run the whole thing without walking at all. I do run slow so I plan on doing it in less then 1:15. This is why I'm not sure why i have gained weight.

I'm looking to start lifting weights for an hour a day while also doing 2 hours of cardio a day. It will be an hour of weights and an hour of cardio in the morning and then another hour of cardio at night.

Does anyone have a good weight program that I could do? I don't mind buying a book or anything if I need to.

I had a gym helping me with my weight program however it took like 15 minutes and I never felt like i was getting much out of it.

Thanks guys!

I will
Old 05-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Miss Foxy

Go easy on yourself. You might not be physically happy with yourself right now, but your a good guy and care for your family enough to make a change!! I think your plan sounds awesome. Remember what Matt recommends about cutting your portions you eat by 30%.. I don't believe in all these crazy fanatical diets. I think common sense, reducing your food intake, and exercise will help. Remember to not get discouraged you can do it and it will take time. Even if your not slim n trim right away your body and heart will definitely be thankful for your hard work!!
Old 05-01-2009, 03:03 PM
xSubmission

Maybe you have replaced some fat with muscle..
So you havent seen a significant weight change. Keep working hard and dont give into temptation
Old 05-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Blmfighter

Thanks for your kind words! I'm going to try to eat good food and leave all the crap on the table. I will work hard at this and I will win this fight. I'm thinking about keeping a journal about this and see how it goes. For me to keep this and win I need to have a goal weight to get to and have a goal target.

I need to tell myself that I need to weigh XXX by XXX so I can XXX.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blmfighter
Thanks for your kind words! I'm going to try to eat good food and leave all the crap on the table. I will work hard at this and I will win this fight. I'm thinking about keeping a journal about this and see how it goes. For me to keep this and win I need to have a goal weight to get to and have a goal target.

I need to tell myself that I need to weigh XXX by XXX so I can XXX.
Most successful people have goals! So your off to a good start!
Old 05-01-2009, 03:53 PM
gymcoach97

First off, you need to focus on high-intensity cardio versus LSD (long, slow duration). Although I was taught back in my undergraduate education that it's as simple as "calories in v. calories out," it's not. The problem lies in the fact that the body becomes more efficient and although you're burning more total calories, you're not burning as much fat.

Furthermore, in many cases, all of that running is stripping off good, lean muscle tissue because only the liver can provide the glycogen (glucose - sugar) stores for the brain and nerve cells. So, when those supplies run out, the body goes after the lean muscle tissue and converts it into glucose in the liver through a process called the Cori cycle if memory serves correct.

Here's the abstract for a landmark piece of research to support the idea of training with high-intensity versus traditional steady-state cardio.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8028502

This is why you don't see muscular marathoners, but you do see very muscular sprinters. How much long, slow running do sprinters do? And, yet most of them are ripped.

Now, you need to start off easy with the high-intensity cardio. Use a 1:3 or 1:4 work-to-rest ratio. So, if you go 15 seconds hard, then take a 45 or 60 second rest. The modes that I prefer is a treadmill or sprints, but the Schwinn Airdyne works great as well. You need to find a relative intensity that works for you. Set the speed at maybe 5-8 and crank the inclination up to 10-15% and perform 6-10 rounds of this. On the surface, it does not seem like much, but trust me, you will be exhausted if your intensity is high enough. Just be careful not to over-do it. The best way to determine your work to rest ratio is really through a heart rate monitor so that you can truly evaluate your necessary rest by determining when your HR reaches the appropriate recovery level.

Eventually, that work-to-rest ratio goes down to say a 1:2 and eventually a 1:1 and if you really get yourself into great shape, even a negative work-to-rest ratio (2:1) - so, like 30s of work and only 15s rest, etc.

What I'm providing is very arbitrary. If you want to purchase a heart rate monitor from the sporting goods store (they're relatively inexpensive these days 50-150.00 retail, I believe), I can give you a more scientific approach.

What I do is start the treadmill, jump on and run, and then use the handles and jump off to the side during my rest intervals while the treadmill just continues to run. Then I jump back on when I'm ready to start again.

Another option for "cardio" is pushing a sled or some other fun, high intensity exercise if you have access. This is a little more fun than doing traditional treadmill running or cycling. Honestly, as long as you're working your ass off, you can do just about anything. Just make sure it's logical and safe and protective of your body!

As for the weight training, you need to do big lifts (bench, squat, deadlift, push-ups, pull-ups, etc.) that are multi-joint and will work the entire body. Don't do that isolated BS unless you just want to at the end for fun if you have time. Make your time count. I recommend super-setting and minimizing your rest in between. Here's a great article from Mike Robertson covering all of this.

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/...olic+Training/

Weight training is critical because lean tissue is more metabolically active than any other tissue. So, instead of two hours on the cardio, focus more on metabolic training and lifting as Mike suggests in this article. More does not always = better!

There are a lot of other things that would be good to do in terms of an active warm-up with dynamic flexibility/mobility exercises as well as working on soft-tissue quality through foam rolling. This is just for general health and well-being.

From a dietary standpoint, I'd recommend reading stuff by John Berardi or even investing in his program:

www.precisionnutrition.com

Also, Mike Roussell has a good program:

www.nakednutrition.com

And, Mike Roussell has teamed with Alwyn Cosgrove and put together their program called Warp Speed Fat Loss

www.warpspeedfatloss.com

The diet alone from this program will shed some pounds off of you from what I've heard.

My disclaimer is that I've not actually seen any of these programs myself, but I've read articles from these folks, their blogs, etc. and what they are promoting makes physiological sense. I have read a couple of Berardi's books, however - The Metabolism Advantage and Scrawny to Brawny.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:07 PM
mikthehick

Arron,

I know this is going to seem nuts, but I just finished reading John Basedow's book, the Power to Change your life. Granted he's probably just a figure who stepped out of the 80s and is really creepy, but really, all he did was put together the tried and true diet plans out there and came up with that book.

What I got out of it was...

1) cardio when you can, esp in the morning if you can get up
2) write down EVERYTHING you eat. I started this week, and it really helps me keep my calories in check
3) portion control
4) 1 gallon of water per day (work up to this is you can't do a whole gallon at first)
5) don't take more than 2 supplements at time, 90% of supplements out there are crap

There isn't any magic weight loss pill or anything like that. It's all crap. Just eating less than we are used to will help us lose weight. Just remember that it took time to gain the weight and it will take time to lose it. Same with me, as I was about 20 pounds over weight. It doesn't look like it, but I was.

One more thing that was really great was he mentioned during a cookie/sweet/salty craving, take 1/4 to 1/2 of the portion. Eat it slowly and see when the craving goes away. This week, I've been eating 3-5 bites of something then throwing it out. I'm finially figuring out that I 'dont' need the entire huge portion. And yes, I have begun to crave water and veggies and fruit, how weird is that??!!

yet another one more thing...haha, well this is good math. To lose the weight, take your weight (x) and multiply it times 10 and this equals your target calories for the day. When you reach your goal, take your weight, and multiply that time 12, and this is your recommended maintenance. I'm goign to try to write down everything I eat for the time being, since this plan seems to make sense. I'm also not going to weigh myself for a month to see if this works.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:15 PM
County Mike

I get sweet cravings and chewing gum really does help. It's usually after I eat a meal so I know it's caused by hunger. It's just the sweetness that I want. Try the gum if you're in that boat.

Also, one simple thing to understand:
Cardio workouts typically burn more calories than lifting DURING the workout.
However, lifting (building muscle) will help your body burn more calories while AT REST. That's why building muscle is so important for fat loss. Muscular bodies have higher metabolism.

Eat small meals more often if possible. You need protein and some carbs for energy to workout.

The simplest solution is burn more calories than you ingest. Do lifting AND cardio workouts. Drink lots of water. Eat lean proteins and avoid the junk food.

Best of luck to you. I look forward to reading about your progress.

It's late in the season now, but the show "Biggest Loser" really does give a lot of good diet and workout tips. It's amazing how much those people change in a short time.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Blmfighter

I love the Biggest Loser, I watch it every week.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Blmfighter

maybe if I lose the 100 pounds that i want to lose then I can get something really cool.