Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 05-01-2009, 01:16 PM
mikthehick

Default Tearing up muscles to rebuild

So, I have a simple/complex biology question for yall. On Wednesday, Joe Mallory our boxing coach, had us do the Duck Walk, then frog leaps, while continuously holding the 12 # medicine balls.

At the time, it felt fine, but the next morning was rough and now I can barely walk or go down stairs. I can deal with pain fine, but is it ok to be so sore TWO days later?

Musta really really torn up the quads!
Old 05-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikthehick
So, I have a simple/complex biology question for yall. On Wednesday, Joe Mallory our boxing coach, had us do the Duck Walk, then frog leaps, while continuously holding the 12 # medicine balls.

At the time, it felt fine, but the next morning was rough and now I can barely walk or go down stairs. I can deal with pain fine, but is it ok to be so sore TWO days later?

Yes pumpkin its normal.. I know it hurts ouch ouch!! Just do some light stretching and don't take it too easy where you get stiff..Oh goodness that hurts..Good workout btw!
Old 05-01-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:

Totally normal. especially with leg muscles. I've had soreness for up to three days.

[
Old 05-01-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

It's called DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness - http://www.frsa.com/doms.html

Typically occurs from high volume reps, and especially if you haven't trained in a long time. Take vitamin c several times a day as it will help repair the tissue, sleeping long hours helps as well. The only other thing is time. EDIT - drink lots of water as it's directly responsible for nutrient transport.

Next time, be sure to get a nice long stretch before and after training.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:38 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
Totally normal. especially with leg muscles. I've had soreness for up to three days.
Came to say the same thing. Enjoy the pain. It means you're getting stronger. Make sure you're getting plenty of protein for the muscle rebuilding.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:48 PM
gymcoach97

Quite honestly, the goal of strength training should not be to "tear up muscle," but rather to "fatigue" muscles to obtain an adaptation. If you're tearing up your muscles, then you're losing valuable protein and contractile elements. In other words, you're just breaking down your body.

What was his rationale for doing duck walks with medicine balls and frog jumps?

Herein lies the problem with a boxing coach taking folks through strength/conditioning. They just assume that if they make you do something intense and strenuous that it is good. They neglect the fact that this is hard on your joints and if you are sore two days after, that's an even bigger problem. Sure, you might feel it a little, but it should be a "good" soreness, not to the point that you can barely walk down your stairs.

You're still pretty much a "newbie" to this training aren't you? It takes a while to build the connective tissue strength and to be able to handle high-intensity plyometrics especially when loaded!! Some people even suggest that you need to be able to squat your own body weight before engaging in plyometrics. I'm not sure that I totally agree with that completely, but it's "food" for thought nonetheless.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:49 PM
xSubmission

Quote:

OHHH GOTTA LOVE THE BURN!
Its your friend
Old 05-01-2009, 03:22 PM
mikthehick

You guys have a lot of good things to say, and thanks

Gymcoach, new to boxing yes, new to MMA (sorta), and new to kickboxing, no. I've been doing kickboxing on and off for 8 years now, but the strength and conditioning using medicine balls is pretty new to me now.

I'm used to moderate intensity cardio to build endurance for high intensity polo chuckkers that last 7 minutes. So for that, x 4, you've got a 30 minute polo game and that was my sport in college. I also stayed in shape with kickboxing and swimming.

I've been running since college to stay in shape, hiking when I can, then found this MMA gym a year ago and joined. I've always had really big quads for my bone structure since starting horseback riding as a kid.

In my opinion, high-intensity plyometrics with a weight is awesome! He did say to everyone to take it easy for a day and take a hot bath. Since I don't own a bathtub, that is really hard. I did stretch before and after class, but could have stretched a lil longer rather than being in a rush. I don't really like stretching because it's boring, but I will do it more often knowing how sore I can get! I haven't been this sore in a long time, but it's good. It's not like the type of bad pain at all. I think once we get in shape as a group, there wont' be any stopping us during the duck walks!
Old 05-01-2009, 04:11 PM

Stretching is so important. I used ot hate it until I got into Muay Thai and realized that if I strewtched correctly it was actually helping me get stronger, faster, etc.
I've found that bananas have a great source of potassium and are great for muscle recovery.
Gymcoach is right on with all that info.

[
Old 05-01-2009, 04:53 PM
xSubmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
Stretching is so important. I used ot hate it until I got into Muay Thai and realized that if I strewtched correctly it was actually helping me get stronger, faster, etc.
I've found that bananas have a great source of potassium and are great for muscle recovery.
Gymcoach is right on with all that info.
I used to get cramps in my feet while i was rolling. My instructor told me to start eating bananas.
I eat a few every week now and no more cramps!
This is a true testimony