Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 04-30-2009, 01:50 AM
xSubmission

Default FOR ALL YOU GRAPPLERS~!

I have a match comming up and i know who im facing. My opponents guard is really really solid. Even though i dont think he can submit me from it i am going to attempt to avoid it all together.
Since we are starting from standing (not from knees like many BJJ places) there are many options i have.
The question is what works for you from standing? I am not looking to pull guard on him.
I was thinking takedown setup's but i really dont want to be in his guard.
Arm drag, Shuck, The russian, Duck Under...These are all options i have.
I am wondering if anyone has a similar grappling style to mine and can give me some advice. Please PM me for a more indepth discussion if you can help. (this is not a question for all you long legged guard pullers) >:O
Old 04-30-2009, 02:54 AM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSubmission
I have a match comming up and i know who im facing. My opponents guard is really really solid. Even though i dont think he can submit me from it i am going to attempt to avoid it all together.
Since we are starting from standing (not from knees like many BJJ places) there are many options i have.
The question is what works for you from standing? I am not looking to pull guard on him.
I was thinking takedown setup's but i really dont want to be in his guard.
Arm drag, Shuck, The russian, Duck Under...These are all options i have.
I am wondering if anyone has a similar grappling style to mine and can give me some advice. Please PM me for a more indepth discussion if you can help. (this is not a question for all you long legged guard pullers) >:O
If I where you...

I would take him down like normal and who cares if I end up in his guard. Just break the guard and stand up. You'll get your points for the takedown and if he lays down you can use your wrestling to get passed the knee's and passed his game all together. It's easier to pass the guard when your standing then when your laying down especially if your not a real technical jitz player.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:07 AM
xSubmission

I got some pretty technical jitz..I train at a gracie academy so they pound it into my head.
Takedown is probably my best bet. Since this guy is mostly likley going to jump guard on me. But this guard is really really funky he does all the Eddie Bravo rubber guard.
Once i am on top i can imagine ill give him a hard time as soon as i get my submission combinations going.
I have also been thinking about a tie up with him. And try a setup from there. Maybe i can take his back from standing via Marcelo Garcia
Old 04-30-2009, 10:52 AM
County Mike

Where in the world do grappling competitions start on the knees? Never heard such a thing, except in practice because of limited mat space.

You should flop into his open guard and feed one arm in while keep the other arm out. When you wake up you'll feel like it was all just a bad dream.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSubmission
I got some pretty technical jitz..I train at a gracie academy so they pound it into my head.
Takedown is probably my best bet. Since this guy is mostly likley going to jump guard on me. But this guard is really really funky he does all the Eddie Bravo rubber guard.
Once i am on top i can imagine ill give him a hard time as soon as i get my submission combinations going.
I have also been thinking about a tie up with him. And try a setup from there. Maybe i can take his back from standing via Marcelo Garcia
I wouldn't overthink it. It's not hard to break out of rubberguard. Don't put your hand on the mat and frame on his face until you make enough space to power out or do the baseball choke.

IS this a gi or no gi match?

When you take him own just stand up and move back. Attack his guard from standing and you pretty much take away his entire rubberguard game.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Krupp

Could you possibly try for a headlock or a hip-toss?
Old 04-30-2009, 04:54 PM
logrus

If you KNOW he can't submit you from his guard then whats the issue?
Old 05-01-2009, 02:28 AM
xSubmission

With some help from Jason i think im gonna go for a single leg to a hip dump
Old 05-01-2009, 02:54 AM
County Mike

Who is Jason?
Old 05-01-2009, 03:09 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
Who is Jason?
O, you didn't hear? xSub trains at Jason Mraz's school.