Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 04-29-2009, 07:41 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
You don't have any?
nah, we are pansy's here in canada ... where do you think the underground railroad lead to? where did all the vietnam draft dodgers go .. LOL ...
Old 04-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
nice .. so slavery is okay'd by the bible ... gotta go get me some slaves now ....
Actually, slavery was just a fact of life back in those days. It wasn't considered "immoral" until around the 18th or 19th century. However, if you look at what slavery actually was back in those days, then you can see that it really wasn't any worse than what minimum wage labor is today.

A person who works over 40 hours a week and barely makes enough money to pay all of his bills every month while still being able to afford food, is really nothing more than a slave to his job. In biblical times, slave masters were required to provide food and a home for their slaves. So, in reality, they were getting paid with 'room and board' not with money. Which is more than what some employers pay, since many people have to take multiple jobs just to survive these days.

Slavery didn't become a race issue until Darwin published Origin of Species.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:52 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy
I am like in the worst mood ever Dave and your bird avatar makes me laugh everytime!! And your dry sense of humor!!
You mean Jens the Budgie Do you know it was a complete spontaneous happening that picture? I was chasing Jens with a towel to try and get him back into the cage after his hour out (yes he has a full hour every day now) and he didnt wanna play ball...the Cross is a gift from my Parents that they bought back from Italy, and I stuck it onto the computer.

By fluke, Jens landed ontop of it (it was during Holy Week) So whilst he was catching his breath, I took a few snaps.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:02 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
You mean Jens the Budgie Do you know it was a complete spontaneous happening that picture? I was chasing Jens with a towel to try and get him back into the cage after his hour out (yes he has a full hour every day now) and he didnt wanna play ball...the Cross is a gift from my Parents that they bought back from Italy, and I stuck it onto the computer.

By fluke, Jens landed ontop of it (it was during Holy Week) So whilst he was catching his breath, I took a few snaps.
Oh goodness how funny and what a cute story!! He's holy Jens!!
Old 04-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Actually, slavery was just a fact of life back in those days. It wasn't considered "immoral" until around the 18th or 19th century. However, if you look at what slavery actually was back in those days, then you can see that it really wasn't any worse than what minimum wage labor is today.

A person who works over 40 hours a week and barely makes enough money to pay all of his bills every month while still being able to afford food, is really nothing more than a slave to his job. In biblical times, slave masters were required to provide food and a home for their slaves. So, in reality, they were getting paid with 'room and board' not with money. Which is more than what some employers pay, since many people have to take multiple jobs just to survive these days.

Nathan I like your posts they always make sense to me.. Other times when everyone is debating I get lost! Lol.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:

thats what I said

...and Miss Foxy...please note...I said it first
Old 04-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy
Oh goodness how funny and what a cute story!! He's holy Jens!!
Saint Jens
Old 04-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
Saint Jens
LOL!! Yes so no more Jens the budgie garbage its now... St.Jens or Santo Jens!! Love it!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:

Hmmmmmm, I am not so sure about that.

I am trying to find the reference but i think Pope Gregory VII wrote to Archbishop Lanfranc in the 11th century asking him to look into slavery and its trafficking in Ireland. Lanfranc then wrote to the Irish church and Kings about it.

Can't pull to much stuff on it at the moment but it is my understanding that Western christendom whilst nto overly bothered by pagan/infidel slavery, they were against enslaving Christians. So in that sense it was seen as immoral.

Whatever way the slave trade was prolific all the way through the Middle Ages from Africa and Scandianavia. It made a lot of money!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:10 PM

I would also add that living standards and enviroments of slavery/serfdom etc was somewhat worse than living standards of today.

People fight and die for the notion of liberty, so even if you work every hour under the sun, you still have freedom, something America fought for.

I'm not sure its a good comparison.

What is it to be poor today, not to have a mobile phone or T.V?!!!!!!!!