Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 03-05-2010, 02:23 AM
mscomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
Of course you would say that because you are a part of the system. I sat through 7 days of Congressional testimony and they proved beyond any doubt they do in fact have a link. SO much so that many vaccines are no being required to be made w/o mercury and insurance companies are required to pay for mercury free vaccines. The studies do not lie only the drug companies and those indebted to them do.

Most of the noise around vaccines come from people who have NO scientific training, and think they have some valid oppinion. Like the with jenny macarthy...shes just using the platform she got from showing her breasts in a magazine, yet people flock to hear what she has to say, as if she knows anything.

Why did they take the mercury out? Well let me ask you, do you even know how the mercury is involved in a vaccine. It is through a compound called Thiomersal. Thiomersal has been around for decades, and has been used in every kind of vaccine, do we all have autism? Plus, how much mercury do you think is in your average piece of fish that you are eating? or tuna sandwhich? Ill give you a hint, A LOT LESS. Go research it, if you dont beleive me. So why did mercury get pulled out? because conspiracy theorists and the media eat this stuff up, and makes GREAT headlines and in turn, MONEY!!!!!. In order to stop a public outcry, pharma companies cave in. Its the same thing with the VIOXX scandal some time back (i can give people a whole bunch of info on that).

Since I am in the bioscience field, i have never read a REAL research paper showing a link between austim and vaccines. The only ones that I know of have been discredited or retracted by the scientists themselves. Like this one, http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/02...ism/index.html. It was this paper that really started the whole controversy. AND IT HAS BEEN RETRACTED. The biggest stat I think I have ever seen was 3 vaccinated children in 10,000 have autism 'symptoms'! You call that a link?

Ill give anyone who wants a link to a paper (you'll see more on the sides) showing NO causal realtionship between vaccines and autism

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17168158

Now chris F, is NOT totally off. As someone who has had alot of direct contact with reasearch staff from PHARMA companies.....YES they do pull ALOT OF CRAP with you, no doubt about it. But they do alot of good things to.

Vaccines and immunization in my oppinion are the greatest achievement in medicine so far. Just sit down and really think what diseases have been virtually erradicated, or are of no real threat anymore beacuse of them. Measles, rubella, smallpox, mumps, rabies, HPV etc etc.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:24 AM

Good post, MSCOMC! I agree. There is a lot of disinformation out there. Keep up the good fight.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERStettin View Post
Any studies on how soluble those are? I used to work at Nutrition World back in the early 80's during my college years and the big con about those solid vitamins was you would pass them before they were completely absored.

Everyone wanted the powder or liquid but you couldn't get the bigger concentrations in tablet form that your body could use prior to it passing.
Did you read the study in the original post? Your answer is in that document.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMaria View Post
Can anyone recommend a good multi-vitamin that won't make me sick to my stomach?

I have tried taking them with food, with milk, with milk AND food and all the ones that I have tried have made my stomach upset.
My stepmother always had problems with that as well. I got the womne's multi by Mountain Naturals of Vermont for my wife. My stepmom started taking those as well and doesn't have any problems. They are very affordable and are the highest-rated women's multivitamin in the study. Here's their website:

http://www.mountainnaturals.com/for_...in_supplement/
Old 03-07-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
The Healthpak 100 is like the super pack, its 12 pills a day.
You can get the "normal" Usana Multi Vitimin for much cheaper.
I've been taking the USANA Essentials for about a year, can definitely say that I've had better results in the gym and it'd be safe to say I contribute a portion of it to them since my diet is the same and I'm leaner and gaining more strength than in previous years.

I still have some left but recently purchased some Source Naturals Life Force Multiple because it is FAR cheaper and was only about 2% lower than the USANA Essentials in the study.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/source/life.html

Looks like they also have a Men's only formula, but it wasn't in the study:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/source/men.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC View Post
Anyone have any idea where the best place is to oder higher-quality vitamins?

A poster's earlier comment about havving problems digesting some higher quality vitamins has me wondering how common an issue that is, and if something cna be done to solve the problem (crushing them perhaps?)

By the way, I guess I'm the one that brought the thread back from the dead...sorry if I broke protocol. Should I have started a new one?
Are you talking about vitamins in general or specific multi-vitamins? The majority of the regular vitamins and minerals can be purchased at normal stores such as Wal-Mart, CostCo, Vitamin Shoppe, Vitamin World, etc. and they are just as good as any others. I used to think it mattered until I subscribed to the studies on ConsumerLabs.com. The 4 places listed above had all vitamins/minerals tested and found the claims of dosage and potency on the bottles to be true. Multi-vitamins are an exception though.

That statement about digesting is somewhat true. The multis from the test that yield the highest percentages are going to digest and be extremely bioavailable to you. Some of the crap multis such as One-A-Day and Centrum do not fully digest and are only 5% or less bioavailable to you - you are literally pissing/crapping away money by purchasing those. Crushing them will increase the surface area, thus, making it easier to digest; however, if you're not using a high quality multi, it doesn't matter because they are not going to be used by your body.