Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 04-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default what does this mean

Niether shalt thou go up by steps unto mine altar, that thy nakedness be not discovered thereon

Exodus 20.26

I get the bit about the altar not being of soft stone which can be marked by accident...but I dont understand the sentance afterwards...the altar shouldnt have steps to it because....of what....how does going up steps show nakedness, and approaching an altar on the flat, not...
Old 04-28-2009, 06:38 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn

Niether shalt thou go up by steps unto mine altar, that thy nakedness be not discovered thereon

Exodus 20.26

I get the bit about the altar not being of soft stone which can be marked by accident...but I dont understand the sentance afterwards...the altar shouldnt have steps to it because....of what....how does going up steps show nakedness, and approaching an altar on the flat, not...
Men were robes in that time & God wanted them to guard against the chance someone accidentally catching a glimpse. Ritual nakedness was very common in those times & God was once again setting his people apart from the rest of the world.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Men were robes in that time & God wanted them to guard against the chance someone accidentally catching a glimpse. Ritual nakedness was very common in those times & God was once again setting his people apart from the rest of the world.
He thinks of everything doesnt he!

Ben...where I come from, Men still do where Robes in the Church. Most people are dressed beneith their Robes...but not all of them. Thankfully being in doors unless they actually trip up, or a button pops at an inoppotune moment, noone would ever find out.

Course now our Robes are also better made and fitted, even if outside, with due care and attention (and without being in a gale) one would probably be alright. I have to say there is more chance of tripping going up the stairs in robes, because you have to lift them to stop yourself treading on the ends and tripping yourself up.

That happened to me on more then one occasion

We also (this was before my time) had the case of Canon Halliburton, who dispite being extremely old and extremely frail, wouldnt celebrate on anything but the High Altar...mounted, of course with Steps...

Down he came with the cibourium full of Jesus Gingerly approaching the rail he distributed the Host. Being quite old, his eyesight wasnt good, and being that I assume it was a rather large gathering, Canon Halliburton took the rest of the consecrated Host back up the steps to the Altar

The tragidy struck...Poor Canon Halliburton tripped...and the ciboruim flew up into the air....Jesus...Everywhere....they were picking him up for WEEKS

I shouldnt laugh...its so not funny, not funny at all...and yet...strangely hilarious...I wish I'd been around to see it.

The worst thing I saw was also at a Communion. During the Distribution of the Host under the Dome at a MAJOR Eucharist on the Sunday Morning. We had four Stations, and of course noone was on the Dais.

The Processional Cross decided, to jump out of its holster, which was behind the Altar and crash into the Quire.

Could have heard a pin drop. Noone knew what to do... The Cross had the ball smushed in, and was kinda wonkey after that...if I remember rightly, Moses went into the service with ten Commandments...but only came out of the service with 5...I'm not quite sure where the little tablet he was holding (along with his arm) dissapeared to

But thats not the worst. They infact turned the Cross Stand round so IF the Cross decided to make a bid for freedom, it would fall into the Quire and not onto the Altar...since that happened before...unforunately during the Eucharistic prayer...and it was an enamal cross.

The Cross shattered on impact and little fragments of it were thrown all over the Altar...again, Thank GOD, slightly before my time.

Mark might like to know, that the person Celebrating was a Woman.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

While I think about it. The other funny story I heard centred around Evensong. The Great West Doors, the Largest Church Doors in Europe (yes bigger then Rome!) needs a team of about 5 masons to open it. Its secured into the ground with a massive bolt

anyway, over weeks it obviously had not been shut properly and the bolt slowly lifted.

One day as the Quire sat down to Evensong, the Choral Responses began

"O Lord, Open thou our Lips..." and with a slight whooost, the Great West Doors began to open all on their own. It was as If GOD himself were trying to get into the building

Obviously there was a panic to try and shut the doors....and presumably keep GOD out