Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Stump Rules!

Default Florian believes Sherk Took Him To Next Level

Friday, April 24, 2009 - by Damon Martin - MMAWeekly.com

Big fight experience seems to make all the difference in the world when it comes to competing for a title in the UFC. When Kenny Florian steps into his fight against B.J. Penn on Aug. 8, he will draw upon his last chance to compete for the lightweight title to help him prepare, while having the knowledge that he can go five rounds with the very best in the world.

Talking to MMAWeekly Radio, Florian said that despite losing to Sean Sherk in 2006 during his first opportunity to wrestle the 155-pound title away from the champion, he knows that fight was what brought him to this point.

"That fight, it helped me for the last six fights, tremendously," he said. "But I guess if there's one thing for this specific fight that's going to help me, it's knowing I can go five (five-minute rounds)."

In the fight with Sherk, Florian battled one of the toughest cardio machines in the entire sport of mixed martial arts, and that experience will only help him as he heads into camp for his second shot at the lightweight gold.

"I did five rounds with Sean Sherk at a pretty good pace and I wasn't doing any strength and conditioning back then. I really felt like I could have done another three hard ones if I needed to," commented Florian. "Now I feel like I just got a new engine and a new gas tank."

Following the fight against Sherk, he ramped up his training, added a strength and conditioning coach, a new nutrition plan, and the results have been astounding. Florian has won his last six fights in a row, with five finishes coming by way of submission or TKO.

"I feel like I can do five ten-times harder rounds and a lot more output, a lot stronger, a lot smarter, a lot more experience, and a completely different fighter skill wise too," Florian stated.

At the end of the day, he understands that the loss to Sherk was a learning experience, and he knows what it did for his future in the UFC's lightweight division.

"That was just a tremendous fight for me for my career for me to take it to the next level," he said in closing.

The next level will take Florian to Philadelphia on Aug. 8 to challenge UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn in the main event of UFC 101.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=8611&zoneid=2

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 04-24-2009, 07:09 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

WAR KEN-FLO!
Old 04-24-2009, 07:12 PM
Crisco

I would love to see Kenny win just to see the look on BJ Penn fans.

But If BJ comes to bang and his mind is right no one will beat him at 155.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:12 PM
Miss Foxy

WAR PENN!!
Old 04-24-2009, 09:27 PM
xSubmission

Are you serious??
The muscle Shark wiped the floor with Florian. He could do nothing to stop his onslaught. But i can understand. Getting your ass beat can sometimes make you better
Old 04-24-2009, 09:29 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSubmission
Are you serious??
The muscle Shark wiped the floor with Florian. He could do nothing to stop his onslaught. But i can understand. Getting your ass beat can sometimes make you better
That's the point Florian's trying to make. Sherk showed him a major whole in his game (strength/conditioning). Now that he's had that experience, he feels like he's stepped his game up. I agree. The difference noticeable.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:50 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Kenny, you do realize Sherk tore his rotator cuff in that fight?
Old 04-25-2009, 04:35 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

There's no doubt, Sherk schooled him bigtime and that's exactly what some guys need. Kenny's a machine now. I wonder how he would do against Sherk now. I still say war Sherk, but it's Kenny's shot at BJ, so WAR KENNY!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

we're about to have the answer to the never-ending question "who killed Kenny" arent we

I'd love for Kenny to win...just so that Baby Jay can finally be laid to rest....but I...we are talking about Penn here...

GODSPEED Mr Florian