Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 04-25-2009, 02:40 AM
Hughes fanboy

Smile Fedor is a Christian!

Found this on another forum http://www.christianforums.com/t7284789/

I saw that cross around his neck all the time and had to look it up.

New Fedor Interview from his official website: Федор Емельяненко. Официальный сайт

It was posted in Russian. I couldn't find a translation anywhere else, so I'm posting my translation here:

Note: This was translated by stripthesoul at Sherdog.

------------------------
As it usually happens, after another victory or an achieving some major results, Russian athletes gather an enormous interest from the press. Fedor Emelianenko in this case, is not an exception. As soon as he crossed the ocean he was bombarded with offers for interviews, to shoot some special programs, etc. Finally, once the frenzy was over, we had an opportunity to ask the champion a few questions that have built up.

Q: Fedor; you have fought your first fight, this year, on your new contract. It was one of the shortest time records in your deserving list. Did you expect such quick victory over Tim Sylvia?

- A: I never expect when the fight should be over, and can never predict in advance. Of course, you want it to be over as soon as possible, but I always prepare myself for a long and exhausting fight.

Q: Athlete's entrance to the ring traditionally is accompanied by music. This time, it was a total surprise for the viewers, when suddenly, an old Cossack proverb "Son Stepana Razina", better known as a national folk song "Oy, to ne vecher", started playing. What reason was there for this choice, and who sang this song on the recording?

- A: This was my choice; I very much like this song. In my life quest God crossed my paths with an amazing man - Protodeacon of Nizhniy Novgorod's archdiocese - father Andrey. When I heard this song done during his prayer, I asked him to record it for me, and he agreed.

Q: After the fight there was a zoomed in shot of your trainer Vladimir Voronov, put a cross on your body. It appeared not too long ago. Are you a man of faith?

- A: Yes, I'm a man of faith, and from not too long ago my life has changed, I will try to live by God's commandments...

Q: A first step of becoming a church going person, is usually taken after some kind of distress: heavy disease, loss of a close person, other tragic events... What was the reason for you to make that decision?

- A: After I met father Andrey, all my doubts disappeared... After spending some time near this man, I understood, that this is the only right way; and through Father Andrey, God led me to people, who helped me realize, how I lived and how I should be living in the future.

Q: One of the unfortunate disappointments that happened in your last fight, was your injury: broken finger, which you already had surgery on, more than a year ago. According to international norms, after such injury you can talk about coming back, no earlier than half a year. Does that mean that you will not be competing anymore in 2008?

- A: To tell you the truth, I don't feel strong pain. My hand is healing; let's hope that everything will come together. But my next event is planned for November: in St. Petersburg there will be a World Championship in Combat Sambo.

Q: You don't plan to take part in "Affliction 2" in October?
- A: I would like to compete at Affliction 2, but so far I'm not sure if that will happen.

Q: In the past Affliction event, your brother Aleksander was suppose to compete. What was the reason they would not let him in the ring? Many are afraid, that a similar situation will repeat during next event.
- A: I cannot comment in any way on this situation. Aleksander really was removed from competing because of some blood analyses. So I cannot really say anything.

Q: Last couple of years you don't train with your brother; he moved to live in St. Petersburg, and your training are mainly held in Stary Oskol. Are there any plans to restart joint training sessions?
- A: It is more convenient and better for me to train in Stary Oskol, but this does not sit well with Aleksander at all. As far as I understood from his latest interviews, he likes it in St. Petersburg, and he's not planning to leave it for any training sessions.

Q: A big support group has flown with you to America. How important is that for you?
- A: It is important for me, of course, when close people are near; those who always support me, worry and pray about me. It's sad that not everyone got a chance to come, but despite that, it was nice to see the guys who are rooting for me in the arena.

Q: Do you have any plans to fly to Beijing, to support Russian athletes?
- A: Unfortunately, my plans are turning out in such way, that I will not be able to go to Beijing. Although I want to.

Q: In the number of organizers of the Affliction event - is world renowned manufacturer of styled clothing, done in gothic style. Even you came out in an Affliction T-Shirt. Do you prefer such "brave" style of clothing?
- A: I prefer more of a simple style. Although, I do like Affliction style of clothing very much, it's convenient, comfortable. All the symbols of the Orthodox Church were present on my shirt, so I decided to wear it when coming out to the ring.

Q: In one of the recent interviews you talked about a project "Fighting Fedor"; were the participant casted already? When will it start?
- A: This question is for Vadim Finkelstein - he takes care of this project. I don't know any exact dates.

Q: What are your upcoming plans?
- A: I'm flying to America right now to take part in a press conference. Also we have negotiations with the Affliction firm.
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord. Thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." (Jeremiah 29:11)
Old 04-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Fedor is a member of The Russian Orthodox Church.

He probably celebrates Easter and Christmas at slightly different times, and his church will look like High Church Romanism, but without the Latin, less statues, but more big banners that they like to parade with. His Churches will be extremely decorative and probably quite wealthy. His Cross may look slightly different to our, it may have up to three horizontal bars (the smaller one at the top is supposed to be the name tag at the crucifixtion, the smaller one at the bottom is the foot rest) and it might or might not be angled at a slight diagonal.

The Orthodox Church uses its own monograms...so he wont represent Jesus by the letter "IHS" or "INRI"

Now the Orthodox Church use slightly different symbology.

There monogram is actually a symbol. Draw a circle, in the circle draw a cross, then draw a P ontop of the cross. its called Chi-Rho or he might use the symbol of the fish (Ikthus) there is a funny bunch of OXC letters the greeks use I think in place of INRI...but I aint really up on Orthodox symbology
Old 04-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Krupp

I think the question is what does Fedor really believe about Christ, though? If he believes in Christ as his savior and God then that's wonderful. I'm not trying to doubt him or anything, but the word "God" gets thrown around a lot these days...
Old 04-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Crisco

It seems he gives more credit to this priest then he does to God.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
It seems he gives more credit to this priest then he does to God.
He's orthodox, if its more easy, think of him as a Roman Catholic...he isnt...but the basis of what they do and how they do it, are almost the same.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
He's orthodox, if its more easy, think of him as a Roman Catholic...he isnt...but the basis of what they do and how they do it, are almost the same.
Yea and they both bother me just the same.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Yea and they both bother me just the same.
oooookay
Old 04-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Crisco

Quote:
oooookay
I was in a catholic church not to long ago. MY girlfriends family is catholic and I go to make them happy on holidays and such and he went on for a half about Mary... He spoke more about Mary then he did about Christ.

I was at a catholic church for my cousins wedding about a year ago and before the priest Married them he had them walk up to a statue of Mary bow to and then put flowers in front of it. I was infuriated I almost had to leave.

All the ceremony and non-biblical teaching upsets me quite a bit.

As for the Orthodoxy, Fedor's willingness to thank his priest seventeen times and to barely make reference at all to his relationship with Christ is upsetting and yet again shows flaw in his thinking (atleast in my opinion).
Old 04-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
I was in a catholic church not to long ago. MY girlfriends family is catholic and I go to make them happy on holidays and such and he went on for a half about Mary... He spoke more about Mary then he did about Christ.

I was at a catholic church for my cousins wedding about a year ago and before the priest Married them he had them walk up to a statue of Mary bow to and then put flowers in front of it. I was infuriated I almost had to leave.

All the ceremony and non-biblical teaching upsets me quite a bit.

As for the Orthodoxy, Fedor's willingness to thank his priest seventeen times and to barely make reference at all to his relationship with Christ is upsetting and yet again shows flaw in his thinking (atleast in my opinion).
Yes, they do go on about Mary to much.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:02 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Yes, they do go on about Mary to much.
]

It's gone beyond paying respect they have it narrowed to damn near idolatry.