Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

View Poll Results: Pacquaio vs. Hatton, who wins and how?
PacMan by KO 6 40.00%
Hatton by KO 0 0%
PacMan by TKO 4 26.67%
Hatton by TKO 3 20.00%
PacMan by Decision 1 6.67%
Hatton by Decision 1 6.67%
Draw 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 05-04-2009, 03:18 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy
LOL!! Ok im a good loser when need be! hehe!! Sounds good just hit me up and go a lil easy on me with the sig por favor! Im begging I had to go against Manny its a Mexican thing sorry just like Dave with the French!
I figured it had to be that. Manny's the Mexicutioner of this era of boxing, that's for sure. The guy's incredible. I definitely share Dave's opinion on the French
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 05-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
I figured it had to be that. Manny's the Mexicutioner of this era of boxing, that's for sure. The guy's incredible. I definitely share Dave's opinion on the French
LOl thats a good one Mexicutioner! Chavez's sons Omar & Julio Jr are doing good so hopefully in the next few years we will see some good boxing from one of em! I can't go for a Piñoy or Puerto Rican. I would be a traitor! However Camacho is one of my all-time favorite fighters.. Shhh our secret!
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 05-04-2009, 04:08 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
I expected a domination by Pac throughout the entire fight, but not by round 2, that's nuts! Mosley next, after that, Mayweather, if he has the guts. I agree with Roach when he said, "I think he's [Mayweather] scared of Manny." Makes sense, Mayweather's ducked Mosley his whole career because he knows Mosley would knock him out.

Anyways, Melissa, I'm busy for the first few days this week, but I'll get something prepared for you
If he has the guts? Why do you think he came back to boxing? Really, I know Manny looks good right now, but if people think Floyd is going to be a push-over then they are sadly mistaken or they just started watching the sport. Also, don't start that crap about ducking Mosley or Cotto. Mosley is an admitted steroid user and he is ducking Paul Williams himself, so I got no love for him anyway.

Floyd is not stupid, Cotto and Mosley are naturally bigger fighters who could give him problems, so he is only going to take the fight if it is worth it to him. Mosley and Cotto do not have the star power to guarantee PBF the money he is worth for the fight, so it's not worth it for him to take either of those fights at this time when there are bigger fights on the table. It's not fair to say Floyd is really ducking either of those fighters, because he did give Arum an offer to fight Cotto, but Arum laughed at the number PBF wanted. When one of those fights are the one that makes the most sense, then you will see Floyd fight. He is not a coward, and he had admitted that he's not afraid of the prospect of someone eventually shutting him up. He is just confident that it ain't gonna happen.

Still, Freddie Roach is crazy if he thinks Manny should fight Cotto or Mosley right now, because Manny could lose and then he would lose a lot of power at the bargaining table with Floyd. The truth is, the fight that pays the most is ALWAYS the one that makes the most sense when you are talking about fighting top ranked competition. People get killed in this sport, and that's why it so important to ensure yourself the most money you possibly can, because you could walk into that ring and never leave the same again or even worse, end up dead.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 05-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
If he has the guts? Why do you think he came back to boxing? Really, I know Manny looks good right now, but if people think Floyd is going to be a push-over then they are sadly mistaken or they just started watching the sport. Also, don't start that crap about ducking Mosley or Cotto. Mosley is an admitted steroid user and he is ducking Paul Williams himself, so I got no love for him anyway.

Floyd is not stupid, Cotto and Mosley are naturally bigger fighters who could give him problems, so he is only going to take the fight if it is worth it to him. Mosley and Cotto do not have the star power to guarantee PBF the money he is worth for the fight, so it's not worth it for him to take either of those fights at this time when there are bigger fights on the table. It's not fair to say Floyd is really ducking either of those fighters, because he did give Arum an offer to fight Cotto, but Arum laughed at the number PBF wanted. When one of those fights are the one that makes the most sense, then you will see Floyd fight. He is not a coward, and he had admitted that he's not afraid of the prospect of someone eventually shutting him up. He is just confident that it ain't gonna happen.

Still, Freddie Roach is crazy if he thinks Manny should fight Cotto or Mosley right now, because Manny could lose and then he would lose a lot of power at the bargaining table with Floyd. The truth is, the fight that pays the most is ALWAYS the one that makes the most sense when you are talking about fighting top ranked competition. People get killed in this sport, and that's why it so important to ensure yourself the most money you possibly can, because you could walk into that ring and never leave the same again or even worse, end up dead.
Finally someone who knows whats up boxing wise!! You tell it bro!!
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 05-04-2009, 07:20 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy
Finally someone who knows whats up boxing wise!! You tell it bro!!
Damn right!
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 05-05-2009, 03:30 AM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
If he has the guts? Why do you think he came back to boxing? Really, I know Manny looks good right now, but if people think Floyd is going to be a push-over then they are sadly mistaken or they just started watching the sport. Also, don't start that crap about ducking Mosley or Cotto. Mosley is an admitted steroid user and he is ducking Paul Williams himself, so I got no love for him anyway.

Floyd is not stupid, Cotto and Mosley are naturally bigger fighters who could give him problems, so he is only going to take the fight if it is worth it to him. Mosley and Cotto do not have the star power to guarantee PBF the money he is worth for the fight, so it's not worth it for him to take either of those fights at this time when there are bigger fights on the table. It's not fair to say Floyd is really ducking either of those fighters, because he did give Arum an offer to fight Cotto, but Arum laughed at the number PBF wanted. When one of those fights are the one that makes the most sense, then you will see Floyd fight. He is not a coward, and he had admitted that he's not afraid of the prospect of someone eventually shutting him up. He is just confident that it ain't gonna happen.

Still, Freddie Roach is crazy if he thinks Manny should fight Cotto or Mosley right now, because Manny could lose and then he would lose a lot of power at the bargaining table with Floyd. The truth is, the fight that pays the most is ALWAYS the one that makes the most sense when you are talking about fighting top ranked competition. People get killed in this sport, and that's why it so important to ensure yourself the most money you possibly can, because you could walk into that ring and never leave the same again or even worse, end up dead.
Forget money, throw that stuff right out the window. I'm not talking about money, I'm talking about who's the best and who actually wants to prove their the best, not just talk about it (PBF).

He came back to boxing because he owes the IRS 6.5 million dollars. He says it's to prove he's the best of all-time, but that's BS IMO.

Say whatever you want. PBF is very selective about his fights. For God's sakes, he's coming back to fight Marquez. Now I'm not saying anything about Marquez, he's the man, but PBF is wanting the fight at 147 and is only willing (currently) to give 145 against a guy who fights at 135. PBF picks his fights and ducks guys he feels he can't beat. Now, that's smart in an attempt to protect the record, but he doesn't challenge himself unlike other greats like Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, and current-day Pacquaio. PBF protects his record by being selective about his fights. He talks a big game, but he won't step up when certain people issue the challenges to him.

I'm not saying Pac would roll over him like nothing, I'm saying that he has a reason to be afraid of Pac - it took Pac 20% of the time to KO Hatton in comparison to Mayweather. It'd be a great fight, and one I'm hoping would happen, as I think it'd be the biggest PPV buy of all time.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 05-05-2009, 04:40 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Forget money, throw that stuff right out the window. I'm not talking about money, I'm talking about who's the best and who actually wants to prove their the best, not just talk about it (PBF).
I don't know why you would assume that Floyd would NOT want to prove he is the best. That is ridiculous. ANY fighter that fights at this level wants to prove that, but at the same time you need to be smart about who you fight and WHEN you fight them. It is how the sport works in the modern era, deal with it. Fighting a guy like Mosley or Cotto when there is bigger money on the table against somebody else is just not how it works. It's only a superfight when everybody knows both the fighters, and when you are at a level of fighting P4P guys in multiple weight classes, you HAVE to get picky.

I don't like seeing Matt Stafford make more money than anybody in the NFL before he has even thrown a pass, but it's the way of the world.

Quote:
He came back to boxing because he owes the IRS 6.5 million dollars. He says it's to prove he's the best of all-time, but that's BS IMO.
Why thank you H+R Block, I am glad you are so privy to Floyd's tax situation. Come back when you are Wells Fargo and actually know something about his finances. The man made 8 million dollars last year and he did not fight at all. Everybody knew he would come back, and the time off probably served him some good to heal his hands. Reports I have read say he has not lost a single step in the gym, but we will see what happens July 18.

Quote:
Say whatever you want. PBF is very selective about his fights. For God's sakes, he's coming back to fight Marquez. Now I'm not saying anything about Marquez, he's the man, but PBF is wanting the fight at 147 and is only willing (currently) to give 145 against a guy who fights at 135. PBF picks his fights and ducks guys he feels he can't beat. Now, that's smart in an attempt to protect the record, but he doesn't challenge himself unlike other greats like Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, and current-day Pacquaio. PBF protects his record by being selective about his fights. He talks a big game, but he won't step up when certain people issue the challenges to him.
Say whatever YOU want!

Seriously, we all know Marquez is just a tune up fight to set-up the Pacquiao fight. He hypes Marquez as the guy who a lot of people think beat Pac-Man, then he beats him. That draws more money to the fight with Pacquiao. How can you say that he has not fought all the best fighters? Because he has yet to fight Mosley or Cotto? That is crap, they are naturally bigger guys than Floyd, and with the scope of the Boxing scene at the time Floyd was coming up, other fights made MORE sense.

Like I already said, he has fought more top competition than anybody in recent history INCLUDING Pacquiao. Don't be so sure that we DON'T end up seeing a Mayweather vs Cotto or Mayweather vs Mosley fight in the future, because it is a REAL possibility right now. Lots of things are up in the air at this point.

Also, don't act like Ali, Sugar Ray, or Pacquiao have never been selective about their fights, because that is BULL. Floyd HAS challenged himself, it's not his fault he is just that much better than the competition and he made it look easy for the most part. He beat Judah, Gatti, Hatton, DLH, Hernandez, Corrales, and Castillo. Now he is fighting Marquez, then probably Pacquiao. That is a pretty damn good list if you ask me, not to mention the other 32 other fighters who got dealt with accordingly as well. So please tell me again how Floyd has NOT challenged himself.

Quote:
I'm not saying Pac would roll over him like nothing, I'm saying that he has a reason to be afraid of Pac - it took Pac 20% of the time to KO Hatton in comparison to Mayweather. It'd be a great fight, and one I'm hoping would happen, as I think it'd be the biggest PPV buy of all time.

I do agree that Pac-Man is no joke, and I think it would be a tough fight for ANYBODY right now. However I already shot down the "It took Pac less time" theory. I could counter that argument and say Pac was only fighting guys that Mayweather beat (convincingly) when they were BETTER fighters in Hatton AND DLH. If you really think that the Hatton who fought on Saturday looked anything like the one who fought Floyd, you are crazy.

Manny does not have the technical skills that Floyd does, but he is fast and he is strong. This fight will happen, and it will be HUGE, mark my words.

Last edited by J.B.; 05-05-2009 at 06:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 05-06-2009, 01:25 AM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

This sums it up much better than I possibly can:

http://fighthype.com/pages/content4875.html (Sorry, I know it's really long, but here's my point):

Quote:
...The point I am trying to make, however, is that if Floyd Jr. truly wants the world to believe that he, not Pacquiao, is the best in his class, then why has he ducked the best fighters in his division? Mayweather Jr. could do his reputation some service by actually emulating what Pacquiao has done throughout his career: face the biggest and best names possible. Pacquiao swept the legends of his former divisions and has continued to move up to find better competition. Floyd, on the other hand, has done more talking about his greatness than actually proving himself inside the ring.

Explain to me why Floyd Jr. has yet to face the likes of Miguel Cotto, Shane Mosley, Paul "The Punisher" Williams or even Antonio Margarito? Who has Floyd Jr. really beaten? And now he expects us all to be wowed by a comeback attempt against a much smaller man in Juan Manuel Marquez? Give me a break! For whatever reason Floyd Jr. is coming back to the ring (and we all know it's about the money), it's definitely not because he's been missed. During the time he's been away from the sport, Manny Pacquiao has given fans three spectacular victories. Not only that, but attention was justly given to other premier boxers in and around Mayweather's division, including Paul Williams and Shane Mosley.
To sum it up, for PBF, it's about money, not legacy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 05-06-2009, 01:52 AM
logrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
This sums it up much better than I possibly can:

http://fighthype.com/pages/content4875.html (Sorry, I know it's really long, but here's my point):



To sum it up, for PBF, it's about money, not legacy.
Pretty much why he came back last time. I have a couple buddies who follow boxing more then I do and they said that PBF will be this eras Tyson.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 05-06-2009, 02:22 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
This sums it up much better than I possibly can:

http://fighthype.com/pages/content4875.html (Sorry, I know it's really long, but here's my point):



To sum it up, for PBF, it's about money, not legacy.
I think we are spinning our wheels on this one. You don't like Floyd, and thats fine, I get it, but don't get it twisted Floyd HAS fought the best competition. I already named the list TWICE, and there is no disputing it. Here it is a THIRD time.

Arturo Gatti
Germano Hernandez
Zab Judah
Jose Luis Castillo (twice)
Oscar De La Hoya
Ricky Hatton
Diego Corrales

That is ALL TOP QUALITY competition. No if's and's or But's about it, and a lot of the other fighters he faced were highly touted amongst boxing analysts as well. Now he is facing Marquez, another top competitor, and then he WILL fight Manny. So please explain to me how Floyd is "ducking" anybody when he is still fighting top ranked guys? Also, like I said before, he did give Bob Arum an offer to fight Miguel Cotto, and Arum turned it down.

You have no point of reference to make an assumption that the ONLY reason Floyd fights is for money. If you truly believe that, then you know nothing about him, plain and simple. The only reason you can even question his legacy at all is because of a few fighters he has not fought yet. That is ridiculous. There are a lot of reasons fighters are picky with their fights and EACH ONE IS DIFFERENT. PBF may not have declined a fight with Mosley for the same reason he did with somebody else at a certain time. If you are going to call Floyd to task on this, be ready to do it to just about every professional fighter in existence because that's how it goes.

Also Floyd has never said he WON'T fight Mosley or Cotto, or Margarito, or Williams, but those are naturally BIGGER guys. You need to be picky about when you take fights like that. Especially a guy like Williams, why do you think Mosley just said he wont fight him yet and nobody else has not fought him yet? Because the guy is a 6'1 GIANT for a welterweight and NOBODY knows who the hell he is anyway. The PPV numbers would suck, and it's a potentially bad situation for the fighter. You don't get to keep coming back from the grave very many times in Boxing when you lose, like a Rocky movie, or MMA.

Money is a catalyst for MOST things in this world and don't think Manny Pacaqiao does not think like that too. We all do. Just because Floyd's nickname IS "Money" don't think it's the MOST important thing to him. Because from all the reading I've done, and interviews I have seen, Floyd seems to care more about his family than anything else, even Boxing, and that is VERY classy in my opinion.

It's cool though, I am just glad he IS back and and fighting again. We will get a lot of answers on July 18.

Last edited by J.B.; 05-06-2009 at 02:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.