Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-22-2009, 09:52 PM
TheConcretekid
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Kyle Maynard aint no foo and don't need no pity.

23 year old, ESPN's Espy award winner, Georgia high school wrestling state qualifier, Jiu Jitsu blue belt, and congenital amputee, Kyle Maynard will make his amateur mixed martial arts debut in the great state of Alabama this weekend.

mma.fanhouse.com has an interview with Kyle which is definitely worth reading, but here is a little quote that Bloodyelbow.com thought was note worthy (and I agree) about the skill set he will bring to the fight:


Quote:
"You know, without going into too much of my game plan, I am never going to be an Ernesto Hoost-level kickboxer; I assure you of that. But one of the biggest misnomers I have seen is that people think I can't strike. I got arms that end right above my elbow and I have had an over 400-pound butterfly press. I assure you can strike (and) I can defend myself. As far as the grappling goes, I got my blue belt about two years ago and I'm training with a world champion, Paul Creighton, whose fought BJ Penn. So, as far as conditioning goes, I think I've got the upper hand. I'm fighting in a bigger weight class than I have ever competed in before, but I still feel pretty healthy. You know, in high school I wrestled at 103 (pounds) and this fight is going to be at 135. I have been able to put on the weight as efficiently as I could without losing too much speed and mobility. So, I feel confident. The cards are there for me to go out and have a pretty awesome performance ... I think that one of advantage I have is that I have got the ability to prepare for (his opponent) in any different situation and he really doesn't have a clue what I am going to bring to the fight."
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-24-2009, 03:08 PM
xSubmission
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConcretekid
23 year old, ESPN's Espy award winner, Georgia high school wrestling state qualifier, Jiu Jitsu blue belt, and congenital amputee, Kyle Maynard will make his amateur mixed martial arts debut in the great state of Alabama this weekend.

mma.fanhouse.com has an interview with Kyle which is definitely worth reading, but here is a little quote that Bloodyelbow.com thought was note worthy (and I agree) about the skill set he will bring to the fight:
Wow wrestling at 103?
Good luck to Maynard!...How is Alabamas wrestling?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Crisco
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Are they just going to put him in the cage and close the door or can he walk on whats left of his legs?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Neezar's Avatar
Neezar Neezar is offline
SupaDupaMod
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South
Posts: 6,471
Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar
Default



Bless his heart.



Why here?! Sometimes I hate Alabama!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Good luck to him. He definitely has heart..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-24-2009, 06:17 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

I commend the guy for all he has accomplished, but I can't agree with him being licensed to compete in sanctioned MMA. If the rules have to be altered for somebody to compete, then it's not even worth it IMO.

This is a pretty hot button topic right now, it will be interesting to see what happens.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-24-2009, 06:26 PM
Crisco
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

They should have him fight another dude missing arms and legs... That would be something to see.


This all sounds so mean I know I commend him for wanting to try but how the hell is he going to do it?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Jason 16
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
They should have him fight another dude missing arms and legs... That would be something to see.


This all sounds so mean I know I commend him for wanting to try but how the hell is he going to do it?
there is a couple of videos of him tooling guyes that out weigh him in bjj tournys and the stub arms of him are solid bone at the end and he does have a 400 pound butterfly press so I would hate for him to have side control on me.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Crisco
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 16
there is a couple of videos of him tooling guyes that out weigh him in bjj tournys and the stub arms of him are solid bone at the end and he does have a 400 pound butterfly press so I would hate for him to have side control on me.
Yea but how the F does he sub anyone?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Jason 16
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
Yea but how the F does he sub anyone?
in one video he gets an arm bar and a arm triangle
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.