Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 04-22-2009, 09:52 PM
TheConcretekid

Default Kyle Maynard aint no foo and don't need no pity.

23 year old, ESPN's Espy award winner, Georgia high school wrestling state qualifier, Jiu Jitsu blue belt, and congenital amputee, Kyle Maynard will make his amateur mixed martial arts debut in the great state of Alabama this weekend.

mma.fanhouse.com has an interview with Kyle which is definitely worth reading, but here is a little quote that Bloodyelbow.com thought was note worthy (and I agree) about the skill set he will bring to the fight:

Quote:
"You know, without going into too much of my game plan, I am never going to be an Ernesto Hoost-level kickboxer; I assure you of that. But one of the biggest misnomers I have seen is that people think I can't strike. I got arms that end right above my elbow and I have had an over 400-pound butterfly press. I assure you can strike (and) I can defend myself. As far as the grappling goes, I got my blue belt about two years ago and I'm training with a world champion, Paul Creighton, whose fought BJ Penn. So, as far as conditioning goes, I think I've got the upper hand. I'm fighting in a bigger weight class than I have ever competed in before, but I still feel pretty healthy. You know, in high school I wrestled at 103 (pounds) and this fight is going to be at 135. I have been able to put on the weight as efficiently as I could without losing too much speed and mobility. So, I feel confident. The cards are there for me to go out and have a pretty awesome performance ... I think that one of advantage I have is that I have got the ability to prepare for (his opponent) in any different situation and he really doesn't have a clue what I am going to bring to the fight."
Old 04-24-2009, 03:08 PM
xSubmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConcretekid
23 year old, ESPN's Espy award winner, Georgia high school wrestling state qualifier, Jiu Jitsu blue belt, and congenital amputee, Kyle Maynard will make his amateur mixed martial arts debut in the great state of Alabama this weekend.

mma.fanhouse.com has an interview with Kyle which is definitely worth reading, but here is a little quote that Bloodyelbow.com thought was note worthy (and I agree) about the skill set he will bring to the fight:
Wow wrestling at 103?
Good luck to Maynard!...How is Alabamas wrestling?
Old 04-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Crisco

Are they just going to put him in the cage and close the door or can he walk on whats left of his legs?
Old 04-24-2009, 05:46 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Bless his heart.

Why here?! Sometimes I hate Alabama!
Old 04-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Miss Foxy

Good luck to him. He definitely has heart..
Old 04-24-2009, 06:17 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

I commend the guy for all he has accomplished, but I can't agree with him being licensed to compete in sanctioned MMA. If the rules have to be altered for somebody to compete, then it's not even worth it IMO.

This is a pretty hot button topic right now, it will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:26 PM
Crisco

They should have him fight another dude missing arms and legs... That would be something to see.

This all sounds so mean I know I commend him for wanting to try but how the hell is he going to do it?
Old 04-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Jason 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
They should have him fight another dude missing arms and legs... That would be something to see.

This all sounds so mean I know I commend him for wanting to try but how the hell is he going to do it?
there is a couple of videos of him tooling guyes that out weigh him in bjj tournys and the stub arms of him are solid bone at the end and he does have a 400 pound butterfly press so I would hate for him to have side control on me.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 16
there is a couple of videos of him tooling guyes that out weigh him in bjj tournys and the stub arms of him are solid bone at the end and he does have a 400 pound butterfly press so I would hate for him to have side control on me.
Yea but how the F does he sub anyone?
Old 04-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Jason 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
Yea but how the F does he sub anyone?
in one video he gets an arm bar and a arm triangle