Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-21-2009, 07:25 PM
TDPARKASH

Default Silva's motivation

So like many, I don't think he has the drive to want to knock people out per se. I understand he is a counter striker, but as a fan, I don't see his hunger like before. Being a hugh silva fan, I personally think it has to do with his boxing request that Dana rejected. I guess nobody will ever truly know, but this is just what the gut says.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:34 PM
logrus

Maybe he figures, "Hey you ain't coming to knock my block off then why should I ". Look at his last fight vs IRvin, and then is last 2 fights. IRvin wanted to knock his lights out, and Cote and Leites didn't lol.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:46 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus
Maybe he figures, "Hey you ain't coming to knock my block off then why should I ". Look at his last fight vs IRvin, and then is last 2 fights. IRvin wanted to knock his lights out, and Cote and Leites didn't lol.
I feel like Anderson just fights to the level of his competition. He knew that Cote & Leites were jokes, so he just didn't really bother putting forth an effort. Match him up against GSP/Wandi/Maia, we'll see the old Anderson come back.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:08 AM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
I feel like Anderson just fights to the level of his competition. He knew that Cote & Leites were jokes, so he just didn't really bother putting forth an effort. Match him up against GSP/Wandi/Maia, we'll see the old Anderson come back.
Pretty much they way I tend to feel towards his last few fights. Irvin was going to bring it, Hendo tried, Franklin tried twice, Nate. Then you have Cote and Leites who didn't do anything.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:47 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus
Pretty much they way I tend to feel towards his last few fights. Irvin was going to bring it, Hendo tried, Franklin tried twice, Nate. Then you have Cote and Leites who didn't do anything.
Exactly. He doesn't feel the need to stick his neck on the line for a fight he's going to win with no effort anyway.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:52 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Exactly. He doesn't feel the need to stick his neck on the line for a fight he's going to win with no effort anyway.
So they are cans but him engaging would be putting his neck on the line?

Are saying that he feels he is above trying to actually fight them? Well, there is a champion mentality right there.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:50 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
So they are cans but him engaging would be putting his neck on the line?

Are saying that he feels he is above trying to actually fight them? Well, there is a champion mentality right there.
I'm not defending his mind-set, just trying to guess at it. Think of it like this: even sarah was able to win on wild punch. Rather than take a chance at getting hit with a lucky punch, Anderson just lets the cans be shown for what they are.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:22 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
I'm not defending his mind-set, just trying to guess at it. Think of it like this: even sarah was able to win on wild punch. Rather than take a chance at getting hit with a lucky punch, Anderson just lets the cans be shown for what they are.
God forbid if a fighter takes a chance at getting hit. Maybe that was Kalib Starnes' mind set, too.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:44 PM
TDPARKASH

Andersen was striking and taking a change at getting hit, when you do a sidekick or a front snap kick to a leg, you run the risk of getitng swept or having the kick being caught. Especially with a side kick, your not in a very good position to defend yourself once the kick is thrown from a takedown.

I can't understand why he would punch Leites's leg though, you are actually the most vulnabrle to knee strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
God forbid if a fighter takes a chance at getting hit. Maybe that was Kalib Starnes' mind set, too.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDPARKASH
Andersen was striking and taking a change at getting hit, when you do a sidekick or a front snap kick to a leg, you run the risk of getitng swept or having the kick being caught. Especially with a side kick, your not in a very good position to defend yourself once the kick is thrown from a takedown.

I can't understand why he would punch Leites's leg though, you are actually the most vulnabrle to knee strikes.
I think he was demonstrating that Leites was offering no counterstrikes. perhaps he was luring Thales into throwing some strikes so he could counter him...not sure

[