Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 04-20-2009, 05:32 PM

Default Me and the bible.......

Those who have posted on here for a while may or may not remember but i guess a year ago, i had a lot of questions, things going on and i probably approached it in the wrong way on here.

I am still trying to find myself but my issue was that i hadn't read the Bible for a while and it was hard to susbstantiate my own strong feelings etc.

Well this may be bad of me but i delayed reading the Bible even though i want to begin reading it in earnest. I am one month from graduating in History and throughout this time have felt that i have too much on to start making progress with the Bible. So i delayed, perhaps to my own detriment.

However i reasoned that at the moment i have a critical historical mindset, you know always looking for motives, bias, inaccuracy etc and i dont want to read with that mindset. My second thing is that for a while and from my earlier posts on here, i feel that im getting to a spirtitual crescendo of me deciding what i want in life.

So my plans had been to finish my last exam on the 13th of may and pick up the book on the 14th. I want to read it and understand it, i want to pour over it and study in depth that i feel finishing my exams first affords me that time. Thats always been my intention.

I guess first off i wanted to tell you all this, even if it don't matter now or whether its irrelevant so that ya'll know i was serious in what i had said about reading the bible when i said it 6 months ago.

The greatest thing is that i feel blessed and i feel a plan is fitting into place, i have the time, the mental capacity and the faith to embrace God this summer.

The way i know this has come together is because, as some may know i met my Girlfriend from Texas in September. She is a good christian, and performs many acts of charity, working with Kids (young life) and i really respect and admire the person she is. She has tremendous faith in God. The amazing thing for me is that whislt we drive around your beautiful country, im gonna be reading it and can discuss things with her and talk through my understandings etc. I just feel like God has put her there to help me with it. To help me get to the place i want to be.

i just wanted to share that with you all i guess. i then hope by the time i come back in September, i can make more contributions to this part of the forum and be able to debate (nicely) and talk about my thoughts confidently from my interpretation of the Bible.

“Can I say something to young ladies here? Ummm..I’m trying to pick my words carefully here . Ummm.. your husband whoever he is , single ladies, will have an unbelievable amount of influence over your sons and daughters in regards to spiritual things. If you want your children to love Jesus deeply, hold out for a man that is Godly. And lemme tell you this I am well aware that Godly men are rare. Lot of neat Christian boys, not a lot of Godly men and we’re working our tails off for you to try to develop some into that. But DON’T SETTLE. Because, look at me, its better that you be lonely now then you be married and lonely later. Are you trecking with me? It is better that you be lonely now then for you to get married to a man that will teach your kids everything but the way of Jesus.”
-Matt Chandler

She has that on her Facebook wall. It moved me, i know i may be inactive now but that isnt for long and i am determined to be that man for her.

Thanks and God Bless

Jon
Old 04-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion
Those who have posted on here for a while may or may not remember but i guess a year ago, i had a lot of questions, things going on and i probably approached it in the wrong way on here.

I am still trying to find myself but my issue was that i hadn't read the Bible for a while and it was hard to susbstantiate my own strong feelings etc.

Well this may be bad of me but i delayed reading the Bible even though i want to begin reading it in earnest. I am one month from graduating in History and throughout this time have felt that i have too much on to start making progress with the Bible. So i delayed, perhaps to my own detriment.

However i reasoned that at the moment i have a critical historical mindset, you know always looking for motives, bias, inaccuracy etc and i dont want to read with that mindset. My second thing is that for a while and from my earlier posts on here, i feel that im getting to a spirtitual crescendo of me deciding what i want in life.

So my plans had been to finish my last exam on the 13th of may and pick up the book on the 14th. I want to read it and understand it, i want to pour over it and study in depth that i feel finishing my exams first affords me that time. Thats always been my intention.

I guess first off i wanted to tell you all this, even if it don't matter now or whether its irrelevant so that ya'll know i was serious in what i had said about reading the bible when i said it 6 months ago.

The greatest thing is that i feel blessed and i feel a plan is fitting into place, i have the time, the mental capacity and the faith to embrace God this summer.

The way i know this has come together is because, as some may know i met my Girlfriend from Texas in September. She is a good christian, and performs many acts of charity, working with Kids (young life) and i really respect and admire the person she is. She has tremendous faith in God. The amazing thing for me is that whislt we drive around your beautiful country, im gonna be reading it and can discuss things with her and talk through my understandings etc. I just feel like God has put her there to help me with it. To help me get to the place i want to be.

i just wanted to share that with you all i guess. i then hope by the time i come back in September, i can make more contributions to this part of the forum and be able to debate (nicely) and talk about my thoughts confidently from my interpretation of the Bible.

“Can I say something to young ladies here? Ummm..I’m trying to pick my words carefully here . Ummm.. your husband whoever he is , single ladies, will have an unbelievable amount of influence over your sons and daughters in regards to spiritual things. If you want your children to love Jesus deeply, hold out for a man that is Godly. And lemme tell you this I am well aware that Godly men are rare. Lot of neat Christian boys, not a lot of Godly men and we’re working our tails off for you to try to develop some into that. But DON’T SETTLE. Because, look at me, its better that you be lonely now then you be married and lonely later. Are you trecking with me? It is better that you be lonely now then for you to get married to a man that will teach your kids everything but the way of Jesus.”
-Matt Chandler

She has that on her Facebook wall. It moved me, i know i may be inactive now but that isnt for long and i am determined to be that man for her.

Thanks and God Bless

Jon
1. Congratulations.

2. Why would you ever look at history in the way you described? I have my MA in history and if nothing it has helped my bible reading. However the bible is not a history text so one must be careful. It has a variety of literary styles in it and each must be investigated accordingly. You can;t read prose the same way you read wisdom literature. It will not make sense. However being critical is still vital. What the text says at face value is influenced by it context. Example, when you read a primary source in history sometimes there a pages missing or paragraphs to worn etc. You then must construct the context to understand the author. Same is true with the bible. SO I think you will enjoy your bible reading but what i encourage is to read it for study as well as for devotions. Devotions should be a time of reflection and not critical observation.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:

-Matt Chandler

Thanks and God Bless

Jon
Thank You for sharing... This hits too close to home for me.. I needed to see that..
Old 04-20-2009, 06:51 PM
CAVEMAN

I'll be praying that the Spirit of God and the Word of God will have its perfect work in your heart!
Old 04-20-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Villaseñor
Thank You for sharing... This hits too close to home for me.. I needed to see that..

Yeah it got me when i read it too! Certainly makes you think!

Any news on L.A?
Old 04-20-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEMAN
I'll be praying that the Spirit of God and the Word of God will have its perfect work in your heart!
Cheers my man! Appreciate it.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F
1. Congratulations.

2. Why would you ever look at history in the way you described? I have my MA in history and if nothing it has helped my bible reading. However the bible is not a history text so one must be careful. It has a variety of literary styles in it and each must be investigated accordingly. You can;t read prose the same way you read wisdom literature. It will not make sense. However being critical is still vital. What the text says at face value is influenced by it context. Example, when you read a primary source in history sometimes there a pages missing or paragraphs to worn etc. You then must construct the context to understand the author. Same is true with the bible. SO I think you will enjoy your bible reading but what i encourage is to read it for study as well as for devotions. Devotions should be a time of reflection and not critical observation.

Thanks Chris, yeah i hear you. I wish to study it and analyse but also read and enjoy. I just want to devote my whole mind to it whereas at the moment i am surrounded by other books for my exams!
Old 04-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Thanks Chris, yeah i hear you. I wish to study it and analyse but also read and enjoy. I just want to devote my whole mind to it whereas at the moment i am surrounded by other books for my exams!
I know how you feel. For the two years I was in grad school I was expected to read a 400+ page boog a week and then discuss it in class and that was your grade. No test just a ton of reading and talking. SO needless to say I did not get much bible reading done in that time. Just my daily devotionals. Keep at it, it will get better.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:28 AM
Hughes fanboy

I pray every day God works in the hearts of the people of my country. From all reports I hear His influence over them is growing by the day and they are coming back to Him.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:30 AM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Yeah it got me when i read it too! Certainly makes you think!

Any news on L.A?
Thats on my to do list promise.. Tomorrow I will send you some info for sure.. I go in early and will prioritize my tasks...