Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-22-2009, 12:43 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
Sport or spectacle
By Greg Savage (greg@sherdog.com)

I have this internal debate just about every day: Is MMA a sport or is it purely entertainment?

Now I donít want to hear the copout about it being a combination of the two; all sports are a form of entertainment. What I am getting at is the way they are run.

In traditional sports, premier athletes command the top billing as well as the top dollar. The best teams and individuals, no matter how they get the job done, are heralded as the best. While they may not be as popular as the ďmore excitingĒ players in their sports, their ability is recognized.

Enter mixed martial arts, a sport where you can win again and again and still not get a crack at the title because of how you win. This ridiculous fact seems to be lost on the fans as much as the promoters.

My favorite fighters growing up were Tommy Hearns and Pernell Whitaker. If that is not a paradox, I donít know what is. Hearns was the go-for-broke puncher who delivered his share of knockouts and memorable fights. Whitaker, on the other hand, was like a ghost in the ring, nearly unhittable.

In my opinion, there is room for both kinds of fighters in todayís MMA. Unfortunately, I donít think many fans, or fighters for that matter, share that opinion.

Being raised playing and watching traditional sports, I just canít fathom a world where pitching and defense, goaltending, the running game and shot blocking are looked down upon.

I would be lying if I said I didnít have some serious misgivings about the direction of MMA, not so much because of where it is being steered but instead over whom it appeals to. The ugly reality is that this is a product for consumption, and the people lining up to consume would much rather watch home run derby than a perfect game.
Great Article, Savage is right on the money here.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:54 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

So, what have we learned here? That Anderson Silva is a one trick pony?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:04 AM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
No not at all. He is one of only 3 men to submit Dan Henderson. How is he a one trick pony?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:12 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Hardly.. just fighting not to lose...
Old 04-22-2009, 10:48 AM
SupaDupaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker
Hardly.. just trying not to lose...
Fixed.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:02 AM
SupaDupaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
Sport or spectacle
By Greg Savage (greg@sherdog.com)

I have this internal debate just about every day: Is MMA a sport or is it purely entertainment?

Now I donít want to hear the copout about it being a combination of the two; all sports are a form of entertainment. What I am getting at is the way they are run.

In traditional sports, premier athletes command the top billing as well as the top dollar. The best teams and individuals, no matter how they get the job done, are heralded as the best. While they may not be as popular as the ďmore excitingĒ players in their sports, their ability is recognized.

Enter mixed martial arts, a sport where you can win again and again and still not get a crack at the title because of how you win. This ridiculous fact seems to be lost on the fans as much as the promoters.

My favorite fighters growing up were Tommy Hearns and Pernell Whitaker. If that is not a paradox, I donít know what is. Hearns was the go-for-broke puncher who delivered his share of knockouts and memorable fights. Whitaker, on the other hand, was like a ghost in the ring, nearly unhittable.

In my opinion, there is room for both kinds of fighters in todayís MMA. Unfortunately, I donít think many fans, or fighters for that matter, share that opinion.

Being raised playing and watching traditional sports, I just canít fathom a world where pitching and defense, goaltending, the running game and shot blocking are looked down upon.

I would be lying if I said I didnít have some serious misgivings about the direction of MMA, not so much because of where it is being steered but instead over whom it appeals to. The ugly reality is that this is a product for consumption, and the people lining up to consume would much rather watch home run derby than a perfect game.
I can't say that I disagree with this guy about some of the fans. However, this doesn't apply here. We didn't watch a home run derby nor a perfect game. We watched people who were afraid (or chose not) to play.

I watched a no-hitter one time and thought it was one of the best games ever, but my pitcher was pitching. My friend thought it was the most boring game EVER. So I understand about fan appreciation. Appreciation of technique is NOT the basic complaint of those who feel disappointed with Silva. Some people just refuse to accept that and keep repeating the layout of this style.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
In my opinion, there is room for both kinds of fighters in todayís MMA. .
I aggree...just make sure the perfect ones are right at the bottom of an untelevised card
Old 04-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
We didn't watch a home run derby nor a perfect game. We watched people who were afraid (or chose not) to play.

I watched a no-hitter one time and thought it was one of the best games ever, but my pitcher was pitching. My friend thought it was the most boring game EVER. So I understand about fan appreciation. Appreciation of technique is NOT the basic complaint of those who feel disappointed with Silva. Some people just refuse to accept that and keep repeating the layout of this style.
Indeed.

No one is saying the Silva is crap. No one is saying the Silva is stupid. No one is saying the Silva isnt wellrounded.

What we are saying is that Silva didnt show that in his performance against Thales, either because he was skeeeerd in which case regardless of whether he is a coward...it makes him look weak and frightened. OR he did it deliberately in which case he conned everyone out of cash.

He looked Crap...even though we know he isnt
he looked stupid...even though we know he isnt
he looked like he didnt know much technique...but we know he does.

THATS our complaint
Old 04-22-2009, 07:22 PM

Anderson showed technique, he showed how elusive he is.

He showed that in every aspect he was better than Thales, he was the better striker, Thales at any sign of a flurry crumpled to the floor and tried to entice the ground game.

Only a idiot would of played that.

Anderson did come into his card and beat him there at one point, he also survived with Thales on top.

He was better everywhere. As said before Thales and Cote are just not threats no matter how the UFC amps them up.

The gripe i have is that Anderson had the chance to be more aggressive, im sure he could of finished it, im sure he could of done more.

Let Joe Sylva earn his corn!

Why was he obsessed with the knee kicks?

Thats what gets my goat is that i know he could of done more but i also blame Thales.

However lets be clear, Anderson is no fraud, he is no coward, the UFC needs to match his fights better.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion
the UFC needs to match his fights better.
I'm really sick of Fighters and fans who just say "it was a bad matchup"

A well rounded fighter has no bad match-up he can compete anywhere, and a Fighter FIGHTS, there is no need to be ellusive if your opponent it not a threat.