Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #241  
Old 04-19-2009, 11:50 PM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Villaseņor
I find it simply amazing that Anderson Silva supporters are acting like its no big deal "oh Leites is lucky Anderson did not kill him in the ring!" LMAO.. Are you kidding me? Whether or not Leites went on his back to either get Anderson to the ground to go at some JJ or to avoid him Anderson had a choice to do something about it. The fact that he just stood there and kicked him a few times isnt *hit in my books....Whatever the reason is that was not a fight.
He *did* have a few snappy new dance moves...



I agree, he could have done a lot more.
Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 04-19-2009, 11:55 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo
He *did* have a few snappy new dance moves...



I agree, he could have done a lot more.
A TANGO would have been nice!
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 04-20-2009, 12:23 AM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,994
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake

1)Sure, we have seen him do better, and seen him do worse also. What is your point? Every fighter has gone out there and had less than stellar performances, even in victory.

2)So what if he walked away, what was there to say anyway? No matter what people are just going to be as critical as possible.

3) What do you expect for your money? A brutal KO everytime?

4) How can you honestly say that Silva was not trying? Because he did not follow the strategy you would want him to? He owned Leites, end of story. The problem was the matchup, not Silva.

5) If you don't want to watch Silva fight don't do it, but it's still not fair to claim that he is at

6)fault when Leites just kept dropping on the ground.

7)Silva wanted to stand up and bang, and people are usually whining and crying when fights are on the ground.

8) Now Silva is the bad guy for picking him apart with stand up? That is ridiculous.
1) My point is, I take offense when a champion doesnt perform to the best of his ability. The point is, he could have KO'd Thales and didnt bother trying.

2) its Rude, its rude enough the guy bearly tries to learn to speak English, let alone the fact he'll try to flounce off because the crowd upset him. For p4p greatest he sure seems to suffer FAR to much from what people think, and fear of where his opponent might take him

3) I've told you what I wanted for my money. Why dont you read what I put before rather then asking me the same question over again! I wanted to see a well rounded fighter attack and take out the competition. I dont mind if he tried and failed, I dont mind if he tried and got caught...I think he would have tried and succeeded

I think its appauling he didnt bother trying

4) He didnt "own" anybody. He didnt even dominate. THAT is my problem, and dont blame it on styles. He has to learn to be wellrounded, he has to learn to fight ANYWHERE...refusing to go to ground with a fighter out of fear, has nothing to do with styles, its to do with the fact he wont fight on the ground with anyone who might get him in some trouble.

5) I probably wont waste my time watching him live now, no. I'll watch him in my own time. I'll watch him so that I can comment.

6) I blame them both. Unlike people who decide to blame it on on the challenger. Where were you when Tim Sylvia was on the throne

7) no, Silva didnt want to "stand and bang" he had the opportunity to do that, and he spent most of the time dancing, a few flashy punches, and a few leg kicks. He didnt want to go to the ground, he didnt want to punch first...seems like the majority of fighters are more wellrounded then him. Most counterstrikers CAN strike first, and most strikers CAN survive on the ground....Silva of course refuses to do either.

8) Silva could have finished it. He SHOULD have finished it. Picking him apart wasnt good enough when he wasnt doing ANYTHING else. ONE bloody clinch would have ended it all.

I dislike those who throw away their potential. I wouldnt have wasted the potential if GOD had blessed me with those tallents. You should do everything to the best of your ability. He fell so short of that mark. You should do everything you do as if you were doing it for GOD, no matter what your job is. The good thing about life is no matter what you do, you always have the option to do it to the best of your ability, with maximum effort. He's a Roman Catholic, he should have no problems understanding that. Would GOD have approved of his holding back his tallent and gifts, to steal a win for himself at no personal expense. I hope the win was worth it for him....
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 04-20-2009, 12:25 AM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

After that performance, here are my following P4P rankings

1. GSP
2. Fedor
3. A. Silva
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 04-20-2009, 01:45 AM
kevint13
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

So Big Tim avoids getting hit and fights not to lose and he gets bashed everywhere, but Silva does basically the same and he is somehow methodical? To me it is the same, just trying to hold onto the belt.

I don't care that there was no KO or submission, but he never once even attempted to finish the fight. He had Thales turtled up in round 5 and was hitting him with some great shots, then he gets up.

And the fact that he thinks it is great that he showed he can go 5 rounds....he basically did 25 min of light sparring.
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 04-20-2009, 02:06 AM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

I think what has gotten so many people ticked off is that Anderson DID fight not to lose.. but IMO.. his "not to lose" was a lot better than Big Tim's.

Silva wasn't trying to win, once he found that Leites had nothing for him.
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 04-20-2009, 02:27 AM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,994
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker
but IMO.. his "not to lose" was a lot better than Big Tim's.
.
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 04-20-2009, 02:33 AM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker
I think what has gotten so many people ticked off is that Anderson DID fight not to lose.. but IMO.. his "not to lose" was a lot better than Big Tim's.

Silva wasn't trying to win, once he found that Leites had nothing for him.
I just know that I'm going to seriously think twice before wasting 25 minutes of my life watching an Anderson Silva fight again. I'm definitely never going to pay money to watch one of his fights.

He's boring and fighting "not to lose," instead of putting it all on the line and actually taking a risk, is terrible for the sport and will drive fans away faster than anything else.

The UFC conspired to get rid of Tim Sylvia because his fights were lackluster, he's hoping they do the same with Anderson Silva.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 04-20-2009, 02:38 AM
timmyja
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

especially when the advertisements keep billing him as "pound for pound" best.. I'm kinda glad I didn't stay up for this one.. started a new job seven days a wk n don't get home til nine at night WAY too tired... Especially added to the fact that chuck was brutalized
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 04-20-2009, 02:46 AM
que
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Villaseņor
I find it simply amazing that Anderson Silva supporters are acting like its no big deal "oh Leites is lucky Anderson did not kill him in the ring!" LMAO.. Are you kidding me? Whether or not Leites went on his back to either get Anderson to the ground to go at some JJ or to avoid him Anderson had a choice to do something about it. The fact that he just stood there and kicked him a few times isnt *hit in my books....Whatever the reason is that was not a fight.
i totally disagree.

MANY great fighters choose to stand up when another good BJJ practitioner falls to his back like a baby. fedor has done it many many times. crocop. wanderlei. chuck liddell. sakuraba. rich franklin. dan henderson. i could go on and on and on. they all had a chance to do something about it but they all chose the same thing anderson chose last night - to stand it up and to not play into their opponents strengths. there is nothing wrong with that and in fact it's the smart thing to do.

Last edited by que; 04-20-2009 at 02:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.