Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Stump Rules!

Default Silva has eye on 205

On the eve of a possible record-breaking win streak against a heavy underdog, talk of Anderson Silva’s next move is already in the air.

He’s a big enough middleweight to make the jump up to light heavyweight – he’ll probably walk into the Octagon tomorrow at around 200 pounds – but equally important, Georges St. Pierre is big enough to make the jump to middleweight.

Flanked by two of the light heavyweight division’s biggest stars at the pre-fight press conference for UFC 97 – Chuck Liddell and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua – it was clear Silva had options, both big for the UFC.

“The experience fighting at 205 was a good experience for us,” Silva said via translator Ed Soares. “It’s in our plan to fight more at 205 pounds.”

UFC president Dana White offered little resistance to the idea, provided the champ was victorious against Thales Leites on Saturday, and St. Pierre got past Thiago Alves at UFC 100.

“That’s the way this guy built his career, terrorizing me all the time: ‘I want to fight, I want to fight,’” White said. “Nobody can call me and tell me they want to fight too much. They want to fight; I’ll let them fight. If they want to take some time off, I’ll give them time off. If he wants to fight at 205; I love it.”

White mused about a December superfight between Georges St. Pierre in Toronto, a market he expects to open by year’s end.

“Maybe we could do that,” he said. “I’d like to do it. We’ll see what happens.”

Silva took the speculation in stride and said he would terrorize wherever needed.

“It doesn’t bother me too much,” he said. “I’m pretty focused, and I’m focused on this fight with Thales. As far as Georges St. Pierre, that problem I’m sure is going to get dealt with a little bit later.”

Silva’s teammate, Lyoto Machida, is due for a shot at light heavyweight gold next month against Rashad Evans. The bout has yet to be put under the microscope by most pundits, but if Machida’s recent performances have been any clue, he’s got a good chance against the tough Evans.

While a Machida victory would put the 205-pounds divisional belt off-limits, there would still be plenty division left for Silva to ransack.

“It’s not a focus to have both belts,” he said. “I feel that belt is Lyoto Machida’s. He just hasn’t had the opportunity to fight for the belt yet. But who knows? If he isn’t able to get the belt in his next fight, maybe I’ll come up and get it for him.”

If that wasn’t the case, the men next to him at the press conference, Chuck Liddell and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, could provide a challenge.

“Definitely,” he said. “I look at these guys as opponents in the future.”

First on the list is fellow Brazilian Leites, the last hurdle to beating Royce Gracie and Jon Fitch for most consecutive UFC wins and Matt Hughes for most title defenses.

Silva says it’ll be just another day at the office.

“I’m looking forward to just going and doing my job.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=8599&zoneid=2

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 04-18-2009, 04:30 PM
lc87

With all this talk of jumping weight and all just have a tourny
Old 04-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Straight Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc87
With all this talk of jumping weight and all just have a tourny

Man, I'd love to have a super card, Pride-style tournement at 205. How cool would that be?
Old 04-18-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Right
Man, I'd love to have a super card, Pride-style tournement at 205. How cool would that be?
I would love that actually!

[
Old 04-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Would be nice to see a one night tourney... but alot of guys would end up hurt... hurt more than a 1 fight every three months deal...

talk to the various athletic commissions... as I understand it, they are the major forces behind no tournies..
Old 04-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Straight Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker
Would be nice to see a one night tourney... but alot of guys would end up hurt... hurt more than a 1 fight every three months deal...

talk to the various athletic commissions... as I understand it, they are the major forces behind no tournies..
I hear you about the injuries, still would be cool. Sadly there are a bunch of fighters who barely fight 2 times a year let alone in one night. Oh well. A tournement is more of a fantasy, but they could still break it up over several cards, then there wouldn't be this seemingly random rankings and putting match-ups together. I'd love to see a big March-Madness-style bracket and see them fight through it.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:22 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Right
i think this would be huge .. and if the UFC went to japan to hold this it would be HUUUUUUUUUUUGE ... i would fly over just to see in in the Saitama Super dome or whatever it is called