Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-20-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
I think Alves is going to be a lot of trouble for GSP. I don't think anyone should be scheduling any Silva GSP fights until he survives Alves.
No doubt. You can be sure GSP isn't looking past Alves. That guy's a freaking beast!
Old 04-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
not anymore trouble then jon fitch was ... gsp beat alves up for the whole fight however long it goes ..
I don't think that's a fair comparison. Fitch is a strong wrestler, Alves is a Muay Thai wrecking machine (to steal Dana's words). I keep saying this over & over, but no one seems to listen: this is the first time in 6 years/16 fights that GSP will face a non-grappler. Look at his record:

BJ - jits
Fitch - wrestler
sarah - jits
Matt - wrestler
Kos - wrestler
sarah - jits
Matt - wrestler
BJ - jits
Sherk - wrestler
Trigg - wrestler
Mayhem - wrestler
Strasser - jits
Matt - wrestler
Heiron - wrestler
Karo - judo
Spratt - stiker
Denny - wrestler
Galbraith - ???
Bruckman - judo
Menjivar - wrestler

Of his 20 fights, at least 18 of them have been against guys whose game has been based on the ground. With Thiago, he's going to face someone who outclasses him standing & is at least as strong in his takedown defense against Matt as GSP was. This will by no means be a breeze through for GSP.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
I don't think that's a fair comparison. Fitch is a strong wrestler, Alves is a Muay Thai wrecking machine (to steal Dana's words). I keep saying this over & over, but no one seems to listen: this is the first time in 6 years/16 fights that GSP will face a non-grappler. Look at his record:

BJ - jits
Fitch - wrestler
sarah - jits
Matt - wrestler
Kos - wrestler
sarah - jits
Matt - wrestler
BJ - jits
Sherk - wrestler
Trigg - wrestler
Mayhem - wrestler
Strasser - jits
Matt - wrestler
Heiron - wrestler
Karo - judo
Spratt - stiker
Denny - wrestler
Galbraith - ???
Bruckman - judo
Menjivar - wrestler

Of his 20 fights, at least 18 of them have been against guys whose game has been based on the ground. With Thiago, he's going to face someone who outclasses him standing & is at least as strong in his takedown defense against Matt as GSP was. This will by no means be a breeze through for GSP.
Everyone has overlooked the most important point of all.

Will Thiago Alves even make weight

Old 04-20-2009, 07:54 PM
CAVEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc Nasty
Feel free to elaborate my friend!
GSP has good of stand up skills as Silva. However, I believe GSP would use his striking enough to secure takedowns.

But to say that if the fight stays on its feet that GSP does not stand a chance is not accurate. Yes, I believe Silva would hold an advantage, but GSP could pose some problems to him.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:56 PM
CAVEMAN

Alves will be a tuff match up for GSP, but I still think GSP will out work him.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:02 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan

BJ - jits
Fitch - wrestler
sarah - jits
Matt - wrestler
Kos - wrestler
sarah - jits
Matt - wrestler
BJ - jits
Sherk - wrestler
Trigg - wrestler
Mayhem - wrestler
Strasser - jits
Matt - wrestler
Heiron - wrestler
Karo - judo
Spratt - stiker
Denny - wrestler
Galbraith - ???
Bruckman - judo
Menjivar - wrestler

which will make it easier for gsp to take him down ... kos couldn't take him down cuz a) he was afraid of getting caught and b) his strikes aren't timed well enough to set-up his takedowns .. GSP is the best takedown artist in the game, he will have alves on his back and keep him there within the first minute .. if gsp could take down all these guys above and keep them there, why can't he do it to alves?
Old 04-21-2009, 12:22 AM
Buc Nasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEMAN
GSP has good of stand up skills as Silva. However, I believe GSP would use his striking enough to secure takedowns.

But to say that if the fight stays on its feet that GSP does not stand a chance is not accurate. Yes, I believe Silva would hold an advantage, but GSP could pose some problems to him.
GSP's stand up is not as good as Silva's IMO. If GSP can get the takedowns then yes he can cause problems but thats the point I was making, if. If it stays standing Anderson will finish him. As VCU pointed out, GSP is not exactly proven against strikers and Anderson is not too bad in that department.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:04 PM
CAVEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc Nasty
GSP's stand up is not as good as Silva's IMO. If GSP can get the takedowns then yes he can cause problems but thats the point I was making, if. If it stays standing Anderson will finish him. As VCU pointed out, GSP is not exactly proven against strikers and Anderson is not too bad in that department.
I agree, but you said Anderson would destroy GSP on his feet & I don't think that is entirely true. GSP has great leg kicks and a very accurate jab. Does he have KO power? Well, that remains to be seen. However, I do not believe it would be a "walk in the park" for Anderson if the fight stayed standing.

To be honest, I don't think we'll ever see this fight any way.....I don't know.....gut feeling!
Old 04-21-2009, 11:13 PM
Buc Nasty

I know what you mean, I think GSP beats Alves but I'm not so sure about Anderson unless his next fight is at 185.

I think his last two opponents have fought to last the distance rather than win but if the rumors I've heard are true and Anderson's next fight is at 205, the weight gain before cutting down below 185 could be cause for concern if this 'superfight' is at a catchweight. He has been criticised since the Irvin fight at 205 so maybe cutting weight has affected him but not been considered a factor.

Last edited by Buc Nasty; 04-21-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:26 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

I think it depends on which one shows up.