Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 04-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
If this country ever got to the point where Texas would choose to leave you better believe it is BAD!

In that event I would move to Texas and fight to defend American freedom somewhere the real America can still exist.
Texan actually

It wouldnt be America.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
Texan actually

It wouldnt be America.
It would be what was left of real America is what I ment by what I said.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
It would be what was left of real America is what I ment by what I said.
until the next State gained independance.

Trust me...if Texas ever leaves...the rest will slowly follow.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:49 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
until the next State gained independance.

Trust me...if Texas ever leaves...the rest will slowly follow.
Yeah, if TX leaves, then a lot of the South will follow. It'd be like the Civil War all over again.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:59 AM
Crisco

except this time the south would actually be in the right
Old 04-22-2009, 04:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
While obviously slavery was bad, I wouldn't say that the South was completely wrong. In fact, many leaders in the South were preparing for the abolition of slavery long before the war. It was considered just a matter of time. What really set the process back was Darwin's book The Origin of Species. After that was published, there was suddenly a scientific endorsement of slavery and racism and that destroyed much of the progress that the Abolitionists had made up to that point.

What the Civil War was really fought over was State's rights, not slavery. They didn't want a strong centralized federal government, they wanted each individual state to be it's own center of power. And if you watch what's happened since the Civil War ended, you can kind of understand why the South feared a strong centralized government.

Putting the issue of slavery aside (since it wasn't what the war was fought over), you could almost say that we might be a lot better off if the South had won the war. We definitely wouldn't have this problem that we have today of a federal government that's just grasping for more and more power like a kid in a candy store.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:47 AM
Hughes_GOAT

somebody has been reading "The Real Lincoln"
Old 04-22-2009, 04:47 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Pretty much.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:15 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
While obviously slavery was bad, I wouldn't say that the South was completely wrong. In fact, many leaders in the South were preparing for the abolition of slavery long before the war. It was considered just a matter of time. What really set the process back was Darwin's book The Origin of Species. After that was published, there was suddenly a scientific endorsement of slavery and racism and that destroyed much of the progress that the Abolitionists had made up to that point.

What the Civil War was really fought over was State's rights, not slavery. They didn't want a strong centralized federal government, they wanted each individual state to be it's own center of power. And if you watch what's happened since the Civil War ended, you can kind of understand why the South feared a strong centralized government.

Putting the issue of slavery aside (since it wasn't what the war was fought over), you could almost say that we might be a lot better off if the South had won the war. We definitely wouldn't have this problem that we have today of a federal government that's just grasping for more and more power like a kid in a candy store.
Exactly.

Did you know that the new Homeland Security thing mentions favoring local or state law over Federal as an issue? So, they are definitely thinking about it now.

p.s. Everybody should read the Real Lincoln.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR

Indeed. As I understand it, thats pretty much the truth, hard to say who was right and who was wrong. The North represented a Centralized form of Government, then South wanted a De-Centralized form of Government.

You can claim that the South started the war when they began to create a Confederate and directly oppose the North...but there are also arguments that say that the Constitution veirs more towards a group of independants, then a number of doors to the same government.

Distinct difference.

For in one, the Federal Government becomes merely a regulator of sorts needed only because there are so many independants...in the other, effectively the Federal Government RUNS the States....well in that case..why bother having States in the first place, as rather then being autonomous but united...they are actually the SAME thing. "United" implies more then one part. A Centralized Federal Government does not.