Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-16-2009, 07:02 PM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Don't forget, Brock was training MMA about a year and a half before his first fight with Kim. Brock has an unreal ability to control where the fight goes. If he wants it up, it's his choice. If he wants it down, it's his choice. It's a BIG advantage. I honestly think it will be in his best interest to stand up and trade punches with Mir. Unlike Brock, Mir isn't very fast on his feet - anybody can see that from the soccer match he had with Nog on TUF, lol
no wonder Kim doesn't like him
Old 04-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Hughes_GOAT

he's being sarcastic. he's also the guy who said only 10 people on Earth can beat him Lesnar via not getting carried away like last time and no Mazz to stand it up.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:14 PM
mikthehick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Don't forget, Brock was training MMA about a year and a half before his first fight with Kim. Brock has an unreal ability to control where the fight goes. If he wants it up, it's his choice. If he wants it down, it's his choice. It's a BIG advantage. I honestly think it will be in his best interest to stand up and trade punches with Mir. Unlike Brock, Mir isn't very fast on his feet - anybody can see that from the soccer match he had with Nog on TUF, lol
Nope I never said that. It seems like Brock uses his size to intimidate people. He probably does train now, esp. since he did beat Randy.

Part of my opinion is also based on the fact that Randy is in his Twighlight years and that makes me upset (don't aks its a girl thing).

I'm not sure I'm going to take Brock seriously until he beats someone around his age who trains in MMA and not Randy (granted he's in his mid 40s). Brock vs. Fedor would be pretty cool, but doesn't look like that's going to happen. Mir is his biggest threat right now. And if he beats Mir, then he will earn that title fair and square. but then again, Mir is a definite threat.

I dont just like fighters because they are 'hot' or whatever, I really like the ones who have great skills, are strong of moral character, and set good examples. My eventual kids need people to look up to as they grow up.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:17 PM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikthehick

Nope I never said that. It seems like Brock uses his size to intimidate people. He probably does train now, esp. since he did beat Randy.

Part of my opinion is also based on the fact that Randy is in his Twighlight years and that makes me upset (don't aks its a girl thing).

I'm not sure I'm going to take Brock seriously until he beats someone around his age who trains in MMA and not Randy (granted he's in his mid 40s). Brock vs. Fedor would be pretty cool, but doesn't look like that's going to happen. Mir is his biggest threat right now. And if he beats Mir, then he will earn that title fair and square. but then again, Mir is a definite threat.

I dont just like fighters because they are 'hot' or whatever, I really like the ones who have great skills, are strong of moral character, and set good examples. My eventual kids need people to look up to as they grow up.
brock and Heath Herring are the same age, and I coulda sworn Heath isn't new to this whole fighting sort of thing
Old 04-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Villaseņor
I like Frank Mir. He is really a cool guy. He's very good to his fans.
did we miss TUF

Old 04-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikthehick

sounds exactly like Matt when he started out. he wasn't a Christian at the beginning of his career either. he was known to be a little wild himself. Matt intimidated a lot of people with his pure strength too. Brock started out training with Sherk's camp and then trained a little with MFS so he's been training at least 3 years in MMA.

and Matt likes Brock, says they have a lot in common, so i wouldn't be so hard on the guy. maybe he's just looking for an angle on promoting himself?

I went there to watch Brock Lesnar. He is so interesting because he is so athletic as well as being so powerful. So that fight went just like I thought it would, Brock took him down whenever he wanted and on the ground he did whatever he wanted.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21
brock and Heath Herring are the same age, and I coulda sworn Heath isn't new to this whole fighting sort of thing
That's what I was thinking. What about 15 minutes of ass whoop on Heath Herring? They're only 9 months apart in age. Don't forget, Herring had over 40 professional fights and Brock destroyed him in just his 3rd fight. If anybody takes Brock as lightly as you do, they will all end up in the hospital.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:52 PM
mikthehick

To be fair to Brock, I didn't see the Heath Herring fight. I'm not sure how some people can compare Brock to Matt H., maybe in that they are both 'country boys' I guess, but I've only seen Brock in action at his first Mir fight and in the Randy fight.

Honestly, his stand up didn't impress me in the Randy fight and he was gassed by the end of the first round. He was lucky in hitting Randy's glass chin though, and as expected, if Randy went down, Brock was bound to attack him like a bear, which is exactly what happened.

but hey, everyone will have there opinion. I'm still relatively new to actual MMA verses just watching it on tv, so I have an appreciation for how hard these guys work.

I'm not sure I'll ever be a Lesnar fan, but taking him seriously is another story. There is a certain amount of respect he would gain by showing people and the world that he is serious about his sport, and from what you all say, he is.

I'm sure I probably would not have been a Matt H. fan either back in the 90s or early 2000s. Who knows, even people I thought would NEVER be MH fans are now because they see what a great role model he is. Maybe with age and experience, Brock will also be a good role model. I still like Frank Mir better though.

I will stand by my opinion on Frank and Brock. I really don't care if you agree with me or not. I also like Michael Bisbing for example, and a good friend of mine said that our friendship depended on whether or not i liked Bisbing (this friend HATES Bisbing with a passion). I'm sorry, but if a friend is that shallow, then they aren't worth your time.

I rest my case.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:37 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Ugh, I don't think some fans will ever get over the fact that Brock was a WWE superstar at one point in his life. The guy was a 2-time Big 12 heavyweight champ, runner up for the national championship in 1999, and in 2000, a NCAA champion. FYI, that's more credentials than Hughes had in his college wrestling career. The guy's the real deal and anybody who overlooks that is just being blocked by his WWE history.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:57 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21
I'm not a huge Mir fan, but I like how he is constantly trying to improve something that he is already a black belt in...no doubt bringing in one of the best BJJ practioners in the world would help, especially considering it is someone who knows how to translate that into MMA quite well

Agreed.. I like his skill.. and now that he seems to be having some fun.. maybe I can get behind him some.. either way..he's held the title before.. and even then I liked him better than Brock..

WAR Mir!!!