Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 04-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default Amalek

So I'm a little confused about a passage concerning the Exodus. Israel is wandering about somewhere between the Red Sea and Mount Sanai...and they are seemingly attacked out of nowhere and for no reason by "Amalek"

Its almost a random thing in this story...wondered if anyone knew more about Amalek

Ex17

Then Amalek came and fought with Israel at Rephidim. 9 So Moses said to Joshua, “Choose for us men, and go out and fight with Amalek. Tomorrow I will stand on the top of the hill with the staff of God in my hand.” 10 So Joshua did as Moses told him, and fought with Amalek, while Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill. 11 Whenever Moses held up his hand, Israel prevailed, and whenever he lowered his hand, Amalek prevailed. 12 But Moses' hands grew weary, so they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat on it, while Aaron and Hur held up his hands, one on one side, and the other on the other side. So his hands were steady until the going down of the sun. 13 And Joshua overwhelmed Amalek and his people with the sword.

14 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Write this as a memorial in a book and recite it in the ears of Joshua, that I will utterly blot out the memory of Amalek from under heaven.” 15 And Moses built an altar and called the name of it, The Lord Is My Banner, 16 saying, “A hand upon the throne [9] of the Lord! The Lord will have war with Amalek from generation to generation.”
Old 04-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Dethbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Its almost a random thing in this story...wondered if anyone knew more about Amalek

Well, this is interesting!

Genesis 36:12
Esau's son Eliphaz also had a concubine named Timna, who bore him Amalek
Old 04-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethbob View Post
Well, this is interesting!

Genesis 36:12
Esau's son Eliphaz also had a concubine named Timna, who bore him Amalek
ohh Amaleks are decendants of the Hairy one Okay...its just a second Arab Offshoot...GOD did this twice to the Arabs...First he did it with Isiac, when he chose for the lineage to go through him instead of the Heir, who was Ishmael...thats what spawned Islam...all of Abrahams other Children that werent chosen.

Then he did it again with Jacob...who was chosen over Esau...I never gave much thought to any of Esaus children because the major opponents all came from the split a generation above...I suppose Esaus children would also feel cheated out of a Birthwright...and in essence, they were...although thats not the fault of Isiac or Jacob...What can you do it you have a rightful heir...but GOD refuses to acknowledge him you havent got much choice have you
Old 04-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Dethbob

Sadly, their luck did not improve!

1 Chronicles 4

41 The men whose names were listed came in the days of Hezekiah king of Judah. They attacked the Hamites in their dwellings and also the Meunites who were there and completely destroyed [h] them, as is evident to this day. Then they settled in their place, because there was pasture for their flocks. 42 And five hundred of these Simeonites, led by Pelatiah, Neariah, Rephaiah and Uzziel, the sons of Ishi, invaded the hill country of Seir. 43 They killed the remaining Amalekites who had escaped, and they have lived there to this day.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethbob View Post
Sadly, their luck did not improve!

1 Chronicles 4

41 The men whose names were listed came in the days of Hezekiah king of Judah. They attacked the Hamites in their dwellings and also the Meunites who were there and completely destroyed [h] them, as is evident to this day. Then they settled in their place, because there was pasture for their flocks. 42 And five hundred of these Simeonites, led by Pelatiah, Neariah, Rephaiah and Uzziel, the sons of Ishi, invaded the hill country of Seir. 43 They killed the remaining Amalekites who had escaped, and they have lived there to this day.
Do we assume the tribe was completely and utterly wiped out...like almost a case of....ethnic clensing or something

There is certainly no huge race that I can think of thats decended from Abraham, besides the Arabs that split under Ishmael....I suppose all the rest just naturally died out...or were hunted and distroyed like the above...unless specifically mentioned in Scripture obviously