Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 04-13-2009, 11:39 PM
County Mike

I think Americans would call it a cramp. You just have to build up your tolerance. Also, don't eat or drink too much before you run - especially anything carbonated. The more you run, the further you'll be able to go before getting the "stitch".
Old 04-14-2009, 12:07 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
"Stitch" is silly Englosh talk for a cramp. Dave: dig you fist into your side wherever you get the cramp & just keeping going. It'll pass.
will it go away if I just keep running I didnt know that.

I didnt realize that Americans didnt know what a Stitch was
Old 04-14-2009, 12:13 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn

Yeah, you just gotta push through it. If you need to, slow down your pace & take deep slow breaths, but you don't need to quit.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:29 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Yeah, you just gotta push through it. If you need to, slow down your pace & take deep slow breaths, but you don't need to quit.
it just makes me feel icky...like I'll be retching if I'm not to careful. also I cant really breath coz I dont get a full breath until I've calmed down some hahahaha

I do it in the dark, when noone can see me
Old 04-14-2009, 04:30 AM
mikthehick

Dave, I like your word, I'm trying to learn British English for my trip over there sometime in the next year

Anyway, Ben was right, just hold the sore area and keep running. I know it sucks, but no pain no gain, and it's really good if your body is mildly sore after working out.

Last week, after being paired with a fighter in class, he punched me SUPER hard in my tummy region. If I had my cam I woulda taken pictures. Anyway, it bruised a bit but it was awesome because my abs were under there and sore. I can already tell I'm going to be sore from MT and boxing tonight too.

I'll start running in a couple days, then you and me can have a race when you pass through here LOL
Old 04-14-2009, 04:38 AM
Primadawn

Quote:

I knew what it was! We always called that getting a stitch too Dave!
Old 04-14-2009, 04:55 AM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadawn
Me too. And Dave, don't worry about pinching/punching/poking it. Focus on belly breathing, that's what helps the most for me.

I'm a couch-to-5k disciple, I highly recommend it.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
Old 04-14-2009, 05:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:

Do you guys not understand me or something. Running doesnt hurt...but it gives me a stitch...Running isnt supposed to give you a Stitch is it
Are you talking about a cramp in your side that makes it difficult to breath? Probably means that you are not drinking enough water throughout the day.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadawn
Yes, "stitch" as in "I've got a stitch in my side".

Dave, maybe you should start out with walking rather than running and ease into it so you don't hurt yourself. You probably need to expand your lungs. You know what's good for that, swimming.

I took swimming as one of my PE's in college and for the first time I could actually run around the track easily. I think it's because of holding my breath swimming under water, it expanded my lungs making it easier for me to run without huffing and puffing.

I saw this lady in the pool at the gym the other day and she had this vest thing on. It's like she was running but in the pool. The vest helped keep her upright, but her head above water, in the deeper end. I bet you would like that better than "running". Plus, like someone else said, it's easier on your joints but still really good cardio to burn calories.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

Last edited by Bonnie; 04-14-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Primadawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
Yes, "stitch" as in "I've got a stitch in my side".

Dave, maybe you should start out with walking rather than running and ease into it so you don't hurt yourself. You probably need to expand your lungs. You know what's good for that, swimming.

I took swimming as one of my PE's in college and for the first time I could actually run around the track easily. I think it's because of holding my breath swimming under water, it expanded my lungs making it easier for me to run without huffing and puffing.

I saw this lady in the pool at the gym the other day and she had this vest thing on. It's like she was running but in the pool. The vest helped keep her upright, but her head above water, in the deeper end. I bet you would like that better than "running". Plus, like someone else said, it's easier on your joints but still really good cardio to burn calories.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!
I wish we had a decent pool close to me! I'd much rather swim than run. Closest indoor to me though is about 25 minutes away and I know I wouldn't go every day...