Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 04-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
This hardly proves anything, Dave. I'm more interested in what the Bible says, not in how some Catholic lady sings.
She's Anglican

and isnt the Jewish Judge, the Jewish Prophet, and the Jewish leaders of the Early Church enough for you
Old 04-13-2009, 10:14 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F
Exactly your church, not the bible. We must be careful making church dogmas and traditions doctrines of the church. my personal opinion is the Baptist have it right. God plan of authority is for a man to lead. But my personal thoughts carry no weight.
INDEED. Plenty of people just follow the Roman Catholics lead on matters of Tradition.

Next people like Nathan will be saying you have to do something other then just have faith and believe for Salvation....
Old 04-13-2009, 10:15 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Junia was listed as a deaconess. The Alexandrian manuscripts later changed the gender on it but the oldest manuscripts we got shows this is a female.
So....we have proof that Nathan is wrong about Women Priests

The Bible shows Women Priests...then what is the problem
Old 04-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The bible actually list female deaconesses and female leaders of the church. So to ignore it would be unbiblical.
I'm not going to argue with anyone in the Christianity section, but the bible actually says:

An elder must be blameless, the husband of but one wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient. Since an overseer is entrusted with God's work, he must be blameless—not overbearing, not quick-tempered, not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain. Rather he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined. He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it. -Titus 1:6-9

I just wanted to see what everybody thought, this stemmed from a conversation we had last Wednesday night in our bible study.

I would like to know exactly where it lists women as deaconesses or leaders in the church. If you could give me specific verses where those names are listed. Thanks. Mark
Old 04-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
They even had a female guest pastor one Sunday, but I just couldn't bring myself to go and listen to her preach that day, it just didn't seem right at all.
Nate has a hard enough time bringing himself to church when there is a male pastor. Mark
Old 04-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
I would like to know exactly where it lists women as deaconesses or leaders in the church. If you could give me specific verses where those names are listed. Thanks. Mark
1 Corinthians 16.19

I dont know if thats the only verse or if there are more

Titus...which you quote, is a brief about the Hierachy of the Church. The point is not whether they are male or female, the point is how the church should be governed. Its Pontifical (With Deacons, Priests, Bishops...or whatever names you have for a heirachical church)
Old 04-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
Nate has a hard enough time bringing himself to church when there is a male pastor. Mark
I BET HE DOES
Old 04-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Junia was listed as a deaconess. The Alexandrian manuscripts later changed the gender on it but the oldest manuscripts we got shows this is a female.
Actually, there is some question as to whether this is a man or a woman, and the word "deaconess" or "elder" is not used. Paul just referred to this person as his "fellow countrymen."
Old 04-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
So....we have proof that Nathan is wrong about Women Priests

The Bible shows Women Priests...then what is the problem
Dave, you're just miffed because I wouldn't let you attack American in the polar bear thread.

Maybe you should actually READ the Bible before you jump to conclusions and make yourself sound stupid.

Anyways, it's not proof of anything because the world "deaconess" is not used and we're not even sure if Junia/Junias is a man or a woman.

Plus a deacon is most definitely NOT the same as a priest.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Actually, there is some question as to whether this is a man or a woman, and the word "deaconess" or "elder" is not used. Paul just referred to this person as his "fellow countrymen."
then she was a flying Bishop! thats what Saint Paul became.

He had Jursidiction over a whole group of areas filled with Churches...if he says she is the same as him...she must be a Bishop...

btw...Greetings arent said, or sent from Plebs Nathan...If you were writing TO someone by name, then they HAD to be of importance. If Such and Such sends their greetings...they will probably be leaders of the place...they represent the place.

Paul wouldnt write to Plebs...he'd write to seniors within the Churches...probably the people he left in-charge...possibly people like Titus...who probably had responsibility for more then one person, and actually acted on behalf of Paul in selecting ministers...THATS why he details what qualities a minister should have

That makes Titus a Suffigen Bishop