Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 04-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Default Women elders in the church

What does everyone think about women being elders or pastors in the church?
Old 04-13-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
I belonged ot First United Church of Christ and they allowed both. One of my favorite ministers I've had in my life was female.
Now Presbyterian and the Interim and associate pastors are woman.
I don't have a problem with it at all.
What are your thoughts?

[
Old 04-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Good to see you post again Mark.

I feel personally that women have often been excluded from religious activity not based on biblical standard but more on male shovanism(sp).

I think that the most qualified, educated and passionate person should be the one to lead the congregation.

I believe there is a verse in the bible that states that women should concede to men in area's of faith but in if there isn't a sufficient male example to follow there shouldn't be a reason a woman couldn't minister.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Administrator

I grew up Baptist and women were definitely not allowed to be pastors, deacons (the Baptist word for elder) or hold any sort of leadership position in the church. The only exceptions would be when it involved child care, Sunday School or the choir (even though the church music leader was always a man).

When going to the Presbyterian church here in Hillsboro, I was kind of shocked to learn that women were allowed to be elders. I'm still not sure how I feel about that. They even had a female guest pastor one Sunday, but I just couldn't bring myself to go and listen to her preach that day, it just didn't seem right at all.

Now, there are a few female Bible teachers that I really like. Kay Arthur being one; but I've only listened to her on TV and she teaches in a classroom style environment, not in a church auditorium. I like her because she has very biblically sound teachings and she spends a lot of time on prophecy. However, she never tells women that they should seek leadership in the church. She teaches that women are given a role in the church and they should be happy in that role. Just like a marriage will fall apart if the husband and wife are in a constant power struggle and the wife refuses to submit to the man's authority, the church will also fall apart if the women seek to usurp the men that GOD has placed in charge.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Preach

Quote:

I believe that as long as the woman is rooted in God's word and preaches God's word there is nothing wrong. The misconception that happens is that people don't come with open minds on this subject. When you look at God's word you will see that God used women in several instances. And of all the people in Christ days that he could have appeared to. Peter, John, Lazarus, the disciples anyone one of these. Who was the first person he appeared to? It was Mary a woman in whom he had cast out 7 demons. I used to be closed minded on this subjest but when my sister became an evangelist a few years ago my perspective changed drastically. She is now in full time ministry. She has traveled to several states and has ministered to numerous people.

The one thing I am not sure how I feel about is the role of Pastor or Elder? I worry about peoples openess to go to a woman for counselling. But as a whole I will say that God does use women just as much as he uses men.

How do you see this Mark?
Old 04-13-2009, 06:17 PM
rearnakedchoke

i grew up catholic and when i was young, all the alter boys were boys (hence the name) but as time went on, girls started being them in some churches ... some people didn't like it, women are now ministers of communion etc ... everything except priests ... i know there are reasons, but to me, as long as they are doing GOd's deeds, doesn't matter if they are women or men, we are all equal ..
Old 04-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Chris F

The bible actually list female deaconesses and female leaders of the church. So to ignore it would be unbiblical. Many people use the excuse that Paul told women to be silent in Church but they ignore the historical background and context of that verse. The Corinthian church had a specific problem. We forget the letter were written to Churches with problems that needs guidance. We cannot make a dogma on one verse so out of context.

They also make the excuse husband of one wife. Well by that logic we must exclude all single people as well.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F
They also make the excuse husband of one wife. Well by that logic we must exclude all single people as well.
In the Baptist churches I grew up in, single or divorced men weren't allowed to be deacons or pastors.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Miss Foxy

I personally don't favor it. I am also the same girl that does not think a woman should ever be President of the USA. I cannot fully explain why I think this way I just do.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:52 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Villaseņor
I personally don't favor it. I am also the same girl that does not think a woman should ever be President of the USA. I cannot fully explain why I think this way I just do.
well, hopefully your daughter can prove you wrong when she becomes the POTUS .......