Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 04-14-2009, 12:20 PM

Is there a specific version of the Bible that everyone can agree upon using for these studies? My old student bible will just enrage Nate with all it's sports analogies, and sing along CD

[
Old 04-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
Is there a specific version of the Bible that everyone can agree upon using for these studies? My old student bible will just enrage Nate with all it's sports analogies, and sing along CD
I'd just use what you can understand brother. I like the New Living Translation for casual reading that puts many things in cultural language and context. I also like NIV ... those are two solid translations.

Nate can break down the Greek and Hebrew to further our understanding as needed.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer
I'd just use what you can understand brother. I like the New Living Translation for casual reading that puts many things in cultural language and context. I also like NIV ... those are two solid translations.

Nate can break down the Greek and Hebrew to further our understanding as needed.
I'll check it out Boomer! I take this as a confirmation of your participation in the study group?

[
Old 04-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
I'll check it out Boomer! I take this as a confirmation of your participation in the study group?
No brother. I normally have a standing policy not to get into Spiritual discussions over the Internet. Can never gauge how people are taking or understanding what is being said. I just not comfortable with that. Seen it do more harm then good. Any Bible study or discussion on Spiritual matters for me are going to be with folks I can look in the eye and know the quality of their character. Most of my life is an open book to anyone I come across in life. My Spirituality is not.

But I will read the study with great interest.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer
No brother. I normally have a standing policy not to get into Spiritual discussions over the Internet. Can never gauge how people are taking or understanding what is being said. I just not comfortable with that. Seen it do more harm then good. Any Bible study or discussion on Spiritual matters for me are going to be with folks I can look in the eye and know the quality of their character. Most of my life is an open book to anyone I come across in life. My Spirituality is not.

But I will read the study with great interest.
I completely understand. The two things (as a rule) I would never discuss in a bar were religion or politics. It never ended well, and the alcohol tended to escalate every discussion.
I'm going ot take this study as a textual discussion on what is in ink on the page and try to stay away from interpretations and my own opinion. we shall see how long that lasts
I look forward to talking to you in Vegas, buddy.

[
Old 04-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Crisco

I like the New King James version

When I first started reading and wanting to learn the bible Ricky got me my first bible and had it engraved to this day it's my favorite and most heartfelt gift I've ever received.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:19 PM
CAVEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F
May I suggest James. It is a very practical book with a lot of stuff we Christians have stopped practicing in our lives.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:25 PM
CAVEMAN

KJV, NKJV, & NAS are good translations!
Old 04-14-2009, 03:46 PM
mikthehick

NRSV and NIV here, great versions, both of them. It's hard to understand NRSV sometimes, but NIV is in plain English to me.

Cool idea Cris, I look forward to it (don't have time to make the multiple bible studies at my church)....
Old 04-14-2009, 03:51 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

I use the ESV, but I've also got NASB, NKJV, NIV...whatever translation y'all wanna use, I'll do that.