Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 04-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default Saint Matthew says the BODIES of The Saints woke at the Ressurection

"and behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom, and the earth did quake and the rocks rent. And the Graves were opened ; and many bodies of the Saints which slept arose and came out of the graves after His Ressurection and went into the Holy City and appeared unto many"

Correct me if I'm wrong. But is Saint Matthew actually saying that when Christ Died there was such an earth quake that the Graves of jews past credited with righteousness were actually exposed enough so people could see the bodies...and that after Jesus rose...so did many of the Jews who had been burried for possibly eons, and they all wandered into Jerusalem??

I assume that these saintly visitations in Jerusalem were in Spirit...but the way its written, first with the graves bursting open, and then in the second part of the same sentance, the saints appearing all over Jerusalem, makes you wonder if they had the same ressurectional body that Christ had at that time

...its the fact that rather then saying "the saints awoke" He says "The BODIES of the Saints Awoke"...and not just saying that a spiritual visitiation took place but...the BODIES "came out of he grave after His ressurection" and started walking around.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Maglorius

51And behold,(BT) the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. And(BU) the earth shook, and the rocks were split. 52The tombs also were opened. And many bodies of(BV) the saints(BW) who had fallen asleep were raised, 53and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection they went into(BX) the holy city and appeared to many. 54(BY) When the centurion and those who were with him,(BZ) keeping watch over Jesus, saw the earthquake and what took place, they were filled with awe and said,(CA) "Truly this was the Son[i] of God!" ESV

My family and I just had this discussion about this passage a few months ago, so it awesome that you brought it up here to talk about. When I read it, I do believe that the saints whose tombs were opened were ressurected after Jesus and appeared in their ressurected bodies to others in the Holy City. The question we were having as a family was that were they raised before Jesus or after. We came to the conclusion that it must have been after Christs ressurection. The wording of the passage makes it sound like they may have been raised before but they didn't come out of the tomb until after Jesus was raised. Makes me think that it all didn't happen until Christ was raised.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maglorius
51And behold,(BT) the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. And(BU) the earth shook, and the rocks were split. 52The tombs also were opened. And many bodies of(BV) the saints(BW) who had fallen asleep were raised, 53and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection they went into(BX) the holy city and appeared to many. 54(BY) When the centurion and those who were with him,(BZ) keeping watch over Jesus, saw the earthquake and what took place, they were filled with awe and said,(CA) "Truly this was the Son[i] of God!" ESV

My family and I just had this discussion about this passage a few months ago, so it awesome that you brought it up here to talk about. When I read it, I do believe that the saints whose tombs were opened were ressurected after Jesus and appeared in their ressurected bodies to others in the Holy City. The question we were having as a family was that were they raised before Jesus or after. We came to the conclusion that it must have been after Christs ressurection. The wording of the passage makes it sound like they may have been raised before but they didn't come out of the tomb until after Jesus was raised. Makes me think that it all didn't happen until Christ was raised.
Indeed....It seems that when Christ died, the force of the situation cause Tremours, these tremours appeared to open the graves of local saints, unearthing their bodies, or breaking the seals on their tombs.

When Jesus Rose from the dead, it seems almost like there was so much excitable energy that the dead in the nearby graveyards were woken up also. Think of it like almost an electrical field, the ressurection of Christ was so powerful, other nearby graves were exposed....I guess it kinda makes sense

Those who woke shared similar characteristics to Christ, they were saintly, i.e they had died prior to Christ, as Jews, persumably, but they had been credited with Righteousness. When the most powerful movement of GOD since creation itself occured, they were kinda Ressurected

Think of this in regards to Jesus words when the unclean woman was healed. He said "power has gone out from me" as if...its possible to almost TAKE power from Christ through Faith. Those Saints were Faithful in the SAME way, and all they needed was the catalyst of Christ to be ressurected...and suddenly...they are ALL wondering around Jerusalem.

One must presume that like Christ, they were in their ressurectional Bodies....ergo not instantly recognisable to unbelievers...or else you would have NON Christian and NON religious stories all over the place about all these Ressurected Saints roaming the streets of Jerusalem.

I have several theories as to why they arent recognised. Firstly, the ressurectional body is YOUR body at its prefection. You have never been seen completely perfect. Think of a Celebrity who gets airburshed on a magazine...they DONT look like that in real life. Also one would be at ones perfect age...presumably the perfect age is the age at which Adam and Eve were created whole. Probably somewhere between 20 and 40....well if your an elderly saint and you died in your 90s....wandering around Jerusalem in your 20s looking more perfect then you did when you WERE in your 20s....isnt going to get you instantly recognised...except by people who knew well of you.

For example...I reckon if I was walking down the street in 50 years time and a 20 year old Jens Pulver appeared...I would be able to recognise him...Not sure the vast majority of his fans would...

THAT is why this collosal happening...went completely unnoticed by anyone but the Gospel According To, and Written For, a JEWISH audience. Matthew presumably knew these Saints well enough to recognise them, as did a few people who they spoke to whilst they wandered through Jerusalem....presumably, like Christ...they would have asscended not long afterwards. Being in their Ressurectional Bodies...they cant die again...there is another good reason we can be sure it was a ressurectional body....

...These Saints sound like they had been sleeping for some time...if they rose al la Lazarus...then...they'd have the appearence of Zombies wouldnt they...their Earthly Bodies had LONG past that kinda ressurection

Me and my Family also had a massive discussion about this