Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 04-11-2009, 04:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
As for stupid people owning guns, that argument is silly. If they are gonna start taking things away from stupid people, they better start with vehicles.
Not to mention the definition of "stupid" is extremely subjective. Either way, any sort of infringement of basic human rights based on intelligence level is hovering dangerously close to a modern day eugenics movement.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:23 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Not to mention the definition of "stupid" is extremely subjective. Either way, any sort of infringement of basic human rights based on intelligence level is hovering dangerously close to a modern day eugenics movement.
Exactly my point.

I do understand what Que was saying, there are too many stupid people doing lots of stupid stuff. However, unless those "stupid" people violate the law, they are entitled to the same right to bear arms or drive a vehicle as anybody else.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:43 PM
timmyja

Its a whole lot easier to purchase a gun in an illegal manner. The people committing the crimes are not law-abiding citizens, did not purchase them legally to begin with, and no matter what laws are in place will continue to purchase them illegally.. It is not right for my rights to be infringed on because of the actions of a select few. This is how easy it is...

The night of the Kampmann/Condit fight I had to wait THREE days for a background check for a Marlin .22 I purchased. Just a little something to plink around and shoot groundhogs and cans with (cheap to shoot, too) but I had to wait THREE days in VA to get it. That is BS.. I recently bought a Sig p239 (for CC purposes) and the wait for that was one week. It used to be a simple background check here, and you were good to go. Seems like we are in for just another "change."

Old 04-11-2009, 05:31 PM
atomdanger

haha I like Penn and Teller doing a little gun control bit.

I do feel like we need to be much harder on criminals who commit crimes with guns though.
I don't think taking guns away is the answer, but there are a LOT of guns on the streets, and they are doing a lot of bad.

We need to legalize marijuana, and spend the absurd amount of money from that fight to fight illegal guns, and gun criminals.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:33 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyja
Its a whole lot easier to purchase a gun in an illegal manner. The people committing the crimes are not law-abiding citizens, did not purchase them legally to begin with, and no matter what laws are in place will continue to purchase them illegally.. It is not right for my rights to be infringed on because of the actions of a select few. This is how easy it is...
Oh and you aren't exaggerating,
I could fairly easily go pick up any handgun you want (literally any) for under 250 dollars.
and the Portland metro area isn't even a very bad city at all, its a hippy town for the most part,
I imagine in places like LA or Detroit its even easier, esp for bad guys.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:23 PM
medic92

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
I never thought I would agree with Penn and Teller on anything, but they're spot on here.
You should take a look at their expose on PETA as well. They exposed them very badly for the frauds they are. Penn & Teller are equal opportunity attackers.

Quote:
I would say that I don't think President Obama is dumb enough to try to ban firearms during his Presidency, however his actions since getting inaugurated have proven to me that I've severely overestimated the man's intelligence.
Obama has been exposed as not a highly intelligent person and great speaker, but simply nothing more than a showman who can only perform under close supervision and coaching. His various gaffes, missteps and obvious disconnect with the real world are quickly making many wish they hadn't cast a ballot for him.

I wonder how that hope and change is working out for the people who voted for Obama...