Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 04-09-2009, 01:20 AM
Buzzard

That is only one of many plans, not the sole plan. It is not only just one scientist who has researched this.

Personally, I feel that if we were ever to get to a point where we needed to do something that drastic, it would already be too late.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:36 AM
logrus

You guys make it sound like the Gov has never in its existence funded anything new age or revolutionary.

Yup your right Obama is the first Pres to ever fund a project that went nowhere.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:45 AM
timmyja

I'm sure by now I have established myself as no genius, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my arms around the idea of this "polar ice-cap mirror" theory. I'm pretty sure, if I remember right, that the most direct sunlight strikes a fairly large protion of the Earth called "the equator." The latest theory on global warming that I have heard is that if the polar icecaps melt, it won't be the "waterworld" scenario, but the Earth will overheat because the polar icecaps cannot reflect the sun's rays back into space. It seems to me that the poles, north and south, are both pretty dark places. I was just wondering if anybody could really explain that theory in laymen's terms

thx
Old 04-09-2009, 02:04 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard
That is only one of many plans, not the sole plan. It is not only just one scientist who has researched this.

Personally, I feel that if we were ever to get to a point where we needed to do something that drastic, it would already be too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus
You guys make it sound like the Gov has never in its existence funded anything new age or revolutionary.

Yup your right Obama is the first Pres to ever fund a project that went nowhere.
If you blot out the sun, you block plants' abilities to take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen. Without this natural cycle, nothing on Earth would survive, not even bacteria. This is simple 3rd grade science, nothing more than common sense.

Last edited by rockdawg21; 04-09-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
If you blot out the sun, you block plants' abilities to take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen. Without this natural cycle, nothing on Earth would survive, not even bacteria. This is simple 3rd grade science, nothing more than common sense.
Yeah, this is like a crazy plot of some evil, mad scientist in a James Bond movie. Unfortunately, the villains are the guys running our government.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Yeah, this is like a crazy plot of some evil, mad scientist in a James Bond movie. Unfortunately, the villains are the guys running our government.
Ironically, Mr. Burns did this to Springfield on an episode of the Simpsons. I mean, seriously, is this what we've resorted to doing? How juvenile of an idea.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyja
I'm sure by now I have established myself as no genius, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my arms around the idea of this "polar ice-cap mirror" theory. I'm pretty sure, if I remember right, that the most direct sunlight strikes a fairly large protion of the Earth called "the equator." The latest theory on global warming that I have heard is that if the polar icecaps melt, it won't be the "waterworld" scenario, but the Earth will overheat because the polar icecaps cannot reflect the sun's rays back into space. It seems to me that the poles, north and south, are both pretty dark places. I was just wondering if anybody could really explain that theory in laymen's terms

thx
There's actually evidence that the polar ice caps are expanding, not shrinking. There is also a group of over 600 scientists (and growing) who claim that the entire "global warming" thing is bunk. So, in the face of so much conflicting evidence and contradictory theories, it's best to just say that none of these people have any idea of what they are talking about.

Personally, I think the flaw in global warming is that it is based on an Evolutionary timetable. We've only been measuring the melting of the ice caps for maybe a century, so saying that it's become rapidly accelerated is just speculation. If you go by the young earth theory (which is what the Bible would support), then the glaciers have probably only existed for a few thousand years (probably from the Great Flood in Genesis) and they've probably been melting since then. So if you take the amount that the glaciers have receded over the course of a few thousand years and stretch it out over billions of years, then of course any melting we observe today is going to appear frighteningly accelerated.

What global warming amounts to is just a bunch of alarmists and opportunists trying to cash in on artificially-produced mass hysteria.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Ironically, Mr. Burns did this to Springfield on an episode of the Simpsons. I mean, seriously, is this what we've resorted to doing? How juvenile of an idea.
And we all remember what happened to him at the end of that episode.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
There's actually evidence that the polar ice caps are expanding, not shrinking.
Show it to me
Old 04-09-2009, 04:54 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
Show it to me
This past winter was much colder than most I remember.

Global Warming is Bull Sh*t.

If they blast these reflective particles into space to block the sun that I love, I'll personally fly up there and destroy them all.