Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 04-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Chuck

The WW rankings do look like crap...

I think Matt is easily #5 with a strong argument for #4.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:15 PM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44
1. GSP
2. Alves
3. Fitch
4. Thiago
5. Koscheck
6. kampmann
7. Hughes
8. Shields
9. condit
10. swick

my ww ranks
so Thiago gets number 4 for looking horrible against Kos until he caught him with one punch, and Kampmann gets 6 because he beat a WEC'er?
Old 04-08-2009, 02:35 AM
Max

Ok let me run down why some of the rankings are what they are.

First off, Rich has decided to move up to LHW, that is why Sherdog has him ranked there.

As for WW. The rankings are not about what a fighter has done over his whole career, it abotu how good the fighters are right now. Like BJ pointed out, MAtt has not fought in almost a year (in most ranking systems inactivity drops a fighter down the rankings) and he is 1-3 in his last 4 fights. Once Matt beats Serra Im sure he will jump back up to 5 or 6. Shields has won 11 in a row and in that time has beat Condit, Okami and Charuto. As much as I dont like the guy he should be ranked i nthe top 5 untill he gets beat. I think that Karo should be off the list and everyone under him should be moved up one spot.

As for LW, why the hell should Aoki not be #2? The onlny person I could see being ranked above him is Hansen, but Hansen lost to Alvarez and Aoki crushed Alvarez. Aoki is clearly the 2nd best LW in the world and you can make a strong case for him being #1. Now I know somone is going to point out his loss to Mach, but that was at WW, you cant drop Aoki in the LW rankings because he lost a fight at WW. As for why there are som many non-UFC fighters in the top 5. Well thats becasue DREAM might have the best LW fighters in the world right now.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21
so Thiago gets number 4 for looking horrible against Kos until he caught him with one punch, and Kampmann gets 6 because he beat a WEC'er?
that wec was already in the top 10 before the fight. So yes beating him warrants him a top 10 spot.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
Ok let me run down why some of the rankings are what they are.

First off, Rich has decided to move up to LHW, that is why Sherdog has him ranked there.

As for WW. The rankings are not about what a fighter has done over his whole career, it abotu how good the fighters are right now. Like BJ pointed out, MAtt has not fought in almost a year (in most ranking systems inactivity drops a fighter down the rankings) and he is 1-3 in his last 4 fights. Once Matt beats Serra Im sure he will jump back up to 5 or 6. Shields has won 11 in a row and in that time has beat Condit, Okami and Charuto. As much as I dont like the guy he should be ranked i nthe top 5 untill he gets beat. I think that Karo should be off the list and everyone under him should be moved up one spot.

As for LW, why the hell should Aoki not be #2? The onlny person I could see being ranked above him is Hansen, but Hansen lost to Alvarez and Aoki crushed Alvarez. Aoki is clearly the 2nd best LW in the world and you can make a strong case for him being #1. Now I know somone is going to point out his loss to Mach, but that was at WW, you cant drop Aoki in the LW rankings because he lost a fight at WW. As for why there are som many non-UFC fighters in the top 5. Well thats becasue DREAM might have the best LW fighters in the world right now.
agrees although aoki's style would not work as well in the ufc while some dream fighters would atually benefit from the cage such as ishida and kawajiri
Old 04-08-2009, 07:27 PM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44
that wec was already in the top 10 before the fight. So yes beating him warrants him a top 10 spot.
but 6? thats a little high, and I don't think condit can hang withe upper level guys in the ufc, I think soon enough he will be out of that top 10
Old 04-08-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21
but 6? thats a little high, and I don't think condit can hang withe upper level guys in the ufc, I think soon enough he will be out of that top 10
you make it seem like condit hasnt beaten any good fighters in his career

hes beaten trigg, alessio, larson, churuto hes beaten good fighters and deserves his top 10 ranking.