Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-07-2009, 03:44 PM
TheConcretekid

Default Easter In The Octagon

Note: I didn't know if this should go in the Christian section or the UFC section, so if it gets moved, I won't cry about it.

A church in St. Louis is holding an Easter Service with a UFC theme, here is a link to the article with an interview with the pastor of the church.

From their flyer:

Quote:
For years the church has taught us to be "the nice guy" when we have really been called to be Ultimate Fighters, but what do we fight for? Join us on Easter and throughout April, as we "jump into the Octagon of Life" and learn how to be the 'The Ultimate Fighter!'
And for the youngsters:
Quote:
For children, there will be an “Easter Smack Down” with an inflatable boxing ring.

Some highlights of the interview:
Quote:
I think [Jesus would] be a Forest Griffin type. Vicious but yet forgiving.

We want to make Easter relevant again. We don't want to make it about lilies and nice dresses.

But on any Sunday morning I'll pick on everybody from Catholics to the Amish... We make it so complicated and Christ wanted it to be simple.

Reminds me of Galatians.

I wonder if the UFC will sue over use of the word/image of an octagon, blatantly using their logo for their flyer, using the phrase Ultimate Fighter, or if the WWE will sue for use of the "Smack Down"
Old 04-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

this is brilliant

I wish my Church did something like that. When I was in Saint Paul's I used to be the duty virger for the Easter Vigil from Saturday to Sunday

We hung 90 Foot banners from the Whispering Gallery...before it sort of went wrong
Old 04-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Love it!

~Amy
Old 04-07-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
this is brilliant

I wish my Church did something like that. When I was in Saint Paul's I used to be the duty virger for the Easter Vigil from Saturday to Sunday

We hung 90 Foot banners from the Whispering Gallery...before it sort of went wrong
Sort of...

The font and now this. Was another quickie vacation in order, Dave?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
Sort of...

The font and now this. Was another quickie vacation in order, Dave?
No.

See it started when Canon Warner (who was the director for the Lay Community) and myself, were reconciled after the terrible happenings of Summer 2004.

I had this rash idea, whilst we were planning the overnight vigil. That perhaps we should create a Quire Screen, using gigantic banners...about six of them, hanging for the Whispering Gallery. The night could be filled with stick prayer requests and whatever, on the banners, before being strung up 100feet into the air.

It was a blaise comment...and Warner said okay, I was to do it.

So we went to walthemstow Market and bought the fabric, and on a night after the Cathedral was closed. I would start work on putting the sunrise across these banners. Funny thing was, you couldnt fit more then three next to each other because the Quire was just too small...and when laid out, these strips would run from the Saqarium, all the way to the back of the Dome

Anyway...many hours it took

Then came the wooden frame, it was simply a loop in the fabric and a block of wood that ran through it. we were securing the fabric to the wood with everything from nails and tacks, to industrial staples...because my one worry was would the weight of the banners hold.

Anyway...finally we came to measuring out the position of where the banners needed to be hung..and we did a test with two. It looked fantastic! So the Screen was to go infront of the Quire, hanging from the East side of the Gallery.

The day before the event, Martin Warner, announced he wanted the Screen actually on the West side of the Dome...where the Nave meets the Dome...not where the Quire continues from the Dome...So I had to mirror the positions on the opposite side.

Finally the moment came. I had all the community up on the Gallery (myself a bit queezy from the height...but never the less) and we had hung Three and Warner told me that the banners were not close enough. Now if He'd just let me finish he would have discovered that the perspective corrects itself when viewed FROM AFAR...NOT UP CLOSE...obviously there are HUGE gaps between the banners when your bloody standing underneith them.

Dispite me telling the Community to ignore him and continue...He came up to the Gallery and started to order the untying of banners from one place, and shifting them over.. I told him they were fragile.

with all the jostling...remember...if you want to move the banner, you must pull it up from the floor, 90 feet, over the rail, untie the connections, remove, retie, and then throw the banner effectively off the top...Basically...they couldnt take the strain of the constant up and down.

And one of the banner came undone and fell the 90 feet leaving the wood behind...then on a second banner, the wood snapped....

He bloody ruined my project. It was unfixable...when we lost the third It was over.

I was REALLY angry and upset about it....out of all the hardships i'd had and suffered in that Cathedral...that morning was the one time a shed a few tears, whilst actually inside the Cathedral. It happened when everyone came back up expecting to see the Screen which of course wasnt there, and London was led up the Quire towards the Great West Doors...and there was no screen for him to pass through...I wasnt needed, so I just skullked in the shadows behind a pillar...it was dark...no one could see...and no one cared.

I watched them celebrate the first communion of Easter Morning, and then head out onto the steps, drinking their glasses of champaign...ohh...thats right...dispite not having touched alcohol in nearly two years by then...Martin Warner could never remember I was T-Total

It was quite strange, because all the way through the vigil, had been the theme of death, which we did quite boldly, by creating a Catafalque...the Catafalque became the altar on which the first Communion of Easter Sunday was performed

Last edited by Tyburn; 04-07-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConcretekid
Note: I didn't know if this should go in the Christian section or the UFC section, so if it gets moved, I won't cry about it.

A church in St. Louis is holding an Easter Service with a UFC theme, here is a link to the article with an interview with the pastor of the church.

From their flyer:

And for the youngsters:

Some highlights of the interview:

Reminds me of Galatians.

I wonder if the UFC will sue over use of the word/image of an octagon, blatantly using their logo for their flyer, using the phrase Ultimate Fighter, or if the WWE will sue for use of the "Smack Down"
Forrest = Jusus?

Now that's a first!!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:39 PM
matthughesfan21

would be a good way to get the younger generations to become interested in christianity if they are not already
Old 04-08-2009, 03:06 AM
Primadawn

For the kids: An Easter SMACKDOWN????

That's just sooooo wrong...
Old 04-08-2009, 03:08 AM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadawn
For the kids: An Easter SMACKDOWN????

That's just sooooo wrong...

I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. Thanks
Old 04-13-2009, 03:49 AM
Primadawn

OK, so check this out!!!!

All of my old high school friends on my facebook have sent this to me. The pastor of the church that's doing this is an old friend of ours!

I didn't read the actual article before or I would have made the connection! Tom Skiles was one year behind me in school--his older brother Joe, who is also a pastor I believe--was one year ahead of me!

Lemme tell you girls...these 2 boys had ALLL the girlies after them back in the day!!! And they SANG! *swoon*

I'm going to have to get in touch with him and let him know he made the MH forums!!