Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 04-07-2009, 07:10 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck

Admit it JB.... that was funny!!
Funny as it may be, he is still wrong on so many levels.

First level... I am not discrediting Lebron. Not at all. In fact, I said he has much more raw talent then Kobe. It's the on-court leadership quality that I said Kobe has the edge on. That comes with winning championships. How long it takes you to do it has NOTHING to do with it. Kobe helped lead a Lakers team to a Championship after only 4 seasons. It took Jordan 7 years. I could see Lebron doing it here in the next couple years. They are both in the same league, but I still think Kobe has that little extra under his belt compared to James in that category for right now.

I also never said that Jordan and Kobe had crappy teams around them when they won championships, but the point is JORDAN AND KOBE MADE THEIR TEAMMATES BETTER PLAYERS. Instead of trying to compare Shaquille O'neal to Zydrunas Ilgauskas, why not look at the fact that the Cavs have had some pretty decent people on their roster since James entered the league.
Ilgauskas is actually a 2 time all star, and they also had players like Larry Hughes, Donyell Marshall, and Drew Gooden. James led them to the finals, and they lost. Ben Wallace came in last season, and they made it to the Semi-finals, but they could not stop Boston.

Winning 65 games is great, but it dont mean crap if you fail in the playoffs. Ask my Phoenix Suns that. Still, Lebron IS awesome, and he could very well keep getting betting and better, only time will tell. This league is FULL of good competition right now, and it's no easy road for anybody.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:50 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lgAZqhHVGQ
I forget how freaking good Jordan was...

[
Old 04-07-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Nice highlight vid
Old 04-07-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Gary Payton

Not bad for a Brit though!!

Oh yeah.... and Karl was the Mailman

Damm damm and damm!

I knew he was the mailman because he always delivered but i went all english and called him the postman! Does not have the same ring!

And yes!!!!! Gary Payton, not andy, the Glove, really liked him!
Old 04-07-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
The Mailman who never managed to deliver the goods...

You can't blame Malone though...lots of great players got denied championship rings because of the Jordan Era.

He was a great payer wasn't he though!

The thing you say is that really Jordan made Scottie Pippen better than perhaps he was, he made Rodman a superstar he never really was! The Bulls and Jordan cost a lot of good players some silverwear!
Old 04-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Funny as it may be, he is still wrong on so many levels.

First level... I am not discrediting Lebron. Not at all. In fact, I said he has much more raw talent then Kobe. It's the on-court leadership quality that I said Kobe has the edge on. That comes with winning championships. How long it takes you to do it has NOTHING to do with it. Kobe helped lead a Lakers team to a Championship after only 4 seasons. It took Jordan 7 years. I could see Lebron doing it here in the next couple years. They are both in the same league, but I still think Kobe has that little extra under his belt compared to James in that category for right now.

I also never said that Jordan and Kobe had crappy teams around them when they won championships, but the point is JORDAN AND KOBE MADE THEIR TEAMMATES BETTER PLAYERS. Instead of trying to compare Shaquille O'neal to Zydrunas Ilgauskas, why not look at the fact that the Cavs have had some pretty decent people on their roster since James entered the league.
Ilgauskas is actually a 2 time all star, and they also had players like Larry Hughes, Donyell Marshall, and Drew Gooden. James led them to the finals, and they lost. Ben Wallace came in last season, and they made it to the Semi-finals, but they could not stop Boston.

Winning 65 games is great, but it dont mean crap if you fail in the playoffs. Ask my Phoenix Suns that. Still, Lebron IS awesome, and he could very well keep getting betting and better, only time will tell. This league is FULL of good competition right now, and it's no easy road for anybody.
I agree and disagree but I'm running late for meetings... I'll post later tonight!

Either way...

Jordan Rules... we can agree on that!!
Old 04-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion
Damm damm and damm!

I knew he was the mailman because he always delivered but i went all english and called him the postman! Does not have the same ring!

And yes!!!!! Gary Payton, not andy, the Glove, really liked him!
I was a big GP fan as well... being that I lived in Seattle of course

Gary, Shawn Kemp the Reign Man, Mason, Kendell Gill, The X man... we had some talent for a few years that's for sure.

Dumb question... Do you get to watch NBA games live?
Old 04-07-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I was a big GP fan as well... being that I lived in Seattle of course

Gary, Shawn Kemp the Reign Man, Mason, Kendell Gill, The X man... we had some talent for a few years that's for sure.

Dumb question... Do you get to watch NBA games live?
Right about the time of these players you and i have mentioned, (loved Shawn kemp by the way, Vin Baker!, Poor old Hill stuck at Detroit Pistons)

We used to get coverage of NBA on Channel 4 like a mainstream channel, used to be late but used to give highlights and also biopics, you know highlight reels of players who'd they would focus in on, one such week was Payton and got him ripping balls of the great MJ! It was great to see!

I mean i remember watching a couple of All star games, just when Tim Duncan and Garnett were Rookies.

For some reason it went and i havent checked but im sure we only get quick quick highlights of the games now.

Our Skysports (your ESPN i guess) gives brilliant coverage to NFL but it seems NBA isnt deemed as popular.

I guess lack of coverage and that i stopped playing when i left school meant i have sadly lost interest.

Saw the Knicks play at Madison Square, i hope that when im out in America i can make as many american sports games as is possible.

I really think if you get the right place, its a great way to see a certain culture. At the Garden,we were just lumped in with all the other tourists so wasn't all that great.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:17 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion
He was a great payer wasn't he though!

The thing you say is that really Jordan made Scottie Pippen better than perhaps he was, he made Rodman a superstar he never really was! The Bulls and Jordan cost a lot of good players some silverwear!
Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman were both great players who were hall of fame caliber even without Michael Jordan. Heck, Rodman is arguably one of the best defensive players ever. However, it's a lot of the other supporting crew that the Bulls had that largely fed of the energy brought by those guys. That is what makes a great team. That is what makes a dynasty.

Jordan had a style and confidence that has been unrivaled in the NBA, and when he was in the zone his teammates got pumped up and more focused too. Guys like Paxson, Kerr, Harper, Armstrong, Longley, Cartwright, and Horace Grant. Jordan made okay players look good, and the good players look great, while leading ALL of them to legendary status.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman were both great players who were hall of fame caliber even without Michael Jordan. Heck, Rodman is arguably one of the best defensive players ever. However, it's a lot of the other supporting crew that the Bulls had that largely fed of the energy brought by those guys. That is what makes a great team. That is what makes a dynasty.

Jordan had a style and confidence that has been unrivaled in the NBA, and when he was in the zone his teammates got pumped up and more focused too. Guys like Paxson, Kerr, Harper, Armstrong, Longley, Cartwright, and Horace Grant. Jordan made okay players look good, and the good players look great, while leading ALL of them to legendary status.
It's true, Jordan had a great supporting cast with some great defensive men (Horace Grant, Dennis Rodman, etc.) and some great offensive scoring threats (Scottie Pippen, Steve Kerr - one of the highs 3-pt. % shooters ever).