Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 01-27-2009, 01:08 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
I don't like Sherk at all but most people admit that his boxing is prett decent. Look at his fight with Tyson Griffen. If you look at the compustrike he landed more punches than anyone in an MMA fight since they started recording it. Granted that is not exactly imperial evidence but he is pretty good.
Niether Penn nor Sherk are KNOWN for Stand-up because they came from the Ground...BUT both have quite a reasonable level...they need to at their level. But Penn has a far better stand-up then Sherk.

It will also depend on who they are fighting.

Sherk can hold his own, but I have to say it was impressive against Tyson, that impressed because we didnt know he could do that, prior to the match...but Penn can do stand-up with the best of them, and its because he finishes on the ground that people forget he has good stand-up...and also that its KNOWN he has good stand-up IF, you pay attention to his fights wholistically...rather then just the way he finishes

I cant talk as confidently about GSP because I dont know him quite so well, I do know that he can be caught off guard on the feet far more then Penn, but I also know he can fight from anywhere and begin a fight from anywhere. I know he's good on the ground but its a different tactic to Penn...Penn aint a sleeper on the ground like Sherk and GSP...when I mean a sleeper, I dont mean boring, or less tallented, I mean that the primary focus is control and a long way to victory...Penn doesnt look to control on the ground, he looks to finish ASAP.

If GSP takes you down, both he and you can rest, though him more then you, and you only to begin with. If Penn takes you down he isnt doing it to rest, and you wont be able to rest either...one is like being sat on by an elephant...one is like being engulfed by a swarm of bees...if an Elephants sat on you, you might die, but its slow and you might be able to rest...if your being swarmed by a mass of bees...your in for an unpleasntly quick death that wont involve any rest for you or the bee

hahaha did I just call GSP an Elephant and BJ Penn a wasp?
Old 01-27-2009, 06:28 AM
MMeh

I see GSP winning, but I agree that if Penn takes it, it will be early (round 1 or 2). BJ's conditioning has improved, but it may be a bit of a red herring. He's a natural LW, so he has to come in to the fight in good shape to make 155, and he's at a good size for that division. At 170, he's a smaller guy, doesn't have to be as diligent with his cut (if he cuts at all) to make WW, and he's fighting a giant WW in GSP. Having a guy that much bigger lean on you takes it's toll - I think that happened in BJ's fight with GSP the first time and the second time with Hughes. If GSP using his wrestling, he can sap BJ's tank, and BJ either won't have much left late, or he'll be finished.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:57 AM
ERStettin

Interesting comments from these guys. I say BJ takes this within 3 rounds.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:04 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
Which also says a lot about what they think of Penn ... GSP was able to stop all three of them fairly easily (obviously not when he lost to Serra and Hughes) ... but they all think that GSP won't be able to put Penn away ...
winning a split decision and going to the hospital for your efforts is hardly "stopping Penn easily."
Old 01-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
I think Sherk is pretty close, but he has to remember that Penn was crisp with him because Sherk really only has one tool and that is to take you down and try and out wrestle you and GnP for 5 rounds ... Penn didn't have to worry about taking strikes from his short legs and arms, so he just sat in the pocket and pumelled him for 3 (i am pretty sure it went all three) rounds ... GSP said that he didn't think Penn's striking was as good as it was, and he was thrown for a loop when Penn started connecting .. he adjusted and was able to win the second and third round ... The question is going to be how can GSP adapt from the get go .. we have seen him adapt in all his fights, so if he can escape an explosive start from BJ, he should be able to win .. He has a perfect record if a fight goes past the first round so we shall see if that remains the same after this fight .. i think GSP wins by TKO ref stoppage in the 4th or 5th ..
BJ has stood in the pocket with Gomi, Pulver twice, GSP, Machida and was never once in any trouble. Sherk is an excellent technical boxer but he has stub arms.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:48 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
winning a split decision and going to the hospital for your efforts is hardly "stopping Penn easily."
When did I say he stopped Penn easily?
Old 01-27-2009, 07:19 PM
hizo64

Man Matt's analysis was awesome, either way its going to be a GOOOD fight, cant wait to see it!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Jason 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
Don't sell Sherk short on his striking game. He has pretty underrated boxing. Even with the reach difference he poses a decent threat.
your right he just got screwed by haveing short arms.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Jason 16

I think one thing people are over looking is GSP's kicks. he could tire him out useing thrust kicks,side kicks as he is comeing in and late in the the fight 4 or 5 round when bj is tired a front kick to the solorplex could for the most part end the fight.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:55 PM
Jason 16

Quote:
are we talking about the same sherk? no way, his strikes on the guard are good and decent in the clinch .. his stand-up is not non-existant, but it barely poses a real threat ...
what are you talking about did you even watch his last fight? he looked very crisp to me